British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bucket of Vindaloo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bucket-vindaloo-914088/)

Millhouse Jun 24th 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Bucket of Vindaloo

Going splendidly

Pongo Jun 24th 2018 1:13 pm

1966 got a mention too...

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 25th 2018 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12521448)
Kane score anytime, England win, over 4 corners for England, England to win either half and over 2 goals in the game. 13/8 and all very easily won. Agony. 3 corners.
Kane to score 3 or more 15/2 Free money.
Trippier anytime (FK i reckon) 9/1 Should have stuck with Stones as my first choice.
England 2-0 9/2 Cashed out, money back
England 3-0 6/1 Cashed out, money back
BTTS: England & no, Japan v Senegal draw & yes, Poland v Colombia draw & yes 30/1 Shame England conceded, would have been a very good offer after the first two games.

Not had a look at today's games yet. Got to focus on other things like my fantasy team and work.

weasel decentral Jun 25th 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 12520297)

should have listened...

I thought it would be tighter scoreline than that, though Croatia are looking decent.

weasel decentral Jun 25th 2018 7:34 am

What are the odds on England going all the way and winning ? :rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 25th 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12521929)
What are the odds on England going all the way and winning ? :rolleyes:

Start of tournament I got 18/1. Now they are 9/1.
Either way it's free money because we're going to win this one and the next one under Sir Gareth (who should also be named Prime Minister on his return).

weasel decentral Jun 25th 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12521940)
Start of tournament I got 18/1. Now they are 9/1.
Either way it's free money because we're going to win this one and the next one under Sir Gareth (who should also be named Prime Minister on his return).

Even though it would make English football fans insufferable to listen to for another 50 years :) , I wouldn't mind seeing England lift the cup. England, Belgium or Croatia would be a great underdog story.

Millhouse Jun 25th 2018 9:00 am

England Belgium final.

We lose to them in the groups, win in the final.

co durham boy Jun 25th 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12521973)
England Belgium final.

Can't see it , would love it if they did but those 3 at the back will get exposed against top class opposition and we lack that one great player in midfield . If England had Modric then you'd have a proper side.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 25th 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12521959)
Even though it would make English football fans insufferable to listen to for another 50 years :) , I wouldn't mind seeing England lift the cup. England, Belgium or Croatia would be a great underdog story.

Lovely backhanded compliment. We probably deserve another world cup win for the hope and expectations we've suffered with.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12521973)
England Belgium final.

I'd definitely take it.

britexpat76 Jun 25th 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12521980)
Can't see it , would love it if they did but those 3 at the back will get exposed against top class opposition and we lack that one great player in midfield . If England had Modric then you'd have a proper side.

I thought I was the only one disappointed yesterday, I think against a good team they would have scored 4 and us probably 3..........

Our defence is terrible but going forward we look good and full of running......... Certainly the most exciting WC team we've had for a long time

britexpat76 Jun 25th 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12521887)
Not had a look at today's games yet. Got to focus on other things like my fantasy team and work.

That was close, I should have stuck to my one and only bet but got pissed/excited and went all in on Senagal to win..................

So ive bust my original $60 start which was as high as $160 at one point. I start again tonight, sober

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 25th 2018 9:32 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 12521999)
I thought I was the only one disappointed yesterday, I think against a good team they would have scored 4 and us probably 3..........

Our defence is terrible but going forward we look good and full of running......... Certainly the most exciting WC team we've had for a long time

You're so much better than this negativity. Was your mouth out and dream of Gareth being knighted.

britexpat76 Jun 25th 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12522003)
You're so much better than this negativity. Was your mouth out and dream of Gareth being knighted.

For once, just for once I'm trying not to think were going to go all the way............

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 25th 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 12522009)
For once, just for once I'm trying not to think were going to go all the way............

If I'm honest, my heads gone.

Millhouse Jun 25th 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12521980)

Spot on. We basically have no defense - that was apparent in the first game too.

If you think about it, 6-1 was actually 3-1 when you take out (a) the 2 penalties that probably wouldn't have resulted in goals if the game had just played, and (b) the goal that was probably offside and even if it wasn't was an accidental deflection off the back of Kane's foot. The result looks great, the game was so so. Especially the second half.

weasel decentral Jun 25th 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 12522009)

Believe the dream can come true :nod:

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 25th 2018 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12522036)
Believe the dream can come true :nod:

Leave the poor dears alone and stop setting them up for the inevitable come-uppance.

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 25th 2018 12:58 pm

Actually no, this is fun.

Come on England!!

And you England fans, just think how great you will feel when the the lads are out there holding old Jules up high, with captain, leader, legend JT right there in the middle of them ( I assume he has already purchased his replica shirt for the occasion).

Bahtatboy Jun 25th 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12519076)
Tournament football is a lot different than the league . Naturally slower and pretty average in the group stages with teams just looking to get over the line as it's only a 3 game group ...

Thankfully that hasn't materialised in the majority of the games I've watched.

Will be watching EngBel with a Belgian colleague, then will be conflicted (not really) if the next one is EngJap bearing in mind that Bahtatgirl is of that particular Asian persuasion.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2018 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12522102)
Leave the poor dears alone and stop setting them up for the inevitable come-uppance.

I can smell the bitterness.

