British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Desi London Mayor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/desi-london-mayor-877121/)

Boomhauer May 8th 2016 2:13 pm

Re: Desi London Mayor

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11942599)
Hang on, are you suggesting there is a better option than democracy?

No system is perfect, but I don't think anyone can suggest that the UK system is intrinsically bad. Heaven knows the selection process is not ideal but what's the alternative? Too few people seem to be sufficiently interested in actually changing anything as persistent election turnouts demonstrate.

Maybe people get the politicians and government they deserve...

Democrasy needs to have a system of checks and balances that guard against anti-democratic forces exploiting democrasy to impose their will on society.

Boomhauer May 8th 2016 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11942601)
Wow, why do you even wear out your keyboard with crap like that

What do you mean? What do you find questionable about my comments that pure democrasy can lead to trouble? I didn't mean to imply the mayor should have been found by some other means ; my comment was responding to Meow's comment on democrasy .

Nether Sadiq or Zac are good choices. Sadiq's antagonistic comments on moderate Muslims shows him to be a bigot and someone who is ideologically opposed to non-Muslims. In Zac case: could the conservatives have found a more elitist establishment candidate. Papa Goldsmith used his money and influence for machinations behind the scenes .

I don't prefer Zac over Sadiq ; I don't like either one . Just as I don't like Hillary or Donald. The choices were/are terrible . Yes it was a democratic election but if the people are only given terrible choices, it is rather rigged.

Lightandbitter May 8th 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11942598)
Have you not seen any of those ghastly British First posts? Plenty of claims of the country being over run.

Anyway... ;)

http://i68.tinypic.com/wlpvsi.jpg

As a point of order, Riyad Mahrez never deserved PFA player of the year.

it should however have gone to another foreign player.

Make of that what you will

Meow May 8th 2016 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11942607)
Democrasy needs to have a system of checks and balances that guard against anti-democratic forces exploiting democrasy to impose their will on society.

Have you been drinking?

Lightandbitter May 8th 2016 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11942609)
What do you mean? What do you find questionable about my comments that pure democrasy can lead to trouble?

No it was the spelling that riled me

Boomhauer May 8th 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11942613)
Have you been drinking?

Just pomegranate juice:lol:

Meow May 8th 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11942618)
Just pomegranate juice:lol:

Looks as if it has fermented... :rolleyes:

No one is going to take you seriously if you want to discuss democracy but can't spell the word. Not on this forum at least. :cool:

Millhouse May 8th 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11942536)
Let's see any of the local Arab countries elect a Christian or Jew to a prominent position ;)

Why limit yourself to local Arab countries.

I don't think this would happen in many other countries in the World... could you see this in Japan, China, India, Pakistan, Russia, maybe even USA.

Either what we have is a triumph for democracy (i.e. "we" are setting a global standard on how it should be done) - or it is a failure of democracy due to low turn-out and the system has been gamed.

I sincerely hope it's the former.

Lightandbitter May 8th 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11942621)

No one is going to take you seriously if you want to discuss democracy but can't spell the word. Not on this forum at least. :cool:

In fairness Meow, shouldn't we put that to the vote?

Meow May 8th 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11942625)
In fairness Meow, shouldn't we put that to the vote?

:lol::lol::lol:

Boomhauer May 8th 2016 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11942621)

Picking on spelling is a falacious argument though. Everyone knew what I meant . I've made typos in other threads , and no one has made a fuss about it.

Meow May 8th 2016 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11942630)
Picking on spelling is a falacious argument though. Everyone knew what I meant . I've made typos in other threads , and no one has made a fuss about it.

I made no mention of any other errors (really, life is too short) but it is relevant when it's the topic you are attempting to discuss. The fact is that many people will judge you on spelling, grammar and a general ability to communicate clearly. That's life. *shrugs*

Lightandbitter May 8th 2016 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11942630)

its not when you cannot spell fallacious

Millhouse May 8th 2016 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11942634)
its not when you cannot spell fallacious

he might be using the urban dictionary definition.

Meow May 8th 2016 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11942638)
he might be using the urban dictionary definition.

:rofl::rofl:

I am quite willing to believe you just happened to know that without looking it up. :lol: