British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Chippies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chippies-713730/)

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 10:30 am

Chippies

So I usually get mine from teh place at JBR, but went to 'The Rock'n'Sole Plaice' today.

Not only does it have the worst name ever it was utterly dreadful.

No cod. No bread rolls (despite being spitting distance from pork'n'shop). Soggy batter. Shit curry sauce.

Be warned.

kittycat1 Apr 18th 2011 10:38 am

Re: Chippies

I thought you were asking for a carpenter :rolleyes:

Absolutely no idea!

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9311393)
I thought you were asking for a carpenter :rolleyes:

Absolutely no idea!

The JBR one is the only decent one I have been to....

Meow Apr 18th 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311416)
The JBR one is the only decent one I have been to....

Have you tried The British Kitchen on Beach road yet? We keep meaning to but haven't got around to it yet.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9311425)
Have you tried The British Kitchen on Beach road yet? We keep meaning to but haven't got around to it yet.

Nah, it's owned by a mackem.

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2011 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311437)
Nah, it's owned by a mackem.

I know that feeling. I give the Magpie in Whitby a wide berth because of who runs it (clue in the name)...and the queues and the prices, to be fair.

Madam Medusa Apr 18th 2011 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311377)
So I usually get mine from teh place at JBR, but went to 'The Rock'n'Sole Plaice' today.

No cod. No bread rolls (despite being spitting distance from pork'n'shop). Soggy batter. Shit curry sauce.

Be warned.

it's rubbish...and you always have to wait for hours to get the food...we've given up...

there was a great chippie over the road from me, but it closed down...lucky really i suppose...

MM, xx

spartans53 Apr 18th 2011 12:28 pm

The only good one was the one on SZR near the Shangri La. Not found a good one since TF. Used to spend to much time in their in the summers when I was a Wanker ( wife away no kids eat rubbish)

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2011 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311377)

Be warned.

we complained the last time we were there, then they updated their FB page and I had a go at them there as well. Typical case of thinking they can let Asians run it and it be a success. Wrong.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9311476)
I know that feeling. I give the Magpie in Whitby a wide berth because of who runs it (clue in the name)...and the queues and the prices, to be fair.

I took the missus there and we loved it, my gran is from Scarborough and I spent many a happy time at Whitby, love the place.

Also took her to the Dracula museum and she asked if Dracula was real. I kid you not.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9311516)
it's rubbish...and you always have to wait for hours to get the food...we've given up...

there was a great chippie over the road from me, but it closed down...lucky really i suppose...

MM, xx

Next to Johnny Rockets (which is utter pigfood) there's a thai place, that now doubles up as a chip shop - but they only do hammour.

RUBBISH.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9311582)
we complained the last time we were there, then they updated their FB page and I had a go at them there as well. Typical case of thinking they can let Asians run it and it be a success. Wrong.

Yep, no cod so I asked if he had anything similar 'we do but it's very thin fish'. So that's NOT similar then.

I asked if it was owned by an English man and he said yes, then gave me his business card and he was called Mohammed shoobadedy Dooobadedy or suchlike.

Useless.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9311582)

To be fair the only time the one at JBR does good food is when the Scottish lad is there.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2011 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311611)
Yep, no cod so I asked if he had anything similar 'we do but it's very thin fish'. So that's NOT similar then.

I asked if it was owned by an English man and he said yes, then gave me his business card and he was called Mohammed shoobadedy Dooobadedy or suchlike.

Useless.

well Mohammed was in the top ten of boys names in the UK recently :)

kittycat1 Apr 18th 2011 12:54 pm

I took the missus there and we loved it, my gran is from Scarborough and I spent many a happy time at Whitby, love the place.

Also took her to the Dracula museum and she asked if Dracula was real. I kid you not.
Seriously- she asked if Dracula was real- oh I love it!

Why is there a Dracula museum in Scarborough- its not like he was from Scarborough is it? lol

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9311624)

Why is there a Dracula museum in Scarborough- its not like he was from Scarborough is it? lol

It's in Whitby. He was from Whitby and loved fish and chips. With loads of ketchup. Something like that.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9311624)

They guy was saying 'over there is the 350 steps that Dracula ran up when he jumped out of his coffin' and then she said 'what? he's real??!'

Well yeah, I think in the story that's where he came by boat.

Serious, ask her about the museum with real life Draculas screaming at us, she was terrified and had to run out of the fire escape!

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9311647)
It's in Whitby. He was from Whitby and loved fish and chips. With loads of ketchup. Something like that.

The only reason he stopped biting people was because he got loads of batter stuck on his fangs.

kittycat1 Apr 18th 2011 1:21 pm

So how come dracula didn't have a Yorkshire accent?