Anyway, I'm torn for the Belgium game, lose and an 'easier' route to the final. Win and supposedly harder to get that far. Although I'm of the opinion that last 16 / QF / SF of the world cup means you're going to be facing tough competition.
Lose and take a knock and hope to then play well again.
Win and take momentum and positive vibes that we've beaten a very good side.
Draw is probably the worst - no confidence boost, finish top, 'harder' route.

weasel decentral Jun 26th 2018 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12522579)

Anyway, I'm torn for the Belgium game, lose and an 'easier' route to the final. Win and supposedly harder to get that far. Although I'm of the opinion that last 16 / QF / SF of the world cup means you're going to be facing tough competition.

If England put out a weaker team to rest the key players you can take the loss without it being a confidence knock.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2018 5:15 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12522586)
If England put out a weaker team to rest the key players you can take the loss without it being a confidence knock.

True.
I heard Martinez has already said he'll be resting players.
Interesting to have two teams thinking about possibly throwing a game. It's kind of why I'd like us to go out there and give it a good go. The momentum, confidence and competitive 'practice' is only going to be useful.

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 26th 2018 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12522579)

Bitter tastes better.

.....Or get an abrupt reality check like Russia????

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12522614)
Bitter tastes better.

.....Or get an abrupt reality check like Russia????

Quite possibly.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter who we face in the next round...it's the last 16 of a world cup and if we beat, draw or lose to Belgium and our defenders haven't been made to look average then it's likely it'll happen then.

weasel decentral Jun 27th 2018 8:42 am

Bit of a dark horse but England are looking like a decent shot to lift the cup, haven't seen as good a team since maybe '66.

Might lump on a few grand on the nose plus Harry Kane for golden boot just to keep it interesting

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12523138)
Bit of a dark horse but England are looking like a decent shot to lift the cup, haven't seen as good a team since maybe '66.

Might lump on a few grand on the nose plus Harry Kane for golden boot just to keep it interesting

You won't be able to bet with that fishing rod in your hand.

Belgium's an interesting one, I stood the Mrs in front of my epic wall chart last night and explained the routes to the final. She wants us to throw the game tomorrow and take a possibly easier route. I want us to thump Belgium 4-0 and then take on everyone great and sweep them aside.

It's tough to know what's better but I think if Sir Gareth is going to be bringing football home then we may as well go the hard way.

#Itscominghome

Millhouse Jun 27th 2018 9:25 am

I suspect both teams will be out to lose tomorrow.

britexpat76 Jun 27th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12523157)
I suspect both teams will be out to lose tomorrow.

Kind of my thinking.....

reddiva Jun 27th 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12523144)
You won't be able to bet with that fishing rod in your hand.

Belgium's an interesting one, I stood the Mrs in front of my epic wall chart last night and explained the routes to the final. She wants us to throw the game tomorrow and take a possibly easier route. I want us to thump Belgium 4-0 and then take on everyone great and sweep them aside.

It's tough to know what's better but I think if Sir Gareth is going to be bringing football home then we may as well go the hard way.

#Itscominghome

my work colleague did the very same to all us ladies on Sunday
he loves his wall chart

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12523237)
my work colleague did the very same to all us ladies on Sunday
he loves his wall chart

I didn't mean to sound patronising, just FYI, she asked because she's interested and she knows how much I love that wallchart so she asks me something about it every night.

Wall charts are probably the third best thing about major football tournaments. Behind the football and beer only.

britexpat76 Jun 27th 2018 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12523239)
I didn't mean to sound patronising, just FYI, she asked because she's interested and she knows how much I love that wallchart so she asks me something about it every night.

Wall charts are probably the third best thing about major football tournaments. Behind the football and beer only.

Ahead of the gratuitous pictures of fit female fans in the crowd?

reddiva Jun 28th 2018 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12523239)

I didn't think you were being patronising :-)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 28th 2018 5:05 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 12523252)
Ahead of the gratuitous pictures of fit female fans in the crowd?

Oh yeah, I mean they're top ten but they're not a wall chart.

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12523631)

:thumbup:

weasel decentral Jun 28th 2018 5:06 am

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12523631)

Maybe that's because you don't understand what he meant about being patronising

Just kidding

IKnowNothing Jun 28th 2018 6:05 am

I'm not expecting a scintillating game tonight.

But I'm still smiling like a pro brexit Cheshire Cat cos the krauts not only went out but also finished bottom of their group.

It's times like this I wish i still lived in germany.

Millhouse Jun 28th 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12523657)

But I'm still smiling like a pro brexit Cheshire Cat cos the krauts not only went out but also finished bottom of their group.

0-0 and loads of yellow cards/ corners etc. Both teams trying to secure second place.

co durham boy Jun 28th 2018 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12523667)
0-0 and loads of yellow cards/ corners etc. Both teams trying to secure second place.

Finishing top and progressing on that side of the draw is akin to Eddie Murphy getting that dagger in the Golden Child

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 28th 2018 9:31 am

Finishing top and having the momentum is a huge plus.

Drawing but getting a few yellows to finish second is not the end of the world but frankly I don't care either way we go in the draw. We'll beat everyone because it's coming home.

reddiva Jun 28th 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12523657)

When I lived there, if there was a Germany v England game on, all the lads were confined to camp