Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Best techniques of negotiating rent down

Best techniques of negotiating rent down

Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best techniques of negotiating rent down

Hi all,

It's comingup to the time where I need to renew my tenancy. I keep hearing rent is coming down etc, and would like some foolproof tips for negotiating rental prices.

I am rubbish and I mean rubbish at negotiations- an example- I was sending some money home, a colleague had told me to push the the exchange rates, so I pushed, the guys then realised they hadn't updated the board and put the rate up by 1.5....

I'm crap at being psuhy and stroppy so some tips would be great- anyone?

xxx
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best techniques of negotiating rent down

Be prepared to walk away.

Tell landlord if rent doesn't come down X amount, you are leaving. When he tries to bluff and say that he can easily find a new tenant, that it'd cost you more money to leave and find a new place because of agents fees etc, just say: 'I don't care. Rent comes down X amount or I'm leaving.' Never show any sign of weakness, never say, 'ok, I'll think about it.' Just say no and rent must come down X amount or I'm leaving.

That said, be prepared to walk away if the landlord is a silly arse. A sensible one won't risk the loss of a tenant in today's market as long as you are offering market-rate prices or a figure no more than 5% lower than the market rate.

If you are still uncomfortable with negotiating then find a friend to help you out. Preferably a large, bulky man.