British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dark Side of Dubai ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dark-side-dubai-828057/)

nonthaburi Mar 10th 2014 5:34 am

Dark Side of Dubai !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7985361.stm

Patsy Stoned Mar 10th 2014 5:42 am

Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

This is a report from 2009. What is the point?

nonthaburi Mar 10th 2014 5:52 am

Didn't even look at the date, it just appeared on a side bar to click on.

Guess the point of the article was mistreatment of migrant workers in 2009.

nonthaburi Mar 10th 2014 5:56 am

is this better: http://www.bbc.com/news/25725557

14/1/14

Beakersful Mar 10th 2014 7:03 am

Does it film them stabbing each other, throwing pans of boiling water because of petty arguments? Follow them as they sexual harass women, maybe hidden cameras as they break into womens apartments to jackoff off their sleeping victims, or when they get swept off the beaches for the same 'hobby'.

Perhaps it'll go into their sociable side. Like their healthy interest in your finances. Those deep, meaningful stares into the depths of your wallet when you're trying to pay for things, or their breathing down your collar as they look over your shoulder at the ATM to check you're managing your salary well. Or perhaps that's just to see how you operate one when the Arabic and English languages they come in are a mystery to them, as well as their own language many can't even read and write in.

Maybe they could edit the whole thing into a music video of hawking and spitting, intersperse it with video of disgusted looking people trying to buy food or even eat said food whilst this is going on.

Of course, the film is going everywhere...................BBC left wing propaganda at its finest.

Boomhauer Mar 10th 2014 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11165971)
Does it film them stabbing each other, throwing pans of boiling water because of petty arguments? Follow them as they sexual harass women, maybe hidden cameras as they break into womens apartments to jackoff off their sleeping victims, or when they get swept off the beaches for the same 'hobby'.

Perhaps it'll go into their sociable side. Like their healthy interest in your finances. Those deep, meaningful stares into the depths of your wallet when you're trying to pay for things, or their breathing down your collar as they look over your shoulder at the ATM to check you're managing your salary well. Or perhaps that's just to see how you operate one when the Arabic and English languages they come in are a mystery to them, as well as their own language many can't even read and write in.

Maybe they could edit the whole thing into a music video of hawking and spitting, intersperse it with video of disgusted looking people trying to buy food or even eat said food whilst this is going on.

Of course, the film is going everywhere...................BBC left wing propaganda at its finest.

Do all or most of them do that. When I lived there, they sure weren't known for harassing women.

You make it sound like they deserve it. They are under terrible conditions, so there is going to be a lot of dysfunction, plus they come from their home countries treat them like #$% .

Beakersful Mar 10th 2014 7:53 am

Definitely not saying they deserve it. I'm hoping it's a balanced look at things that also includes their society and conditions back home and what drove them to come there, and how life back home affects their behaviour whilst they are abroad. We very often only see bitesized, single focused stories and there does need to be something more 'rounded' to help people understand.

shiva Mar 10th 2014 8:08 am

It was made and financed by locals and shown at the film festival

Of course it's not the whole ****ing truth.

The above remark about ATM is an odd one. I've never had that but I have in more than one occasion had to help some poor bugger take money out because he didn't know how to use an ATM.

There is of course the possibility that in a few hundred years when both the oil an money have run out completely that many of the descendants of today's gcc have to go to the sub continent for work. Now that's a thought that brings a smile to the face

weasel decentral Mar 10th 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11165988)
Definitely not saying they deserve it. I'm hoping it's a balanced look at things that also includes their society and conditions back home and what drove them to come there, and how life back home affects their behaviour whilst they are abroad. We very often only see bitesized, single focused stories and there does need to be something more 'rounded' to help people understand.

Sounds like the basis of an argument for a two tier system of treatment to me

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 10th 2014 8:55 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11166011)
Sounds like the basis of an argument for a two tier system of treatment to me

What do you mean?

Millsyisland Mar 10th 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11166000)
There is of course the possibility that in a few hundred years when both the oil an money have run out completely that many of the descendants of today's gcc have to go to the sub continent for work. Now that's a thought that brings a smile to the face

The thought of this is what keeps me going every day...

Beakersful Mar 10th 2014 10:03 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11166000)

The above remark about ATM is an odd one. I've never had that but I have in more than one occasion had to help some poor bugger take money out because he didn't know how to use an ATM.

http://www.arabnews.com/news/529516

We have problems back home with older people who grew up without technology. We assume they have a level of literacy in that they can be trained to use them. But without literacy the goal becomes so much harder. It also leaves them open to being robbed. You know if you help them you're going to be honest, but others......

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 10th 2014 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11166126)
http://www.arabnews.com/news/529516

We have problems back home with older people who grew up without technology. We assume they have a level of literacy in that they can be trained to use them. But without literacy the goal becomes so much harder. It also leaves them open to being robbed. You know if you help them you're going to be honest, but others......

Things like that are tragic and I'd definitely be willing to help someone struggling with an ATM.

However, I'm sure there aren't guys in camps who are keeling over dead because nobody in the entire place could help them get some dizzers out.

The problem with all these stories is the extreme is reported and you end up just scratching your head thinking, well, how much of it can you believe? How atrocious are the conditions in every camp? How thick do the press lay it on? How thick do the few interviewed lay it on? How thick to the companies pretending everything is all fine lay it on?

It's just a myriad of bullshit from all sides when fundamentally the simple facts are that a lot of people in this region aren't treated like human beings, but the entire world, us included, just turn a blind eye because it serves a purpose.

weasel decentral Mar 10th 2014 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11166040)
What do you mean?

I mean when people start start to make excuses as to why some people should be treated differently to others.

shiva Mar 10th 2014 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11166144)
Things like that are tragic and I'd definitely be willing to help someone struggling with an ATM.

However, I'm sure there aren't guys in camps who are keeling over dead because nobody in the entire place could help them get some dizzers out.

The problem with all these stories is the extreme is reported and you end up just scratching your head thinking, well, how much of it can you believe? How atrocious are the conditions in every camp? How thick do the press lay it on? How thick do the few interviewed lay it on? How thick to the companies pretending everything is all fine lay it on?

It's just a myriad of bullshit from all sides when fundamentally the simple facts are that a lot of people in this region aren't treated like human beings, but the entire world, us included, just turn a blind eye because it serves a purpose.

Every camp no but there have been many examples of guys in camps where the owners have done a runner not paying anyone and these sods get left with no money, power or water and often not even their passports. Most will be shit but livable but I guarantee there are more than a few that will be worse than any gulag or press story