Drive to work

Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:47 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drive to work

Originally Posted by Millhouse
fair point. I'm just a worker bee, not the bee keeper.
A drone?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
A drone?
sort of, but less autonomous
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:00 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
sort of, but less autonomous
Aren't we all ....*philosophical sigh*

*a lone dog howls on a hill in the distance*
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where work is that day.

If I am in the office I leave The Democratic Peoples Republic of Mirdif (DPRM) and head past Busy Bay Bridge, generally at a crawl due to the Sharjah wanks. Then over G'houd bridge and off on the first exit down along the creek and into my office adjacent to Maccy Bridge. The reverse is also pretty shit. Generally both take 20-30 mins.

If I am on site its mostly in RAK or on the East Coast. Been on site in Khor Fakkan 2 days so far this week with the tunnels blasts. Then living in the DPRM really comes into its own. Out the back way via Khawaneej and onto the 611, then the Kalba Rd and onto the DXB-FUJ bypass and up the coast. 1hr 40 at reasonable speeds.

I generally drive so much these days I am over the hassle. I just whack a audio book on and chill out. the problem is sometimes you don't want to get out at your destination if you are at a good bit in the book.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:00 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
Alright campers,

Just curious here on how far most of you 'commute'.

I live Bidniz Bay and work in JLT, in the mornings it's about 25 mins along Al Khail and round JLT in. Fine, lovely drive at 120ish all the way.

In the evenings, I sit in traffic to get out of JLHelmet and then traffic all the way along SZR, stop start for roughly 45-60 minutes. I've tried to go up Hessa (I think) to Al Khail but it takes forever to queue to get onto Al Khail.

I'm not normally bothered by driving but the stop start SZR idiot race is just beginning to grind and I'm curious to see if I'm not alone in dreading it?

NB: Can't move, the mrs works in Mirdiff so Biz Bay is in the middle...give or take.
30 minutes both ways for me - Marina to DSO via Hessa St and Emirates Road. Against the main flow of traffic everyday. Its a fair commute in terms of actual distance but with no stop/start traffic its an absolute breeze.

1 set of lights, 140 for the majority, never any real traffic, iPod plugged in for a singalong, smoothie in hand, done. Would hate to get to work and already be stressed out by the journey there.

Every night on the way home I see the opposite side of Hessa St is an absolute parking lot for miles. Seriously could not handle that every day and would definitely be considering a motorbike to pick my way through.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kungpowdow
Every night on the way home I see the opposite side of Hessa St is an absolute parking lot for miles. Seriously could not handle that every day and would definitely be considering a motorbike to pick my way through.
I haven't yet worked out if sitting in the Hessa shit to then get onto Al Khail for a blast is quicker/slower/same as stop/start on SZR...
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

less than 10 minutes Greens to the back side of JLT. go through Emirates Hills so basically no traffic and no need to venture on to SZR.

roughly the same distance from Disco Gardens used to take me between 30 minutes and 90 minutes depending on the traffic.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:42 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

7 minutes (I have checked), Palm to DIC. I've forgotten what a commute is.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:55 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Scamp, just waddle over to the metro and take it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Mind you Gold Class may be the way to go if it's rush hour.

I take the metro all the time when I come to Dubai for work as I'm usually based in one of the hotels on Sheikh Zayed near DIFC. It's quick and easy and you won't be the only white face.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Scamp, just waddle over to the metro and take it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Mind you Gold Class may be the way to go if it's rush hour.

I take the metro all the time when I come to Dubai for work as I'm usually based in one of the hotels on Sheikh Zayed near DIFC. It's quick and easy and you won't be the only white face.
The thing is, the metro is probably just as slow, if not slower, I can't expect the same level of comfort as in my car, I can't smoke or eat or drink, I can't guarantee a seat, I have to 'waddle' to and from it at both ends of the journey (adding 8mins at the home end - I've timed it).

The only benefit of the metro I see is that I don't have to think or do anything.

I might give it a go next week because my car is in for service.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Usual about 20 - 25mins from Downtown to Satan’s Arsehole, sorry Sharjah. If the lights are for you getting out of Downtown and onto SZR then it’s fine, if they’re against you can take an extra 5mins. Then SZR, 120 outside lane all the way (apart from Garhoud Bridge because there are no cameras on it so 130ish there). Only other sticking point can be picking through the merging traffic on Al Khail flyover in Sharjah. If the coppers are there, as they have been lately, it’s a breeze if not it can be a few minutes of torture. For the journey home go via Business Bay to avoid SZR, and hope the lights into and around Downtown are favourable, and that not all of the traffic decides at the last moment they’re in the wrong lane to get into the Dubai Mall car park entrance they want.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Usual about 20 - 25mins from Downtown to Satan’s Arsehole, sorry Sharjah. If the lights are for you getting out of Downtown and onto SZR then it’s fine, if they’re against you can take an extra 5mins. Then SZR, 120 outside lane all the way (apart from Garhoud Bridge because there are no cameras on it so 130ish there). Only other sticking point can be picking through the merging traffic on Al Khail flyover in Sharjah. If the coppers are there, as they have been lately, it’s a breeze if not it can be a few minutes of torture. For the journey home go via Business Bay to avoid SZR, and hope the lights into and around Downtown are favourable, and that not all of the traffic decides at the last moment they’re in the wrong lane to get into the Dubai Mall car park entrance they want.
Downtown lights aren't great. But by far the worst are the ones getting out of Burj Views.....jesus wept, take forever to go green and then last about 15seconds!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Downtown lights aren't great.
There a shitshow. Weekend evenings it can take a solid 15mins to get out. Worth going out the back way, either onto Al Khail or through the tunnel into DIFC depending which way your heading.

But by far the worst are the ones getting out of Burj Views.....jesus wept, take forever to go green and then last about 15seconds!
I think they've improved the sequencing, went out them last night for the first time on a while and they were better.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

30mins each way straight along the YAS Highway to Mina Zayed. Hardly any traffic.

From 1st December, that will become 45mins each way up/down SZR to Jebel Ali.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I think they've improved the sequencing, went out them last night for the first time on a while and they were better.
Well they can't have got worse...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.