The Brexit; Are you in or out?

View Poll Results: Should Britiain Leave EU
Yes
32.04%
No
37.86%
HELL YES
26.21%
Let more Sexy Eastern Euro girls move over here, then leave.
3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

The Brexit; Are you in or out?

Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Brexit; Are you in or out?

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Here's a similar list on FB.
I think lists and posts like that are doing more to help the leave campaign than anything else
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:35 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

The closest analogy I've seen to this whole debacle is the Suez crisis. Brexit would be Britain's economic Suez crisis.

Suez was the point at which a post war UK discovered it no longer had the military clout to go on ill-advised adventures. What power Britain did have was largely derived from its membership of a military alliance, basically being part of a bigger group of similar countries.

The UK is still rated as the 5th military power in the world, but most people would accept we can no longer go it alone on this basis.

Unfortunately, some seem to think that being the 5th biggest economy in the world means we can go it alone economically. That we can force trade deals in the same way we subjugated countries into an empire before WW2. The world has changed, it's forming large economic groupings and what economic power you have comes through that.

But perhaps Britain needs this. There is a lot of flag waving jingoism, and maybe Britain needs a self-inflicted humiliation economically to finally understand its more modest place in the world.

I can't think of many other issues where the PM, leader of the opposition, SNP, TUC, CBI, institute of directors and 90% of economists and even the Archbiship of Canterbury all agree. Three months ago most people really didn't think much about the EU, now it seems half the population is convinced that the UK government is powerless and the EU is some kind of fascist superstate with Merkel calling the shots.

I think the scariest part is really the anti-immigration rhetoric. People complaining that they cannot get doctors appointments or houses or jobs because of immigrants, as if this is nothing to do with British government policies (and unemployment is at an 8 year low, so doesn't seem to be doing much harm to job prospects). If these people take a step back, can they honestly say that this rhetoric about the country overflowing with immigrants is really the reality if you go about your day to day business? There is no more reason to believe that everybody in the EU is going to beat a path to the UK than there is to believe that everyone in Scotland and the north is going to move to Esher or Surbiton.

And what if as most economists predict, the country does indeed tank? I very much doubt the Sun and Farage and Gove et al will hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. If 800,000 jobs are lost, I would expect the rhetoric to be ramped up further, and then we get arguments about expelling immigrants already in the UK to give those jobs back to British people. It could get very toxic, very quickly.

Last edited by captainflack; Jun 14th 2016 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:41 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

• National Union of Students

From memory, And I CBA to google this. Isn't the leader of the NUS a massive racist?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:46 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Here's a similar list on FB.
There was some great audio I heard the other day, think it was on the news Quiz on radio 4. The interviewer asked the VL spokesman that 'Remain' has all these important organizations and people, including the leader of the free world, who do you have?

The response started, "Well, we have the CEO of Next".
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter
I think lists and posts like that are doing more to help the leave campaign than anything else
Why?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Why?
It includes a bunch of foreign politicians and countries who have no business meddling in the internal politics of the UK, various politicians and political parties who have their own career and/or agenda as a priority above that of the UK as a sovereign country, organizations such as the NFU which is entirely out of touch with its own members (a majority of whom want out of the EU) and a bunch of economists and bankers who are more interested in their own bonuses and/or screwing every last penny out of the UK rather than the interests of the man on the street.

So yes, that list provides more good reasons to vote "out" than to remain in.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 15th 2016 at 12:17 am.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
I can't think of many other issues where the PM, leader of the opposition, SNP, TUC, CBI, institute of directors and 90% of economists and even the Archbiship of Canterbury all agree. Three months ago most people really didn't think much about the EU, now it seems half the population is convinced that the UK government is powerless and the EU is some kind of fascist superstate with Merkel calling the shots.
The people you quote, are the problem, not the solution.

Vote out.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
.... Three months ago most people really didn't think much about the EU, now it seems half the population is convinced that the UK government is powerless and the EU is some kind of fascist superstate with Merkel calling the shots. ....
I can only wonder when the other half will wake up to the reality of what the EU has done, and will continue to do to the UK if the UK doesn't get the hë11 out.

Of course many of the Remainers actually want the UK to be absorbed into a left-leaning European super-state.

That said, it is increasingly obvious that the EU will collapse fairly rapidly if Britain votes to leave, so what "the EU plans for the future of Europe" is entirely irrelevant.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That said, it is increasingly obvious that the EU will collapse fairly rapidly if Britain votes to leave, so what "the EU plans for the future of Europe" is entirely irrelevant.
Indeed, and not just the Labour lot, I'm amazed and disgusted that so many tories do too.

Whatever happens next week, it'll make the future interesting.

I wonder whether the tories will commit electoral fraud again - like they allegedly did with the last election?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Financial & Other Institutions / Leaders
IMF
G7
G20
WTO
World Bank
OECD
WWF
Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of England
Christine Lagarde, Head of the IMF
Warran Buffett, investor and philanthropist
The Economist
Paul Johnson, Director of the Institute of Fiscal Studies

Business / Unions / Leaders
Lord Alan Sugar
Richard Branson, Virgin CEO
Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair
Andrew Swaffield, Monarch Airlines CEO
Simon Stevens, NHS England Chief Executive
Sir Terry Leahy, former CEO of Tesco
Justin King, former CEO of Sainsbury’s
Marc Bolland, fomer CEO of M&S and Morrisons
Ian Davis, chairman of Rolls Royce
Ian Livingston, former CEO of BT
Dragons Hilary Devey, James Caan, Kelly Hoppen, Piers Linney, Touker Suleyman, Sarah Willingham, Simon Woodroffe
Bosses of Audi, Peugeot, Citroen, Hyundai, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, Ford, Kia
Frances O'Grady, TUC General-Secretary
Unison
National Farmers Union

Economists
Paul Krugman, Nobel prize winning economist
Paul Collier, Oxford professor of Economics
Ngaire Woods, Oxford professor of Economics

Other prominent experts / groups

Prof. Lord Darzi, Director of Institue of Global Health Innovation
Read more at What the experts say - Britain Stronger In Europe
Stephen Hawking + 150 Fellows of the Royal Society
The Russell Group
Rob Wainwright, Director of Europol
Sir Hugh Orde, former head of the Association of Chief Police Officers
David Anderson QC, independent reviewer of terrorism legislation
Sir David Omand, former Director of GCHQ
Jens Stoltenberg, Secretary General of NATO
General Sir Richard Shirreff, former Deputy Supreme Allied Commander of Nato
Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
The people you quote, are the problem, not the solution.

Vote out.
If you think they're the problem, then you're the problem. Along with Trump, Le Pen, Boris, Farage, Daily Mail, Express, Sun et al.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

If you think they're the problem, then you're the problem. Along with Trump, Le Pen, Boris, Farage, Daily Mail, Express, Sun et al.
And again we disagree Mr. Yorkshireman.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all followed and believed the same thing.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:32 am
Hit 16's

And again we disagree Mr. Yorkshireman.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all followed and believed the same thing.
Fair enough Manuel. Perhaps I should be concentrating on how to make money out of it...
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough Manuel. Perhaps I should be concentrating on how to make money out of it...
Exactly.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:38 am

And again we disagree Mr. Yorkshireman. .....
He's a blöödy faux Yorkshireman! .... Or should that be "foe Yorkshireman"?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:16 am