Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Did anyone hear THIS today?

Did anyone hear THIS today?

Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone hear THIS today?

Originally Posted by Meow
Our current place isn't that big. You should see some of the mansions we looked at. You'd need walkies talkies to keep in touch in some of them.
The Shed's place is nicknamed Southfork...........
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
The Shed's place is nicknamed Southfork...........
Some places we saw could have been North, South, East & Westfork! I did rather like a brand new massive seven bedroom place that had a sort of sunken marble divan area in the main living area. It had a glass floor which they were going to have a fishtank under, with coloured lights, so you'd walk on that to get to your seat.

Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Some places we saw could have been North, South, East & Westfork! I did rather like a brand new massive seven bedroom place that had a sort of sunken marble divan area in the main living area. It had a glass floor which they were going to have a fishtank under, with coloured lights, so you'd walk on that to get to your seat.

How much are those places???
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:38 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

How much are those places???

The last one was apparently available for 250k which would have been a bargain considering it was brand new, well fitted out with the lovliest pool and pool house. Too big for us and out of budget, although we did think about it for a few minutes.

You can get a huge villa in Barsha for 200k.

Last edited by Meow; Sep 9th 2012 at 12:45 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:10 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

So much cheaper than Doha then....
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

and Abu Dhabi! Crikey.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:36 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Things are not quite that bad

I was thinking perhaps I could pursue an environmental crusade (between the mosques) and plug your wantonly destructive bore-hole (Millhouse, stop it!!).
Sorry, aside from being snarky, my questions were really to Meow to understand why you would be leaving (what some other indiscreet posters have previously and now recently described as) a great place. And then to ascertain whether there was a frenzy to rent it given the comments about the market and the scarcity of truly nice villas in Umm Suqueim/Jumeirah.

First question answered already. On the second one you mention some viewings but will the rent be going up do you know/think? I'm sure I would love the place but I'm equally sure it's more than I would be prepared to pay and anyway I'm not in the market having recently handed over a couple of cheques to greedy landlord....
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:20 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Sorry, aside from being snarky, my questions were really to Meow to understand why you would be leaving (what some other indiscreet posters have previously and now recently described as) a great place. And then to ascertain whether there was a frenzy to rent it given the comments about the market and the scarcity of truly nice villas in Umm Suqueim/Jumeirah.

First question answered already. On the second one you mention some viewings but will the rent be going up do you know/think? I'm sure I would love the place but I'm equally sure it's more than I would be prepared to pay and anyway I'm not in the market having recently handed over a couple of cheques to greedy landlord....

The landlord is asking for the same amount we paid when we moved here three years ago. Seems reasonable compared to others in this area. Two viewings today and one tomorrow. It'll go easily.

The place we're moving to is a more local place, but it'll work for us. It's not one of those big lumps of a mansion, but a reasonable sized house with a load of outbuildings. And it's cheaper
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a huge villa in Barsha for 200k.
Please don't tell everybody darling... the rents will start to go up again!!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

The Business Breakfast on Dubai Eye had a guest slot from a woman from Better Homes....... podcast:

http://dubaieye1038.com/page/Better_...2/51351?feed=5

Quote: across Dubai, prices are 20-30 percent higher than they were eight months ago......... it's from 15:20 to about 16:35 in the recording.

I say 'Garbage'! What say you?

[Better Homes of course have a vested interest in pushing prices up......]
Agreed! - What a 'Load of Old Cock!' Tanya Stubbs appears to have just arrived from Canada! - Yesterday perhaps? Still believing that the streets of Dubai are paved with Gold?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:10 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
A local friend told me a couple of months ago he is seeing around 50 new companies set up a month at the moment
And are they all hiring Western expats on huge packages, or are they mostly employing people from the subcontinent or the Philippines on much smaller deals? Three guesses, if you need them.

Taxis are busy, roads are very busy
I don't see any noticeable difference in either of those compared to the last few years. Roads are still nothing like as bad as they were pre-slump.

The UAE at the moment has very good GDP, a nice slow steady growth. I would think that rents would keep going up at the same pace for the forseeable future.
Why the smiley? You're a landlord yourself?

It's inevitable that landlords will try and push rents as hard as they can, especially since so many people bought to let at the peak of the market and so have a massive disparity between the size of their mortgage and the amount they can bring in through rent. But while banks here are still so careful about how much they loan (before the crash, rent loans were a major profit centre for all banks) and many of those companies that still provide fully-paid housing have cut back the amounts dramatically, any hopes of pushing rents back to pre-crash levels are just fantasy.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:43 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
And are they all hiring Western expats on huge packages, or are they mostly employing people from the subcontinent or the Philippines on much smaller deals? Three guesses, if you need them.

I don't see any noticeable difference in either of those compared to the last few years. Roads are still nothing like as bad as they were pre-slump.

Why the smiley? You're a landlord yourself?

It's inevitable that landlords will try and push rents as hard as they can, especially since so many people bought to let at the peak of the market and so have a massive disparity between the size of their mortgage and the amount they can bring in through rent. But while banks here are still so careful about how much they loan (before the crash, rent loans were a major profit centre for all banks) and many of those companies that still provide fully-paid housing have cut back the amounts dramatically, any hopes of pushing rents back to pre-crash levels are just fantasy.
Exactly. I know from speaking to many high level figures in companies (CEO/CFOs and so on), they have absolutely no intention of allowing prices to get that high again.

Which means that landlords can push all they want; pay won't go up, and people will simply not be able to afford the ridiculous prices they would love.