I thought he was from Transylvania? :confused:

co durham boy Apr 18th 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9311686)
So how come dracula didn't have a Yorkshire accent?

I thought he was from Transylvania? :confused:

He moved there when Mr & Mrs Dracula got divorced..

Seedubs Apr 18th 2011 6:33 pm

He was shipwrecked in Whitby on the way over from Transgenger and once slain was buried there in the Church at the top of the 199 steps. Supposedly there was a Count Dracula (apparently not a vamp) who was buried there.

Didnt know the chippy (the one that won all the awards) was owned by a skunk, I shall not enter again.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seedubs (Post 9312335)
He was shipwrecked in Whitby on the way over from Transgenger and once slain was buried there in the Church at the top of the 199 steps. Supposedly there was a Count Dracula (apparently not a vamp) who was buried there.

Didnt know the chippy (the one that won all the awards) was owned by a skunk, I shall not enter again.

Christ how many filthy mackems have we got on here now??

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9312465)

:rofl:

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9312465)

He could be a smoggy, like me.

co durham boy Apr 19th 2011 5:13 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313127)
He could be a smoggy, like me.

That's worse , you're further down the pecking order than a Monkey Hanger...

kittycat1 Apr 19th 2011 5:15 am

whats a smoggy?

TheShed Apr 19th 2011 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9311425)

Went to the British Kitchen last weekend with the missus. Gotta say that it was pretty good - at least up to the standard of the Fish & Chip room (JBR) on a good day.

On another note, people keep telling me that there is a new Donor Kebab shop opened on Beach Road but buggered if I can find it!!! Still have to traipse up to Discovery Gardens for the ultimate hangover food.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:18 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9313260)

Well, aye. Small Town in Yorkshire and all that. At least we know and accept our place, unlike the barcodes who think their main rivals are Real Madrid and Man U.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9313264)
whats a smoggy?

Someone from Middlesbrough or who supports the Boro. It's an industrial town...well, used to be... hence the smog reference.

Meow Apr 19th 2011 5:29 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 9313268)
Went to the British Kitchen last weekend with the missus. Gotta say that it was pretty good - at least up to the standard of the Fish & Chip room (JBR) on a good day.

On another note, people keep telling me that there is a new Donor Kebab shop opened on Beach Road but buggered if I can find it!!! Still have to traipse up to Discovery Gardens for the ultimate hangover food.

I know the Donner place you mean, but I'm not sure if it's open yet. It's further down, close to Citibank I think (past Umm al Sheif Road).

TGFKASE Apr 19th 2011 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311612)
To be fair the only time the one at JBR does good food is when the Scottish lad is there.

Tariq, is his name.. His dad used to own the chippie, along with the noodle place and rupee room. He sold up to someone and buggered off to Florida. Tariq tried to stay on but the new guy won't pay much more than subsistence money to his staff. As a result, the place has gone seriously downhill since...

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9313260)

My Smoggy mate was over from Bahrain this weekend, we had a right canny old time.

Didn't talk about footy too much mind, they have dropped like a bloody stone.

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313272)
Well, aye. Small Town in Yorkshire and all that. At least we know and accept our place, unlike the barcodes who think their main rivals are Real Madrid and Man U.

That's never been the case, and you know it.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9313470)
That's never been the case, and you know it.

;)

That's 2 people I've annoyed on here today.

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9313334)
Tariq, is his name.. His dad used to own the chippie, along with the noodle place and rupee room. He sold up to someone and buggered off to Florida. Tariq tried to stay on but the new guy won't pay much more than subsistence money to his staff. As a result, the place has gone seriously downhill since...

Aye sounds like Dubai - tell you what, if you could open a proper chippy, that did pork battered sausages, decent cod in well done batter you'd clean up.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9313476)
Aye sounds like Dubai - tell you what, if you could open a proper chippy, that did pork battered sausages, decent cod in well done batter you'd clean up.

STOP RIGHT THERE. having been subjected to a week of Korean "food", I am now dribbling on my desk.

co durham boy Apr 19th 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9313476)

Proper Cod and chips with real mushy peas and all cooked in Beef Dripping...not good for the heart but good for the soul...!

Spugsy Apr 20th 2011 5:35 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9313495)
Proper Cod and chips with real mushy peas and all cooked in Beef Dripping...not good for the heart but good for the soul...!

Amen brother, amen. I'll be back home in August and straight down to Tynemouth for the best fish and chips in the world.

kittycat1 Apr 20th 2011 5:35 am

Yuck@ mushy peas!

kittycat1 Apr 20th 2011 5:36 am

The best fish and chips Ive had was in Brighton- drool!