British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A dog (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dog-750777/)

Millhouse Mar 6th 2012 2:34 pm

A dog

I'm thinking of adopting a dog... an older mutt to be more accurate.

The old chap probably only has a few more years left in him - so I need to understand:

- What are vets bills like?
- When the time comes, is it easy/expensive to have mutley put down or will I be digging holes in my garden while playing Amazing Grace with mini millhouse standing next to me in floods of tears??
- Mutley has no papers at all - I'm told he has a chip though - Is this a problem?

Cheers, Dr Dolittle.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 7th 2012 6:36 am

Re: A dog

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9938784)

The old chap probably only has a few more years left in him - so I need to understand:

- When the time comes, is it easy/expensive to have mutley put down or will I be digging holes in my garden while playing Amazing Grace with mini millhouse standing next to me in floods of tears??
- Mutley has no papers at all - I'm told he has a chip though - Is this a problem?

Cheers, Dr Dolittle.

Woof Woof, Bark, Growwwl.

norsk Mar 7th 2012 6:56 am

Cheers, Dr Dolittle.

I'm of absolutely no help whatsoever (as usual) except when it comes to the 'when the time comes..' question. As mentioned in another thread I can provide instructions in great detail on how to complete such a task..

I applaud your willingness to adopt an old dog by the way. Not many people want to do that especially in this part of the world.

Patsy Stoned Mar 7th 2012 7:13 am

Vet bills are high here but I tend to self medicate my aging doberman. He has an aspirin a day and 2 glucosamine and chontroitin tablets. He is getting a bit doddery now but these seem to keep him well.
When the time comes the vet will do the necessary and will also dispose of the body. Unless you want to bury him in the garden.

Meow Mar 7th 2012 8:00 am

In Dubai it is actually illegal to bury a dog in a garden. I had to answer a query about it a while ago.

Ethos83 Mar 7th 2012 9:04 am

How did you come across the dog? Is it a stray? But good for you. Older dogs are great pets.

Vet bills in DXB weren't cheap but they weren't shockingly expensive.

When you have an old dog and the vet tells you the animal only has a few years left, I would not feel guilty about skipping more expensive vet treatments in the hopes the dog can get another year to live. When animals are old and tired, they know it and their instincts know the end is coming so there isn't much point trying to prolong their lives. We've had cats and dogs who developed diabetes/cancer and we tried everything under the sun to keep them going and all with the same end result: death sooner than you had expected.

Just keep up with the vaccination shots.

When the time comes the vet will make the necessary arrangements to dispose of the remains or you can simply (I hate to even say this but it's practical) wrap up the body and quietly place it in a skip somewhere.

Cheers, Dr Dolittle.

Miss Anne Thrope Mar 7th 2012 9:10 am

Get real, you only want it for fights (I guess that should be fight actually). Fess up..

norsk Mar 7th 2012 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9940259)
In Dubai it is actually illegal to bury a dog in a garden. I had to answer a query about it a while ago.

dog - illegal
maid - frowned upon
broken land cruiser - expected

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 7th 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9940374)
dog - illegal
maid - frowned upon
broken land cruiser - expected
gawdy statues and massive gates - desirable

no?

weasel decentral Mar 7th 2012 10:19 am

Adopt a snarly mother****er of a dog that will bite lumps out of anyone that enters your manor and also put up a good fight versus your neighbour's pet lion or tiger.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 7th 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9940408)
your neighbour's pet lion or tiger.

Normally I would scoff at such a statement, but at the school my mrs works at, a fat Russian kid brought in his pet lion for show and tell.

I love this place.

Boomhauer Mar 7th 2012 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9940259)

Has it got anything to do with Muslims thinking dogs are unclean?

Boomhauer Mar 7th 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9940408)
Adopt a snarly mother****er of a dog that will bite lumps out of anyone that enters your manor and also put up a good fight versus your neighbour's pet lion or tiger.

Presa Canario or Caucasian ovrcharka.

I really think anyone wanting to keep such dog breeds, including Pit Bulls, Rootweilers etc... needs a special license.
Back in the early 90s when I was schooling in London, I recal news reports of Rotts mauling people. One day while playing football out on the pitch, some guy's Rott broke away from the owner and charged us ,our coach with concern on his face told us all to stand still .

Tockalosh Mar 7th 2012 5:14 pm

Now I like aged things, old land rovers particularly but an getting an old dog is not the same

It's ok for an old landie to leak fluid everywhere.
The older they get, the better they look
You can get replacement parts for a landie
Kids won't cry when you kick the landie
Kids won't sob when you come down stairs and you can't get any life from a dead landie
Someone will always buy a dead land rover off you
You will never find bits of land rover in your food in a Philippine restaurant

Get a puppy or get a land rover

OleJanx Mar 7th 2012 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9940986)
Now I like aged things, old land rovers particularly but an getting an old dog is not the same

It's ok for an old landie to leak fluid everywhere.
The older they get, the better they look
You can get replacement parts for a landie
Kids won't cry when you kick the landie
Kids won't sob when you come down stairs and you can't get any life from a dead landie
Someone will always buy a dead land rover off you
You will never find bits of land rover in your food in a Philippine restaurant

Get a puppy or get a land rover

An older dog is like an older Land Rover. They don't want to go far, and cost a lot in upkeep...