The Brexit; Are you in or out?

View Poll Results: Should Britiain Leave EU
Yes
32.04%
No
37.86%
HELL YES
26.21%
Let more Sexy Eastern Euro girls move over here, then leave.
3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

The Brexit; Are you in or out?

Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: The Brexit; Are you in or out?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well despite being pro-Brexit, should my voting papers ever actually show up, I might actually switch my vote to remain <shudders>.

I'm unlikely to work in the UK ever again, and I intend to retire in Southern Europe. So, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's in my own self interest for remain - even if my heart and brain is firmly telling me otherwise.

Viva la europe!
I'm in a similar boat, except I WILL be returning the UK in a few years to live and work, which makes a difference.

I'm seeing a boat load more votes to leave being touted on my facebook feed though.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of Brits lived in Europe before the right to movement came into effect. My dad's aunt and uncle retired to southern France in the mid 1980s and they had some type of investor or property owner visa. As long as you can show you're not dependent on the state, self-employed or have sufficient net-worth, it was always fairly easy to move to various popular European countries.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Plenty of Brits lived in Europe before the right to movement came into effect. My dad's aunt and uncle retired to southern France in the mid 1980s and they had some type of investor or property owner visa. As long as you can show you're not dependent on the state, self-employed or have sufficient net-worth, it was always fairly easy to move to various popular European countries.
not sure I want some shitty visa arrangement - that's the issue.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

I'm seeing a boat load more votes to leave being touted on my facebook feed though.
Likewise. I don't know whether it's them not understanding the situation, or me...
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Likewise. I don't know whether it's them not understanding the situation, or me...
...or a function of your friends on facebook.

mine are all Leave... then again, they represent a sample of people that includes builders, postmen, NHS employees etc.

What I like most, is those likely to be most affected by any potential negative affects of a leave vote are the very ones voting for it.

I'm really changing my opinions on it - dunno why (other than my Marbella retirement plans).
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

My feed is full of people who wish to remain. I am also an innie not an outie.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

... (other than my Marbella retirement plans).
Can't decide which is the stronger image that conjours up: Sexy Beast, or The Business.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Can't decide which is the stronger image that conjours up: Sexy Beast, or The Business.
I want to be the male version of Madge from Benidorm.

My plan is to dust off the accountancy qualifications and do tax returns for British expats - for fees that will basically keep me in beer money.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:31 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

My FB has turned into remain, though the polls say exit is in the lead.

I think the remain are getting desperate, and therefore a bit more passionate. I don't think the rioting in the Euro's and the shootings will help the remain vote in any way.

TOUCHWOOD THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN - but any form of terrorist incident in Europe in the next 10days would swing the vote
Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Everything you need in one picture.

Old Jun 13th 2016, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Out. I could list the myriad reasons but in the end, it just feels so good to screw over the Jocks.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:32 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Probably worth pointing out that France is, and was then, in the EEC. And so was the UK. Free movement rights for workers is not a new thing, though it has been more clearly reinforced, and self-sufficient people are also explicitly covered by free movement.

I moved to Portugal and work self employed as a software developer. I could not move to Canada or the US or Australia like this, without going through a long and expensive visa process with medicals, assessments, validate qualifications, etc. In the EU, it's simple and quick. I didn't have to apply for anything before arriving, just book tickets and jump on a plane. We also get full access to local services like healthcare, schools, and my wife (non-EU) is allowed to work.

Back in the 90s, I got my first proper job after graduating in engineering in Germany. I would never have qualified for a work visa if I was from outside the EU, had no work experience.

I understand this works both ways, but I find it curious how many people seem convinced that leaving the EU will stop many/most european immigrants coming to the UK, but won't have any effect on Brits going the other way. It's almost like people really believe that every Brit who wants to go abroad is highly educated and wealthy and would be welcomed in any country. My brother is both, but he could only go to the US because he married an American. The world is not the same place it was a few decades ago.

Last edited by captainflack; Jun 13th 2016 at 10:38 am.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by captainflack
Probably worth pointing out that France is, and was then, in the EEC. And so was the UK. Free movement rights for workers is not a new thing, though it has been more clearly reinforced, and self-sufficient people are also explicitly covered by free movement.

I moved to Portugal and work self employed as a software developer. I could not move to Canada or the US or Australia like this, without going through a long and expensive visa process with medicals, assessments, validate qualifications, etc. In the EU, it's simple and quick. I didn't have to apply for anything before arriving, just book tickets and jump on a plane. We also get full access to local services like healthcare, schools, and my wife (non-EU) is allowed to work.

Back in the 90s, I got my first proper job after graduating in engineering in Germany. I would never have qualified for a work visa if I was from outside the EU, had no work experience.

I understand this works both ways, but I find it curious how many people seem convinced that leaving the EU will stop many/most european immigrants coming to the UK, but won't have any effect on Brits going the other way. It's almost like people really believe that every Brit who wants to go abroad is highly educated and wealthy and would be welcomed in any country. My brother is both, but he could only go to the US because he married an American. The world is not the same place it was a few decades ago.
I'm with you Mr Polished Helmet. That's why I've changed my vote.

ExpatTax by Millhouse & Co. Established, Malaga, since 2025. Got a nice ring to it.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:53 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

ExpatTax by Millhouse & Co. Established, Malaga, since 2025. Got a nice ring to it.
See you next Tuesday
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by captainflack

It all makes sense.

We just vote for what is best for us, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.