Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:16 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British couple kidnapped in very bad way

Originally Posted by Autonomy
You utter twat. I guess you're totally perfect? I guess you've never done something you regret in hindsight?

Well, you know that one time you did something you probably should not have done, the one time you might actually need help, well it ended up with you in a hole for 100 days with constant death threats and getting rifle butts smashed into your teeth...

Deal with it.

Christ so called humans make want to *****ing vomit sometimes.... you sanctimonious idiot.<rant not even near over>
Actually I'm nowhere near perfect. I've made plenty of mistakes in my time and I expect I will make some more before my time is up, but I think you missed my point in your 'red mist'.

What I'm saying is that they more than likely knew the associated risks when they decided to do what they did. Why is it my responsibility to indirectly pay for their recklessness? What is the long term impact on people's inability to take responsibility for their own actions of doing so? This isn't just about these two poor people, it's also about trying to avoid setting a long term precedent.

Perhaps I am a twat and a sanctimonious idiot...

[Edit: Just saw your edit. I agree that these guys need help to get out, and I'm sure they will get it soon. It is just unfortunate that others will use it as an excuse for doing sh*t they shouldn't be doing...]

Last edited by norsk; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:21 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Why is it my responsibility to indirectly pay for their recklessness?
Are you an expat still paying income tax then?

REgardless of who foots the bill not just for a potential rescue operation - but also all the time and effort of the civil servants/polticians engaged in meetings/discussions/report writing on this couple's captivity, it is still a responsibility and duty the government has to exercise to support its citizens. As individuals, we might not like it, and we might not agree with this couple's decisons that led to their captivity, but I think funding assistance to fellow citizens in trouble, as these two are, should be debated once they are safely home. Then they can answer to us directly.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:18 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Are you an expat still paying income tax then?

REgardless of who foots the bill not just for a potential rescue operation - but also all the time and effort of the civil servants/polticians engaged in meetings/discussions/report writing on this couple's captivity, it is still a responsibility and duty the government has to exercise to support its citizens. As individuals, we might not like it, and we might not agree with this couple's decisons that led to their captivity, but I think funding assistance to fellow citizens in trouble, as these two are, should be debated once they are safely home. Then they can answer to us directly.
Of course I don't pay income tax hence I used the word indirectly! And don't for a second think that income tax brings in enough cash to run the country. If it did then how come (if you live in the UK) you have to pay VAT, council tax, tax on booze, tax on cigarettes, tax on petrol and the list goes on and on...

Like I said I think these people need to be helped out of the mess they're in. There is no doubt about it that they need help, my argument was more on a principle level. To be honest my intention wasn't to shock or offend anyone and I apologise if I did, and deep down I wish that I had kept my mouth shut...

BTW, as far as I am aware the government has no obligation to help its citizens if they get in trouble abroad regardless of what has happened to them! The fact they usually do is another matter entirely.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:11 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. Norsk, I bet you wish you could delete your last 3 posts.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:18 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the 1860s the British government sent an entire army to rescue a few missionaries and British officials captured by a tribal king in what is now Ethiopia. 13,000 troops, auxilliaries and over 36,000 animals were involved in the rescue.

It's a fascinating account of a little known imperial adventure.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/force...pabyssinia.htm
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk

Of course I don't pay income tax hence I used the word indirectly! And don't for a second think that income tax brings in enough cash to run the country. If it did then how come (if you live in the UK) you have to pay VAT, council tax, tax on booze, tax on cigarettes, tax on petrol and the list goes on and on...
I have been an expat for several years now.... and it is a well known fact the UK government is not only skint, but in debt.

As much as I moan from afar the wreckless spending in general the UK government seeems to be engaged in back home, I always end with "but of course I have no right to complain since I don't pay tax anymore". The same applies to this case. Directly or indirectly, as a non-tax payer I have no ligitimate right to talk about the rights and wrongs of funding of this, or any other UK operation abroad. This is my point. Would you moan about a restaurant bill if you hadn't eaten there, would you?

As for rescuing Brits in trouble abroad - it doesn't always happen - we know that. But it does - another recent case was that metally ill Londoner that was recently executed in China. The UK tried to get a pardon etc ... These things are done on a case by case basis. But this is an elderly couple doing what we all dream about - sailing around the world. It is not about precedent as people will always do stupid things... that is human nature.

Personally, you haven't offended me at all. This forum is full of healthy debate. I am just adding to it. One day this could be me, although I'll be on a dive boat.

Last edited by weescot; Feb 2nd 2010 at 7:44 am. Reason: typos!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
In the 1860s the British government sent an entire army to rescue a few missionaries and British officials captured by a tribal king in what is now Ethiopia. 13,000 troops, auxilliaries and over 36,000 animals were involved in the rescue.

It's a fascinating account of a little known imperial adventure.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/force...pabyssinia.htm

Errrr, so it wasn't all about annexing another part of the world to plunder and pillage?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:08 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
You utter twat. I guess you're totally perfect? I guess you've never done something you regret in hindsight?

Well, you know that one time you did something you probably should not have done, the one time you might actually need help, well it ended up with you in a hole for 100 days with constant death threats and getting rifle butts smashed into your teeth...

Deal with it.

Christ so called humans make want to *****ing vomit sometimes.... you sanctimonious idiot.<rant not even near over>

(edit - just makes me so annoyed that they got themselves into something they clearly can't get out of by themselves doesn't mean no one should help...)
Auto, I am intrigued by your response...

You rally for someone to help these people, yet never actually state what you feel should be done to rescue them...

Would you condone a ransom be paid, thus making every UK passport holder a possible lottery win for some Somali piece of shit...

Would you condone sending in troops, thus putting at risk even more British lives?

Or have you come up with the 3rd path?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Read the link before you mouth off and display your ignorance.

Originally Posted by seven seas
Errrr, so it wasn't all about annexing another part of the world to plunder and pillage?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:58 am