British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Being an Expat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/being-expat-692358/)

kittycat1 Nov 5th 2010 3:06 pm

Being an Expat

Hey bored,

What have you learnt about yourself moving and living abroad? Do you think its made you a better or worse person and do you think you'll ever go home to blighty? Also have your life plans (if you had one) changed since being here?

Kitty
xxx

Blue Cat Nov 5th 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Being an Expat

will have a think about that and get back to you :)

Alexa Nov 5th 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8963715)
Hey bored,

What have you learnt about yourself moving and living abroad? Do you think its made you a better or worse person and do you think you'll ever go home to blighty? Also have your life plans (if you had one) changed since being here?

Kitty
xxx

Hmmm, I have learnt that I am interested in other cultures...and ,at first seem to adapt to them well. After some time living with them, I became fed up and biased...turned into somewhat of a racist.
Then after another while I became angry and just wanted "out".
That's when I understood that the only thing I can actually change is me, and to become happy and content I had to make a concerted effort to actually control what I think and not let the negative (or what I perceive as negative) intrude. Basically you have to be happy to be happy.weird but true.
So I think living abroad with all its trials and tribulations has, by now, made me into a stronger (better? ) person.
My life plans? Well, yes, they have somewhat changed, I now have a vague idea where I actually Want to live.

I am not British, so blighty is not an option, but I am not planning to live in my home country again.

Millhouse Nov 5th 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8963949)
Hmmm, I have learnt that I am interested in other cultures...and ,at first seem to adapt to them well. After some time living with them, I became fed up and biased...turned into somewhat of a racist.
Then after another while I became angry and just wanted "out".
That's when I understood that the only thing I can actually change is me, and to become happy and content I had to make a concerted effort to actually control what I think and not let the negative (or what I perceive as negative) intrude. Basically you have to be happy to be happy.weird but true.
So I think living abroad with all its trials and tribulations has, by now, made me into a stronger (better? ) person.
My life plans? Well, yes, they have somewhat changed, I now have a vague idea where I actually Want to live.

I am not British, so blighty is not an option, but I am not planning to live in my home country again.

ace post... where is home for you though?

becoming an expat has simply done one thing for me... made me less certain of my future and what I want to do with (and get from) my life

Sandboy Nov 5th 2010 7:05 pm

that I'm not the tree hugging lefty liberal idealist I thought i was and can be as racist as the next man when confronted by an Egyptian who uses too many Zs and has pointy shoes

and that newcastle suporters are twats the world over

but that 99% of people no matter their nationality or religion are absolutely sound

Spugsy Nov 5th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 8964081)
that I'm not the tree hugging lefty liberal idealist I thought i was and can be as racist as the next man when confronted by an Egyptian who uses too many Zs and has pointy shoes

but that 99% of people no matter their nationality or religion are absolutely sound

canny game last week eh?

glynster Nov 6th 2010 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 8964081)

Slight contradiction there, I find 99% of geordies ok as well :p

Hello.Kitty Nov 6th 2010 9:24 am

Both my expat stints have helped me understand and define who I am. I think expanding your horizons should be mandatory for everyone - or rather, I don't think anyone should be allowed an opinion about something unless they have experienced it.

They've helped me work out what my priorities in life are, what I'm willing (or not) to tolerate, who I have time for and an awareness about how different cultures operate.

Being here has also made me realise how lucky I am and has taught me to appreciate what I may have taken for granted in the past... and for that, I'm grateful.

Saying that, the flip-side of the coin is that it's also hardened me up, having opened my eyes to hitherto unthought-of levels of greed, arrogance and general taking the mickey. Give people the benefit of the doubt? Orly?! o_O

Yeah, I'll go back to the UK... and gladly, when my time comes. I value the ability to truly settle more than I'd care to admit, but that again is a side-effect of being an unwilling expat at a young age.

Spikus Nov 6th 2010 9:52 am

Hey bored,

Kitty
xxx

Will not be going back to UK. Left 30 years ago and every visit since has affirmed that it is not the country for me.... I do not recognize or relate to anything and feel like an outsider. Left with a thirst for adventure and still drinking.

weasel central Nov 6th 2010 11:20 am

Hey bored,

well i wont be returning to blighty, but to the republic next door.

I have spent a few years prior to the middle east knocking about in europe, australia, the US and travelling about in asia and south america and til now that didnt reveal much to me about myself, i suppose the cultures were reasonably similar in attitude.
really the middle east is the first total change for me, and i found it very easy to get sucked into the racial generalisations here. or much quicker to judge the person on his nationality before knowing the individual.
but i have adjusted a lot not to care anymore, my expectation of production or quality is low now so if i get anything else its a bonus.
its a different way of life and getting worked up about it wont overturn thousands of years of this culture...so i don't :thumbup:

i am glad i have experienced life here, it has opened my eyes to a lot of the worlds inequalities and tier system (and will continue to do so) but it mostly confirms that my stay here will be short term.

typical Nov 6th 2010 11:58 am

I learnt how important people are, in everything.

How important including exercise in a daily routine is. (And how difficult it is to do this in the sandpit, annoyingly - I guess if I moved to the Palm I could swim to work, but that's about it.)

How going out and finding new hobbies is neither as easy nor as fun as it sounds. And that not being able to enjoy old ones is nasty.

How I don't need an anchor, and could live if I had to flee the Middle East with an hour's notice - but how wrenching that would be for other people.

How I actually am a really tight b*****d - and that my wife appreciates it. Except when it comes to bags and shoes.

How myopic discussions within the UK about the state of the nation are.

commander Nov 6th 2010 12:19 pm

Hey bored,

Kitty
xxx

no difference. Life is the same. "expat" is a wierd tag that people overuse..

Blue Cat Nov 6th 2010 12:20 pm

having given this due thought I have come to the conclusion that I am not a real expat :p

commander Nov 6th 2010 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8965273)
having given this due thought I have come to the conclusion that I am not a real expat :p

same here, no maid, porsche, attitude towards indians, etc.

Can someone (without simply Cutting and pasting from a dictionary) the defination of 'expat'

Blue Cat Nov 6th 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8965281)
same here, no maid, porsche, attitude towards indians, etc.

Can someone (without simply Cutting and pasting from a dictionary) the defination of 'expat'

I guess it is someone who has left their home country? that is different to domicile, I heard some bint talking about that on the radio :)