Dubai Expo

Old Nov 21st 2013, 9:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Expo

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Well, thank you Shiva.

An interesting read. For a moment there I thought I'd stumbled into a history textbook about politics in medieval kingdoms.

It shows that 99% of expats have no idea how the UAE is really run.
Same same but with obscene wealth thrown into the mix
Old Nov 21st 2013, 9:48 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Same same but with obscene wealth thrown into the mix
That was a very good overview...and interesting to see the way they have been jostled around.

If I were born into that circle I'd take a few hundred million dollars to live the quiet life and leave the rest to scrap over power.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
That was a very good overview...and interesting to see the way they have been jostled around.

If I were born into that circle I'd take a few hundred million dollars to live the quiet life and leave the rest to scrap over power.
more than a few do just that and of late a few of the top dogs have been backing away from it as their sons step up.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:11 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

I am sure some do just that, but as is the case with money and power, the more you have, the more of it you need

"I only have 3 bintlies and that son of a camel has bibteen bintlies, I must have more money!! But I wont earn it mind you"
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, perhaps Shiva can answer this:

In the UAE there are a number of local companies with recognisable names like Naboodah or Gargash or Futtaim. Are these families related to the tinpot royals or are they simply 'great' families with wasta? What makes a family have wasta as opposed to those without wasta? Is it because of blood connections?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:25 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Ok, perhaps Shiva can answer this:

In the UAE there are a number of local companies with recognisable names like Naboodah or Gargash or Futtaim. Are these families related to the tinpot royals or are they simply 'great' families with wasta? What makes a family have wasta as opposed to those without wasta? Is it because of blood connections?
Are they related to the royal, yes but then so is every emarati in the country. Are they minor royals, no.

Pretty much all of the trading families made their money in the last 70 odd years, they were the entrepreneurs who started selling brackish water out of an oil drum on the back of a wheel barrow or donkey, the guys who imported the first cars 20 yet as before there were any roads.

For the most part this lot originally worked their nuts off to get out of poverty .

Now wasta is a whole world of complicated factors from who's great grandfather rode in a ride against Sharjah to who gives the best eid gifts.
For the trading families its a massive combination of the above plus financial an political support and the unspoken agreement to never challenge the status quo. Throw in a few marriages here and there and you have the current set up.

Are they powerful, yes are they as powerful as the royals, nowhere ****ing near it.
Some of these families were from old time powerful families most weren't an have had a pretty meteoric rise to riches.

You have to remember that wealth here 70 years ago meant you had a working rifle less than 200 years old and enough camels and goats to feed your kids regularly. The royals had some money but not actually that much, what they had was the power to raise small armies and send out raiding parties. Dubai for example had a reasonable amount of wealth but it was mostly held by the Indians and Iranians who owned the pearl diving dhows. For the most part emaratis were the pearl divers who got paid a pittance.

An Abu Dhabi example is the al fahims who 70 years ago were near penniless pearl divers. They are now obscenely wealthy and relatively powerful.

The greatest irony and contradiction in the UAE is that the generation that built the place were incredibly hard working, entrepreneurial and canny, their grand and great grand children however are not.
I know of more than one local family business owner who doesn't want to retire and hand everything to his kids because they know it will all be gone inside 20 years.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Adding on that there is a distinction between those business families whose ancestors sailed from across the Gulf in the last 150 years and those who did not. And from among those who sailed, there are 2 very obvious groups.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

the previous post from a while ago.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576426

on a role now.
Here is an interpretation and opinion on Abu Dhabi's intricate internal power structure

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transp...14-major-roads

After going through all that, the recent renaming of some roads does make some sense
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the point in the world expo? genuine question, who attends and what do they see/trade etc? is it basically a bigger version of global village?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:13 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of problems to overcome for the expo, and someone has mentioned the elephant in the room:
"The frustration among those who run airports and airlines is evident.

Needless concerns over sovereignty, nationalism and politics "are getting in the way of logic", said Dubai Airports' chief executive Paul Griffiths in a recent widely reported speech. Huge investment on the ground was now threatened by a failure to address airspace issues, he warned."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25015322
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper

"I only have 3 bintlies and that son of a camel has bibteen bintlies, I must have more money!! But I wont earn it mind you"
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
What is the point in the world expo? genuine question, who attends and what do they see/trade etc? is it basically a bigger version of global village?
I dodn't see the point either; waay back in the turn of the century it appeared to be a huge deal but now you have industry specific expos , which makes more sense because you can be focused and detail oriented towards your segment.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 5:20 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I dodn't see the point either; waay back in the turn of the century it appeared to be a huge deal but now you have industry specific expos , which makes more sense because you can be focused and detail oriented towards your segment.
I DO see the point, it's a great way of getting everything in one place - think of it like dragonmart on a worldwide scale - it will boost the economy, more and more people will come here and it'll put/keep Dubai in the public eye.

It's brilliant from Dubai's point of view.

No way have they lost this. it's a nailed on cert.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
I DO see the point, it's a great way of getting everything in one place - think of it like dragonmart on a worldwide scale - it will boost the economy, more and more people will come here and it'll put/keep Dubai in the public eye.
Really? Do you know anyone who will be going to the Milan one in 2015? or the 2000 one in Germany?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm amused that no one has actually answered Kitty's question.

What *is* the expo?

What *do you see* at the expo?

What *happens* at the expo?

I poked around the net. Milan has an expo coming up. The papers, including the Italian ones, are barely talking about it. By the way has anyone in Dubai noticed that Kazakhstan is hosting the expo in 2017 after Milan's and before Dubai (assuming Dubai wins it)?

These are the other recent expos:
Yeosu, South Korean (2012)
Shanghai, China (2010)
Zaragoza, Spain (2008)
Aichi, Japan (2005)
Hannover, Germany (2000)

Any of the above expos ring a bell? Some of them apparently lost tons of money and I doubt Yeosu, Zaragoza and Aichi are recognisable world city names....looking at the list of expos held since the 1960s almost all the cities are firmly second or even third tier cities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.