Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British couple kidnapped in very bad way

Originally Posted by weescot
Call the Royal Navy Liaison office in dubai - they will be able to explain fully the rules of engagement and how the UK government funds and supports their operations.
lol, thanks, but it is not something that keeps me awake at night....
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

As far as I remember, in International waters, ,....the captain of the ship has every right to blow the MF er up if he or she boards his ship without permission.

Correct me if I am wrong, or if EU, British, Uk, standards are different, but I think International water laws apply,....internationally.

I see where 2 older Brits on a sailboat versus Somli pirates may seem a no win situation...but as far as I know (former 100 Ton USCG Master captain here) they had every right to shoot them the second they boarded their boat. Or before,...IMHO

Now........to the gun or not to gun debate..........
My 2 fils....Anyone is INSANE to not be trained and to carry proper weaponry sailing in the waters these folks were.....or any waters if my opinion counts for anything
Not saying they could have stopped them, but maybe they would be in a different place now. Not captives

My heart goes out to them, and would most definately drive the first boat into the gulf to rescue them (waving flag)....
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nice

In international waters, you can't simply blow up other ships when you know there is a problem - you need a mandate and a legal framework to support actions, otherwise thsoe doing the blowing up have no legal protection. Same as on land.
They are pirates, we have spent years sorting this type of trouble out. Shove you mandate and lets start sending these idiots to hell with a broadside and cutlass between teeth!!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buddymom
As far as I remember, in International waters, ,....the captain of the ship has every right to blow the MF er up if he or she boards his ship without permission. Blow up, as in exchange fire if they are attacked - I have already said this. Self defence
Correct me if I am wrong, or if EU, British, Uk, standards are different, but I think International water laws apply,....internationally. Correct. However, this is less about standards, its about application of international law, which requires agreement between different soverign states.
My heart goes out to them, and would most definately drive the first boat into the gulf to rescue them (waving flag).... I am with you here. [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by msi64
They are pirates, we have spent years sorting this type of trouble out. Shove you mandate and lets start sending these idiots to hell with a broadside and cutlass between teeth!!
Err, its not MY mandate. Just stating that Armed Forces of any nationality cannot use Force without political direction and the legal framework to support it. Otherwise they would be just as bad as the pirates.... I know we have spent years sorting this type of this out - been there, got the t-shirt...
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

My heart goes out to them, and would most definately drive the first boat into the gulf to rescue them (waving flag).... I am with you here.

Err, its not MY mandate. Just stating that Armed Forces of any nationality cannot use Force without political direction and the legal framework to support it. Otherwise they would be just as bad as the pirates.... I know we have spent years sorting this type of this out - been there, got the t-shirt...[/QUOTE]

ok pardon me for no fancy highlighting and quoting (to busy piloting my rescue boat....) Internationl LAW I dont think applies much as MARITIME law in this situation. 2 entirely different things.
I have always been a big fan of maritime law, this is where it states you can legally "put a cap in somebody" if they board your ship without asking permission, and wait to be verbally granted said permission.

To this day,...I would not board a friends yacht without asking "permission to come aboard cap'n?"
Yes I am a real killjoy to have on a pleasure boat, out for a day on the water. My children used to calll me captain Mommy for a while.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Err, its not MY mandate. Just stating that Armed Forces of any nationality cannot use Force without political direction and the legal framework to support it. Otherwise they would be just as bad as the pirates.... I know we have spent years sorting this type of this out - been there, got the t-shirt...

ok pardon me for no fancy highlighting and quoting (to busy piloting my rescue boat....) Internationl LAW I dont think applies much as MARITIME law in this situation. 2 entirely different things.
I have always been a big fan of maritime law, this is where it states you can legally "put a cap in somebody" if they board your ship without asking permission, and wait to be verbally granted said permission.

To this day,...I would not board a friends yacht without asking "permission to come aboard cap'n?"
Yes I am a real killjoy to have on a pleasure boat, out for a day on the water. My children used to calll me captain Mommy for a while. [/QUOTE]

I am aware of this. I am not stating the position from a merchant vessels perspective, but from the warship's perspective, as previous posts talked about the Navy "blowing up the pirates". I am just talking from experience and recalling lectures from many years ago that covered rules of engagement at sea within multi-national forces.

I am done here. I hope the couple get out safely.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

I think we are agreeing in every way. Merchant, warship, personal, all vessels have the right to fend off enemy attack,in International water. . Correct me if I am wrong....anyone.......

Still feel sorry as shit for this couple,...I dont reply to many threads, but this one got me..
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are agreeing in every way. Merchant, warship, personal, all vessels have the right to fend off enemy attack,in International water. . Correct me if I am wrong....anyone.......

Still feel sorry as shit for this couple,...I dont reply to many threads, but this one got me..
This is rapidly digressing into irrelevance, but I think what Weescott is saying is that the rules for Naval Engagement are somewhat more complex in reality than in your philosophy.

Given that Weescott has, without wishing to divulge any personal details about her, a very admirable service record, I would venture to suggest that she knows of what she speaks.

I'm sure that everyone agrees with your sentiment that it is frustrating that more direct action cannot be taken, particularly in the current circumstance - as others have stated, however, one cannot descend into lawlessness to combat the lawless.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
This is rapidly digressing into irrelevance, but I think what Weescott is saying is that the rules for Naval Engagement are somewhat more complex in reality than in your philosophy.

Given that Weescott has, without wishing to divulge any personal details about her, a very admirable service record, I would venture to suggest that she knows of what she speaks.

I'm sure that everyone agrees with your sentiment that it is frustrating that more direct action cannot be taken, particularly in the current circumstance - as others have stated, however, one cannot descend into lawlessness to combat the lawless.

Agree... as to this is gettting irrelevant, and weescot knows of what she speaks. As do I . The amount of study and practical behavior to obtain a 100 Ton Master United Staes Coast guard License is frankly overwhelming. Glad to hear another female is in the ranks ,...so to speak.
Rules for naval engagement are long gone and past.... once the couple stepped on shore,...land law takes precedence.

I reiterate that the people that were seafaring should have had better knowledge of the area, and I personally would never set forward on a voyage without several form of weapons.

But, I digress,...they did ,..they are where they are, and I just maaaaaybe want to help the next couple that sets off abroad, to sail the high seas. God Speed
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:49 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Do you honestly think that sailing from Seychelles to Tanzania was "very stupid"? A little foolish, perhaps.
Sailing any serious distance in those waters without being armed and ready is stupid...those waters are some of the most dangerous in the world for piracy and lawlessness.

N.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Sailing any serious distance in those waters without being armed and ready is stupid...those waters are some of the most dangerous in the world for piracy and lawlessness.

N.
Update:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10630919

Reunited...