British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Did anyone hear THIS today? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/did-anyone-hear-today-770988/)

The Dean Sep 9th 2012 8:20 am

Did anyone hear THIS today?

The Business Breakfast on Dubai Eye had a guest slot from a woman from Better Homes....... podcast:

http://dubaieye1038.com/page/Better_...2/51351?feed=5

Quote: across Dubai, prices are 20-30 percent higher than they were eight months ago......... it's from 15:20 to about 16:35 in the recording.

I say 'Garbage'! What say you?

[Better Homes of course have a vested interest in pushing prices up......]

al dente Sep 9th 2012 8:24 am

Re: Did anyone hear THIS today?

They have a great expressing in Oz 'spruiking the market'. This would fall in that category.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10271169)
The Business Breakfast on Dubai Eye had a guest slot from a woman from Better Homes....... podcast:

http://dubaieye1038.com/page/Better_...2/51351?feed=5

Quote: across Dubai, prices are 20-30 percent higher than they were eight months ago......... it's from 15:20 to about 16:35 in the recording.

I say 'Garbage'! What say you?

[Better Homes of course have a vested interest in pushing prices up......]

I got mine for 62,500 in November last year.

Mate just got one 8 floors lower, 150sq ft smaller for 70,000

That's what, 13%? for something that is 12% smaller...

mikewot Sep 9th 2012 8:44 am

Where I am in JVT the prices are going up, but I suspect some of it is falling availability as most places are now rented. I paid 60k 1 chq for a 1 bed townhouse, now around 70k. There are also 2 bed villas and townhouses. Villas have massive gardens and were around 90k, now 110. But highest price rises are 2 bed townhouses, same internal room as a villa but much less garden = cheap DEWA. They were around 85 but now, if you can find one, going for 120. Thats since January.
However there are some huge building programmes going on, like Victory Heights and Jumeirah park. Be interesting to see what happens when they flood the market.

Autonomy Sep 9th 2012 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10271192)
Where I am in JVT the prices are going up, but I suspect some of it is falling availability as most places are now rented. I paid 60k 1 chq for a 1 bed townhouse, now around 70k. There are also 2 bed villas and townhouses. Villas have massive gardens and were around 90k, now 110. But highest price rises are 2 bed townhouses, same internal room as a villa but much less garden = cheap DEWA. They were around 85 but now, if you can find one, going for 120. Thats since January.
However there are some huge building programmes going on, like Victory Heights and Jumeirah park. Be interesting to see what happens when they flood the market.

We're considering a 2 bed townhouse in JVT and they are pretty rare these days... is there any sign of communal pools in JVT yet? (doubt it greatly!)

mentalist Sep 9th 2012 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10271201)
We're considering a 2 bed townhouse in JVT and they are pretty rare these days... is there any sign of communal pools in JVT yet?

Only when the underground water pipes start leaking, which is quite common apparently.

The Dean Sep 9th 2012 9:12 am

Interesting responses - some truth in this then, at least in highly-sought-after areas/developments?

The presenter, Malcolm Taylor (as you can hear in the recording) was incredulous. Hmmm.......... I will keep an eye on this.

Does this mean that many of the developments that had earlier been frozen have now been abandoned, simply to keep supply low? :confused:

mikewot Sep 9th 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10271201)
We're considering a 2 bed townhouse in JVT and they are pretty rare these days... is there any sign of communal pools in JVT yet? (doubt it greatly!)

Told that there will be no communal pools. But there are pools close by, Fitness First in Springs & Meadows.

I like JVT and they were cracking on at great speed with the landscaping before the summer temps rocketed. Hopefully it'll restart again soon. Jumeirah Park looks interesting, much smaller gardens.

Millhouse Sep 9th 2012 9:23 am

There is a massive difference between villas and flats. The Retches has certainly seen 10-20% price prices over the last year. I can't see a flat on SZR doing the same as oversupply is still clearly a problem.

Dubai is picking up - look at the place, but the driver is probably the Arab Spring unrest and the high oil price. How long all that can last is anyone guess.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2012 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10271254)
There is a massive difference between villas and flats. The Retches has certainly seen 10-20% price prices over the last year. I can't see a flat on SZR doing the same as oversupply is still clearly a problem.

Dubai is picking up - look at the place, but the driver is probably the Arab Spring unrest and the high oil price. How long all that can last is anyone guess.

I blame Global Warming, Iran and Mitt Romney. Oh, and Nick Clegg...must be that teaboy's fault.

Autonomy Sep 9th 2012 9:38 am

The building I'm in at the Marina the rent is definitely up 20% on 2 years ago for 2 beds.

Meow Sep 9th 2012 9:44 am

There seems to be a slight upward trend in villas in Jumeirah and Barsha, but not by much. As usual Better Homes is overpricing. Everything they advertise seems overpriced.

The villa we are in (and leaving in a few weeks) is being offered at the same price as three years ago.

Miss Anne Thrope Sep 9th 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10271288)
There seems to be a slight upward trend in villas in Jumeirah and Barsha, but not by much. As usual Better Homes is overpricing. Everything they advertise seems overpriced.

The villa we are in (and leaving in a few weeks) is being offered at the same price as three years ago.

May I be so impertinent as to please ask why you are leaving? Is your place still on the market?

Millhouse Sep 9th 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10271291)
May I be so impertinent as to please ask why you are leaving? Is your place still on the market?

bloody noisy mosque next door :rofl:

Meow Sep 9th 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10271291)

We need a different space for our business. It's still available although there are three viewings scheduled for this week (two very kindly arranged by me). It's a nice house and will easily be rented.

You looking to move to Umm Sequim 1 then?