Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai company owns infamous Neo-Nazi apparel brand

Dubai company owns infamous Neo-Nazi apparel brand

Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai company owns infamous Neo-Nazi apparel brand

Thor Steinar is a German apparel brand infamous for being popular with Neo-Nazis for its use of imagery associated with far right symbolism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Steinar
In Germany, the brand is closely associated to neo-nazism by the Verfassungschutz of the state of Brandenburg.[1] In German media, the brand is most often discussed in the light of this association. Wearing Thor Steinar clothes is expressly forbidden in the Bundestag, in the Landtag of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and of Saxony and in several football stadiums
In Germany, public display of Nazi-associated symbols, the Holocaust denial, and glorification of Adolf Hitler are illegal. Despite that, the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, which collects domestic intelligence for the government, appraises the number of active participants of the far right movement at around 40,000.[5]

Various authorities and organizations, including Brandenburg Verfassungsschutz,[6][7] have identified the wearing of Thor Steinar clothes as one of the indications of membership in the far right subculture.

Wearing the label is prohibited in the German Bundestag and in the Landtags of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Saxony. In addition several football clubs including Borussia Dortmund, Werder Bremen, Hamburger Sport Verein and Hertha BSC prohibit wearing the label in their stadiums.[8][9] The online retailer Amazon stopped selling the brand in 2009.

Several years ago I became aware of the brand . I am not in favour of laws banning such clothing as I firmly support freedom of expression. I just think it is rather amusing and hypocritical of a Dubai based company to own an apparel maker that clearly sympathizes with the Neo-Nazi movement.

Imagine if a Western Apparel maker marketed designs that was critical of Islam and or Muslims ; the Muslim and Arab nations would demand the European governments put a stop to such clothing and there would massive media focus on the issue.

but...
Atleast 1 group of Neo-Nazis is calling for a boycott of Thor Steinar after it was bought by the Dubai based company.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-627114.html

Last edited by Boomhauer; Jun 6th 2015 at 7:28 am.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Jollyjerm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai company owns infamous Neo-Nazi apparel brand

Yikes ... not the first time I've heard of a clothing company doing this. Know what you're wearing people.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jollyjerm View Post
Yikes ... not the first time I've heard of a clothing company doing this. Know what you're wearing people.
I dare say that you're aware of Hugo Boss's less than happy past then?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
I dare say that you're aware of Hugo Boss's less than happy past then?
Those SS uniforms were quite dapper though...
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Go to any local book fair (even the aspirationally up-marked AD book fair) and you will see half a dozen local publishers with piles of Mein Kampf on sale.
Mein Kampf was also the featured "book of the week" at one of the AD Magrudy's book-stores - till I wrote to head office and got a grovelling response that it was all an error...
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Didn't make Richard and Judy's book of the week though. so ill not bother...
Old Jun 10th 2015, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Richard and Judy ? Who are they ? Doubtless well-known celebs amongst readers of the Daily Moron.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember being completely gobsmacked when I had a discussion in Oman with a young engineer who truly, absolutely and passionately believed his ilk would NOT have been next in line were Hitler to have survived to rule the world. I asked him how that could be - how he could not know he was Semitic too and that would have spelled his doom?

He looked at me like he couldn't decide if I was a moron or if I was deliberately insulting him. I suspect I was just as busy doing the same back at him.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoohoo View Post
I can remember being completely gobsmacked when I had a discussion in Oman with a young engineer who truly, absolutely and passionately believed his ilk would NOT have been next in line were Hitler to have survived to rule the world. I asked him how that could be - how he could not know he was Semitic too and that would have spelled his doom?

He looked at me like he couldn't decide if I was a moron or if I was deliberately insulting him. I suspect I was just as busy doing the same back at him.
I spent four and a half happy years in Oman, but Omanis frequently came out with some strange views at times, not too dissimilar to those you've just come accross. Ask some of them what they think of Saddam Hussein. You will be suprised...
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoohoo View Post

The Israelis are providing small assistance to the Syrian Rebels , amongst whom are Salafists . You may wonder why the Israelis would support an ideology that ultimately seeks to kill or convert all Jews , but for Israel Assad and Iran are the number 1 threat not the Sunni rebels. In the same vein Arabs wouldn't be turned off by the 3rd Reich because it's not a concern for them.

The Nazis thought Islam being a warlike religion suited them better than meek Christianity. Albert Speer's recollection on Islam and the Arab delegation: "For theirs was a religion that believed in spreading the faith by the sword and subjugating all nations to that faith. The German peoples would have become heirs to that religion. Such a creed was perfectly suited to the Germanic temperament. "

“Islamized Germans” - The New Yorker
Old Jun 15th 2015, 6:13 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
I spent four and a half happy years in Oman, but Omanis frequently came out with some strange views at times, not too dissimilar to those you've just come accross. Ask some of them what they think of Saddam Hussein. You will be suprised...
Most of the Omanis I spoke to seem to think of Saddam as a heroic figure and I was like " WTF ? " ....

I don't know why , sounds so strange indeed
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Imagine if a Western Apparel maker marketed designs that was critical of Islam and or Muslims ; the Muslim and Arab nations would demand the European governments put a stop to such clothing and there would massive media focus on the issue.
We know that not only would the apparel maker receive credible death threats but that the state would take action to prosecute them for 'hate crimes'...regardless of if the designs were simply critical, mocking or actually hateful.

The roots of some Arab Nationalist movements and Nazism are intertwined so this doesn't surprise me one bit.

N.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post

The roots of some Arab Nationalist movements and Nazism are intertwined so this doesn't surprise me one bit.

N.
Interesting, which ones in particular?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:14 pm
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Also , most Arabs seem to willingly ignore the sheer horror of Hitler and you can find many wearing Swastika Pendants and whatnot , ......
it is so strange
Old Jun 16th 2015, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it strange ? And why are you surprised that many are fans of the late President of Iraq ? Admiration for Saddam Hussein is widespread in the Arab World.

Time to get out of that "Expat Bubble" !

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.