A dog

Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:26 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A dog

On a practical basis who is going to feed, water, walk (especially in the hot summer months), occasionally bath and groom Mutley and teach him to become part of your family? What you may wish for in a dog may well not be what he is used to (assuming that he has already been part of another family). There is also the fact that older dogs, like some humans, can become incontinent during their later years (insofar as they can't go through the night without peeing or otherwise) - are you prepared to cope with this?

What about the summer - do Mrs M and Mini have an extended holiday away from Dubai during the holidays? Do you join them at any time? Boarding kennels aren't cheap, especially during the summer when they're in high demand.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm thinking of adopting a dog... an older mutt to be more accurate.

The old chap probably only has a few more years left in him - so I need to understand:

- What are vets bills like?
- When the time comes, is it easy/expensive to have mutley put down or will I be digging holes in my garden while playing Amazing Grace with mini millhouse standing next to me in floods of tears??
- Mutley has no papers at all - I'm told he has a chip though - Is this a problem?

Cheers, Dr Dolittle.
I'm not from these parts of the board, but as an animal lover, as soon as I saw the word dog mentioned I came over here in a flash! What a lovely kind hearted thing to do. I have nothing but admiration for you. We could do with more people like you in the world. Old dogs need love too and unfortunately not many people are willing to give them a chance. Just because the dog is old, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to cost you a fortune in vet fees. I've had two dogs who happily lived to a ripe old age of 15 and 17 and they were hardly ever sick. They passed away peacefully in their sleep. A friend of mine who worked voluntary at her local dog's home adopted a scruffy, 10 year old mutt . Nobody thought that dog would live another year-that was 7 years ago and the old pooch is still going strong. You just can't know these things in advance, but I think its well worth the risk. That old dog will love you unconditionally because you wanted him when nobody else did.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
I'm not from these parts of the board, but as an animal lover, as soon as I saw the word dog mentioned I came over here in a flash! What a lovely kind hearted thing to do. I have nothing but admiration for you. We could do with more people like you in the world. Old dogs need love too and unfortunately not many people are willing to give them a chance. Just because the dog is old, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to cost you a fortune in vet fees. I've had two dogs who happily lived to a ripe old age of 15 and 17 and they were hardly ever sick. They passed away peacefully in their sleep. A friend of mine who worked voluntary at her local dog's home adopted a scruffy, 10 year old mutt . Nobody thought that dog would live another year-that was 7 years ago and the old pooch is still going strong. You just can't know these things in advance, but I think its well worth the risk. That old dog will love you unconditionally because you wanted him when nobody else did.
I first turned up in the middle east 30 years ago, and I have taken all my mogs and dogs with me, including expensive sojurns through quarrantine.
If I add up the cost, it is , ummm, knackers! I much prefer my feline and canine associates to the feral humans I have met.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OleJanx
I first turned up in the middle east 30 years ago, and I have taken all my mogs and dogs with me, including expensive sojurns through quarrantine.
If I add up the cost, it is , ummm, knackers! I much prefer my feline and canine associates to the feral humans I have met.
I can agree with you there! My old dog had been dumped on a motorway in Italy years ago. They left her there to die. When I decided to move to the USA there was never any doubt in my mind that she was coming with me. It was a right pain in the arse organising it all and given her age I was terrified for her well being during the flight. Luckily, she happened to cope very well and is now enjoying her retirement in her very own garden in Sunny San Diego. I couldn't think of anything better to spend my money on
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Has it got anything to do with Muslims thinking dogs are unclean?
Same rules applies to all animals.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Thanks for all your replies.

I've had dogs before so am well aware of what I'm letting myself in for - in fact, because of this, I'm specifically after an old knackered one. We have a weekend trial organised - I'll report back...
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:37 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Wow. Thanks for all your replies.

I've had dogs before so am well aware of what I'm letting myself in for - in fact, because of this, I'm specifically after an old knackered one. We have a weekend trial organised - I'll report back...
A trial! Aww..That brings back memories of childhood. My dad brought home dogs on trial twice. One was a bitch who was pregnant without anyone knowing (well the old owner forgot to mention perhaps) so we ended up with 9 german shepherds! As a kid that was an awesome time!

Good luck! I wish it was me getting a dog, but my wife has banned it while were in ME..
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Good luck! I wish it was me getting a dog, but my wife has banned it while were in ME..
I agree with this. Dogs shouldn't be here - it's too hot. Hence I want one that is old and past caring.

Oh, to answer the question about the summer vacation - we have someone at home all the time for mutely.