British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   British couple kidnapped in very bad way (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/british-couple-kidnapped-very-bad-way-652266/)

Autonomy Jan 31st 2010 5:19 pm

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

I fully support and agree with the Government's stance on not paying kidnappers and also there may well be a bit of spin on this report, however this is totally horrifying...

There must be some way to get these people out of this hell....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...pirate-captive

Inselaffen Feb 1st 2010 2:52 am

Re: British couple kidnapped in very bad way

sad situation but very stupid that they put themselves in the position where they could be kidnapped.

if the government do anything it should be a special forces op to kill the b@stards holding them. but that would put the forces at risk

commander Feb 1st 2010 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8299771)
sad situation but very stupid that they put themselves in the position where they could be kidnapped.

if the government do anything it should be a special forces op to kill the b@stards holding them. but that would put the forces at risk

thats their job, (and they enjoy it)

send em in!!!

Roadking Feb 1st 2010 4:50 am

Not to make light of the subject, but is there a good way for a British couple to be kidnapped?

lionheart Feb 1st 2010 4:57 am

Do you honestly think that sailing from Seychelles to Tanzania was "very stupid"? A little foolish, perhaps.

Autonomy Feb 1st 2010 5:36 am

misguided maybe, but it's not a crime to be stupid is it?

They need help and not much appears to be happening.

Bijilo123 Feb 1st 2010 5:45 am

...and it was reported on Sky news that earlier there was a military operation to release them which was abandoned.

Inselaffen Feb 1st 2010 7:36 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8299970)
Do you honestly think that sailing from Seychelles to Tanzania was "very stupid"? A little foolish, perhaps.

we would not send a ship through that area without joining one of the naval convoys so yes I do consider it very stupid. Piracy in that region was not being kept quiet

seven seas Feb 1st 2010 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8300048)
...and it was reported on Sky news that earlier there was a military operation to release them which was abandoned.

I imagine Sky News know next to ****all about it, but the MOD or Black Ops or whatever wouldn't be advertising the fact that they are on their way to rescue the hostages would they?

weescot Feb 1st 2010 8:32 am

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are monitoring the situation very closely and are doing everything we can to help secure a release.

"We remain in regular contact with the family and are providing support.

"We call for the safe and swift release of Paul and Rachel."

..in other words, they are doing knack all. The welfare of two retired British citizens appear sadly to be of little consequence in the heady world of international public diplomacy. Either that, or it is chaff for something interventionist being planned quietly. I really feel for this couple and their family. Remember Terry Waite.... 4 years he was incarcerated by his captors :(

Bermudashorts Feb 1st 2010 8:37 am

I agree that the British government cannot pay kidnappers, otherwise British passport holders would be prime targets in the future.

However I think it is disgraceful that the navy were told to stand down when they were a hundred yards away and were ready to launch a rescue attempt. I would hope the British Navy would have easily overcome a few pirates.

And if I were one of the Chandlers I would rather have taken my chabces in a rescue attempt then than live through this kidnap nightmare and possibly die anyway.

Hope for their safe return.

Alexa Feb 1st 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8299957)
Not to make light of the subject, but is there a good way for a British couple to be kidnapped?

Maybe if they were offered a cup of tea and cucumber sandwiches?
Sorry, I do feel awful for those 2, hope for their safe return very soon!

norsk Feb 1st 2010 5:59 pm

Why should the government spend money to help them? Did they put them in the situation or was it their choice to sail through pirate-infested waters? It's not like they shouldn't have been aware...

Yes I feel sorry for them, but no more so than those people who get tricked into carrying a small package on the flight from thailand to vietnam (or whatever) for their newest friend Thaksin and then end up facing a lifetime in a southeast asian jail...

People are responsible for their own decisions, and should not rely on the government to help them out every time they make a bad one and land in the sh*t!

</rant over>

oh by the way, why they wouldn't let the navy have some target practice with these jokers is beyond me, but i guess they were afraid of getting the hostages killed in the process. i'm sure the soldiers in question were more than ready to smoke the mf's.. :-)

Roadking Feb 1st 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8300467)
Maybe if they were offered a cup of tea and cucumber sandwiches?
Sorry, I do feel awful for those 2, hope for their safe return very soon!

heh, someone got my drift.

Autonomy Feb 1st 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8301762)
Why should the government spend money to help them? Did they put them in the situation or was it their choice to sail through pirate-infested waters? It's not like they shouldn't have been aware...

Yes I feel sorry for them, but no more so than those people who get tricked into carrying a small package on the flight from thailand to vietnam (or whatever) for their newest friend Thaksin and then end up facing a lifetime in a southeast asian jail...

People are responsible for their own decisions, and should not rely on the government to help them out every time they make a bad one and land in the sh*t!

</rant over>

oh by the way, why they wouldn't let the navy have some target practice with these jokers is beyond me, but i guess they were afraid of getting the hostages killed in the process. i'm sure the soldiers in question were more than ready to smoke the mf's.. :-)

You utter twat. I guess you're totally perfect? I guess you've never done something you regret in hindsight?

Well, you know that one time you did something you probably should not have done, the one time you might actually need help, well it ended up with you in a hole for 100 days with constant death threats and getting rifle butts smashed into your teeth...

Deal with it.

Christ so called humans make want to *****ing vomit sometimes.... you sanctimonious idiot.<rant not even near over>

(edit - just makes me so annoyed that they got themselves into something they clearly can't get out of by themselves doesn't mean no one should help...)