Dark Side of Dubai !

Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:34 am
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,189
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dark Side of Dubai !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7985361.stm
nonthaburi is online now  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:42 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Patsy Stoned's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,403
Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

This is a report from 2009. What is the point?
Patsy Stoned is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:52 am
  #3  
Thread Starter
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,189
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Didn't even look at the date, it just appeared on a side bar to click on.

Guess the point of the article was mistreatment of migrant workers in 2009.
nonthaburi is online now  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:56 am
  #4  
Thread Starter
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,189
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

is this better: http://www.bbc.com/news/25725557

14/1/14
nonthaburi is online now  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:03 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Beakersful's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Magic Kingdom
Posts: 947
Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Does it film them stabbing each other, throwing pans of boiling water because of petty arguments? Follow them as they sexual harass women, maybe hidden cameras as they break into womens apartments to jackoff off their sleeping victims, or when they get swept off the beaches for the same 'hobby'.

Perhaps it'll go into their sociable side. Like their healthy interest in your finances. Those deep, meaningful stares into the depths of your wallet when you're trying to pay for things, or their breathing down your collar as they look over your shoulder at the ATM to check you're managing your salary well. Or perhaps that's just to see how you operate one when the Arabic and English languages they come in are a mystery to them, as well as their own language many can't even read and write in.

Maybe they could edit the whole thing into a music video of hawking and spitting, intersperse it with video of disgusted looking people trying to buy food or even eat said food whilst this is going on.

Of course, the film is going everywhere...................BBC left wing propaganda at its finest.
Beakersful is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:34 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Boomhauer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,352
Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by Beakersful View Post
Does it film them stabbing each other, throwing pans of boiling water because of petty arguments? Follow them as they sexual harass women, maybe hidden cameras as they break into womens apartments to jackoff off their sleeping victims, or when they get swept off the beaches for the same 'hobby'.

Perhaps it'll go into their sociable side. Like their healthy interest in your finances. Those deep, meaningful stares into the depths of your wallet when you're trying to pay for things, or their breathing down your collar as they look over your shoulder at the ATM to check you're managing your salary well. Or perhaps that's just to see how you operate one when the Arabic and English languages they come in are a mystery to them, as well as their own language many can't even read and write in.

Maybe they could edit the whole thing into a music video of hawking and spitting, intersperse it with video of disgusted looking people trying to buy food or even eat said food whilst this is going on.

Of course, the film is going everywhere...................BBC left wing propaganda at its finest.
Do all or most of them do that. When I lived there, they sure weren't known for harassing women.

You make it sound like they deserve it. They are under terrible conditions, so there is going to be a lot of dysfunction, plus they come from their home countries treat them like #$% .
Boomhauer is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:53 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Beakersful's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Magic Kingdom
Posts: 947
Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Definitely not saying they deserve it. I'm hoping it's a balanced look at things that also includes their society and conditions back home and what drove them to come there, and how life back home affects their behaviour whilst they are abroad. We very often only see bitesized, single focused stories and there does need to be something more 'rounded' to help people understand.
Beakersful is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:08 am
  #8  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

It was made and financed by locals and shown at the film festival

Of course it's not the whole ****ing truth.

The above remark about ATM is an odd one. I've never had that but I have in more than one occasion had to help some poor bugger take money out because he didn't know how to use an ATM.

There is of course the possibility that in a few hundred years when both the oil an money have run out completely that many of the descendants of today's gcc have to go to the sub continent for work. Now that's a thought that brings a smile to the face
shiva is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:24 am
  #9  
Knee deep and rising
 
weasel decentral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,800
weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by Beakersful View Post
Definitely not saying they deserve it. I'm hoping it's a balanced look at things that also includes their society and conditions back home and what drove them to come there, and how life back home affects their behaviour whilst they are abroad. We very often only see bitesized, single focused stories and there does need to be something more 'rounded' to help people understand.
Sounds like the basis of an argument for a two tier system of treatment to me
weasel decentral is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:55 am
  #10  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,819
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Sounds like the basis of an argument for a two tier system of treatment to me
What do you mean?
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:33 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Millsyisland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 897
Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
There is of course the possibility that in a few hundred years when both the oil an money have run out completely that many of the descendants of today's gcc have to go to the sub continent for work. Now that's a thought that brings a smile to the face
The thought of this is what keeps me going every day...
Millsyisland is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:03 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Beakersful's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Magic Kingdom
Posts: 947
Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by shiva View Post

The above remark about ATM is an odd one. I've never had that but I have in more than one occasion had to help some poor bugger take money out because he didn't know how to use an ATM.
http://www.arabnews.com/news/529516

We have problems back home with older people who grew up without technology. We assume they have a level of literacy in that they can be trained to use them. But without literacy the goal becomes so much harder. It also leaves them open to being robbed. You know if you help them you're going to be honest, but others......
Beakersful is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 10:24 am
  #13  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,819
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by Beakersful View Post
http://www.arabnews.com/news/529516

We have problems back home with older people who grew up without technology. We assume they have a level of literacy in that they can be trained to use them. But without literacy the goal becomes so much harder. It also leaves them open to being robbed. You know if you help them you're going to be honest, but others......
Things like that are tragic and I'd definitely be willing to help someone struggling with an ATM.

However, I'm sure there aren't guys in camps who are keeling over dead because nobody in the entire place could help them get some dizzers out.

The problem with all these stories is the extreme is reported and you end up just scratching your head thinking, well, how much of it can you believe? How atrocious are the conditions in every camp? How thick do the press lay it on? How thick do the few interviewed lay it on? How thick to the companies pretending everything is all fine lay it on?

It's just a myriad of bullshit from all sides when fundamentally the simple facts are that a lot of people in this region aren't treated like human beings, but the entire world, us included, just turn a blind eye because it serves a purpose.
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:15 am
  #14  
Knee deep and rising
 
weasel decentral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,800
weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
What do you mean?
I mean when people start start to make excuses as to why some people should be treated differently to others.
weasel decentral is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:34 am
  #15  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Things like that are tragic and I'd definitely be willing to help someone struggling with an ATM.

However, I'm sure there aren't guys in camps who are keeling over dead because nobody in the entire place could help them get some dizzers out.

The problem with all these stories is the extreme is reported and you end up just scratching your head thinking, well, how much of it can you believe? How atrocious are the conditions in every camp? How thick do the press lay it on? How thick do the few interviewed lay it on? How thick to the companies pretending everything is all fine lay it on?

It's just a myriad of bullshit from all sides when fundamentally the simple facts are that a lot of people in this region aren't treated like human beings, but the entire world, us included, just turn a blind eye because it serves a purpose.
Every camp no but there have been many examples of guys in camps where the owners have done a runner not paying anyone and these sods get left with no money, power or water and often not even their passports. Most will be shit but livable but I guarantee there are more than a few that will be worse than any gulag or press story
shiva is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.