Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Belated Happy Easter to the B.E. Folks

Belated Happy Easter to the B.E. Folks

Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belated Happy Easter to the B.E. Folks

The eggs, bunies etc are pagan concepts that early Christians leaders shorehorned into their own bizarre festival to make it more acceptable to their converts.

It was also Passover, which falls around Easter for obvious reasons. Funny how many forget that.

Brains - cute photo.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:59 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, who wasn't paying attention in religious education?

Let me offer you heathens the benefit of a Catholic education.

Christians do, in fact, celebrate the crucifixion because it is proof of god's love for mankind that he would sacrifice his only son for our redemption. That is much more significant in Christian theology than the resurrection (the story of which is a fairly obvious rehashing of a Roman cult of fertility connected to the Vernal equinox - look up the origins of Easter).

Of course Easter in general is especially troubling to Muslims, unlike say, Christmas, as the Quran says that Jesus (one of Islam's great prophets) was not crucified but lived on to die a natural death. And the concept of god having a son and the trinity is all complete anathema to basic Islamic theology.

A drawback of my Catholic education is the slightly superior attitude that results of course.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope

Christians do, in fact, celebrate the crucifixion because it is proof of god's love for mankind that he would sacrifice his only son for our redemption. That is much more significant in Christian theology than the resurrection (the story of which is a fairly obvious rehashing of a Roman cult of fertility connected to the Vernal equinox - look up the origins of Easter).

Of course Easter in general is especially troubling to Muslims, unlike say, Christmas, as the Quran says that Jesus (one of Islam's great prophets) was not crucified but lived on to die a natural death. And the concept of god having a son and the trinity is all complete anathema to basic Islamic theology.

A drawback of my Catholic education is the slightly superior attitude that results of course.
"I love all of you, and my son, so much that I am going to make him suffer a painfully slow death."

Is it any wonder many of us consider religion absolute bonkers?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't eat chocolate but I ****ing love an Easter Egg.

That's all that counts.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Meow
"I love all of you, and my son, so much that I am going to make him suffer a painfully slow death."

Is it any wonder many of us consider religion absolute bonkers?
But you know, somebody once said to me in a pub on the Kings Road before I ran away screaming, we are all just eggs in Jesus' omelette.

True story (apart from the screaming).
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

But you know, somebody once said to me in a pub on the Kings Road before I ran away screaming, we are all just eggs in Jesus' omelette.

True story (apart from the screaming).
That was me.

I liev my life by that saying.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Eggs at Easter represent "new life".
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soukie
and sticky fingers.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:53 am
Bored liberal

A Pagan concept. It is Spring after all, and a celebration of the new growing season.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

and acne
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:12 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

The crucifixion is commemorated but the feast of Easter celebrates the 3rd day after the crucifixion which was the resurrection.

This is why I was never allowed Easter eggs until Sunday .

Are you a practicising Catholic? It would be quite amusing to see a practicising Catholic criticising other religions for their beliefs and the way the followers conduct themselves.

I have nothing against Catholics I once worked very closely with the leaders of a Cathedral and they were terribly nice people, piss heads to boot.

Last edited by Dumbo; Apr 10th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dumbo
The crucifixion is commemorated but the feast of Easter celebrates the 3rd day after the crucifixion which was the resurrection.

This is why I was never allowed Easter eggs until Sunday .
I once mistakenly said East Egg **** instad of Hunt when telling my nephews and niece they could start looking for the ones we'd hidden.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Are you a practicising Catholic?
Recovering catholic

And Scamp, my omelette intrusion was in 1983 - so you in a previous life perhaps?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:26 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I once mistakenly said East Egg **** instad of Hunt when telling my nephews and niece they could start looking for the ones we'd hidden.
I won't ask where it was hidden.

I did know a girl once who wanted to take the Cadburys Creme Egg slogan of 'How do you eat yours?' To the extreme, it was quite messy and not altogether unpleasent.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:27 am
N/A

Recovering catholic
On the communion wine last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.