British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Chippies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chippies-713730/)

TGFKASE Apr 19th 2011 5:55 am

Re: Chippies

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311612)
To be fair the only time the one at JBR does good food is when the Scottish lad is there.

Tariq, is his name.. His dad used to own the chippie, along with the noodle place and rupee room. He sold up to someone and buggered off to Florida. Tariq tried to stay on but the new guy won't pay much more than subsistence money to his staff. As a result, the place has gone seriously downhill since...

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9313260)
That's worse , you're further down the pecking order than a Monkey Hanger...

My Smoggy mate was over from Bahrain this weekend, we had a right canny old time.

Didn't talk about footy too much mind, they have dropped like a bloody stone.

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313272)
Well, aye. Small Town in Yorkshire and all that. At least we know and accept our place, unlike the barcodes who think their main rivals are Real Madrid and Man U.

That's never been the case, and you know it.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9313470)
That's never been the case, and you know it.

;)

That's 2 people I've annoyed on here today.

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9313334)
Tariq, is his name.. His dad used to own the chippie, along with the noodle place and rupee room. He sold up to someone and buggered off to Florida. Tariq tried to stay on but the new guy won't pay much more than subsistence money to his staff. As a result, the place has gone seriously downhill since...

Aye sounds like Dubai - tell you what, if you could open a proper chippy, that did pork battered sausages, decent cod in well done batter you'd clean up.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9313476)
Aye sounds like Dubai - tell you what, if you could open a proper chippy, that did pork battered sausages, decent cod in well done batter you'd clean up.

STOP RIGHT THERE. having been subjected to a week of Korean "food", I am now dribbling on my desk.

co durham boy Apr 19th 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9313476)

Proper Cod and chips with real mushy peas and all cooked in Beef Dripping...not good for the heart but good for the soul...!

Spugsy Apr 20th 2011 5:35 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9313495)
Proper Cod and chips with real mushy peas and all cooked in Beef Dripping...not good for the heart but good for the soul...!

Amen brother, amen. I'll be back home in August and straight down to Tynemouth for the best fish and chips in the world.

kittycat1 Apr 20th 2011 5:35 am

Yuck@ mushy peas!

kittycat1 Apr 20th 2011 5:36 am

The best fish and chips Ive had was in Brighton- drool!

Grace O Malley Apr 20th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9315721)
Yuck@ mushy peas!

def, hideous....

Chris_m Apr 20th 2011 6:50 pm

Been to the 1 in JBR! Being a fellow scot had heard good things and went with high hopes. Once was enough for me wont be back sadly!, Although am now living in Disc Gardens! Where is the donner kebab shop??

Chris_m Apr 20th 2011 6:51 pm

And cod is ok, But Haddock is where the true taste is :rofl:

Seedubs Apr 20th 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313127)
He could be a smoggy, like me.

Exactly! Mackem indeed :curse:!

Not that I have lived there since I escaped aged 16!:D Another cracking result for the Boro last night too....:(

littlejimmy Apr 21st 2011 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Seedubs (Post 9317281)
Exactly! Mackem indeed :curse:!

Not that I have lived there since I escaped aged 16!:D Another cracking result for the Boro last night too....:(

My boss thought people from Boro were Geordies. I set him straight.

As for the football...has been a pretty shocking season, sure enough. Strachan was a big mistake. Mowbray seems to have something about him and has steered us to safety. Maybe next season we will be able to challenge.