Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Construction related questions.

Construction related questions.

Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:44 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction related questions.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Thanks for clearing that up.

I was wondering if rebar provided a stronger support structure better able to withstand lateral pressure cause the concrete goes through all the voids while I-Beam prevents concrete from 1 side connecting with concrete on the other side of the beam. Unless ofcourse you make holes in the beam but then you would have to strengthen the area around the hole either with additional metal or use flow drilling to make the holes. But then I figured if
I-Beam was inferior, the Americans who are experts in building high rises would not use it.

So is it purely a cost reason why Americans use I Beam and UAE uses rebar?I'm sure everyones seen pics from the early part of the 20th century where NY skyscrapers were being built with I Beam. I can certainly understand the cost issue, as my sis built a 3500 sqft house utilising traditional American wood framing and it cost just over $550,000. Labour (All Union labour) cost was the biggest chunk, which is probably why contractors opt for I-Beam over rebar, for commerical concrete structures.
the concrete around the beam is usually about 5cm wider than the beam so it is connected monolithically so to speak.
Anyhow you are looking at this in a non engineering way, whatever method you chose you design the material to resist the applied forces. the properties of each section (be it I beam or concrete column) are easily calculated and sized to suit the forces.

regarding the skyscrapers in NY, reinforced concrete is a more modern invention that structural steel and I doubt the design knowledge or experience was present to build that high in the 20s or 30s.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:46 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
So then, what is it for Christmas? Lego or Meccano?

Personally, while I love the engineering simplicity of Meccano, lego is just way cooler.
lego especially that dynamic or pneumatic lego brings out the junior builder in everyone
Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well you could use liquid threadlock , just depends on how much of a nuisance it is if you intend on breaking it down to build anew.
I thought that as I was typing the post - I would prefer nylocs for this very reason.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
lego especially that dynamic or pneumatic lego brings out the junior builder in everyone
Please Santa:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001V7RF9...SIN=B001V7RF9U

It's come along a long way.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was wondering if rebar provided a stronger support structure better able to withstand lateral pressure cause the concrete goes through all the voids while I-Beam prevents concrete from 1 side connecting with concrete on the other side of the beam. Unless ofcourse you make holes in the beam but then you would have to strengthen the area around the hole either with additional metal or use flow drilling to make the holes. But then I figured if
I-Beam was inferior, the Americans who are experts in building high rises would not use it.

So is it purely a cost reason why Americans use I Beam and UAE uses rebar?I'm sure everyones seen pics from the early part of the 20th century where NY skyscrapers were being built with I Beam. I can certainly understand the cost issue, as my sis built a 3500 sqft house utilising traditional American wood framing and it cost just over $550,000. Labour (All Union labour) cost was the biggest chunk, which is probably why contractors opt for I-Beam over rebar, for commerical concrete structures.
The simple fact is that materials that constitute the make up of concrete are available locally and some of very good quality as in high grade aggregate from RAK and Fujairah .

As Sandboy pointed out the environmental lobby here is non existent and knocking down mountains is not a problem.

Also factor in the labour costs of a insitu concrete application and also that a lot of very influential families across the G.C.C own Readymix Concrete Companies and Precast concrete and Transport and Quarry companies it's a no brainer why concrete is the most popular choice.

It will be lot of years before concrete is replaced as the number 1 construction method here in the Gulf....

Hopefully after i'm retired
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

I should declare my hand and confess to being an engineer.

Nonetheless this thread reminds me of the old Yellow Pages entry - "Boring - see Civil Engineers".
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust
I should declare my hand and confess to being an engineer.

Nonetheless this thread reminds me of the old Yellow Pages entry - "Boring - see Civil Engineers".
I'm glad you found the time to read it and comment though
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I'm glad you found the time to read it and comment though
nowt else to do these days