Being an Expat

Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being an Expat

Hey bored,

What have you learnt about yourself moving and living abroad? Do you think its made you a better or worse person and do you think you'll ever go home to blighty? Also have your life plans (if you had one) changed since being here?

Kitty
xxx
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being an Expat

will have a think about that and get back to you
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
Hey bored,

What have you learnt about yourself moving and living abroad? Do you think its made you a better or worse person and do you think you'll ever go home to blighty? Also have your life plans (if you had one) changed since being here?

Kitty
xxx
Hmmm, I have learnt that I am interested in other cultures...and ,at first seem to adapt to them well. After some time living with them, I became fed up and biased...turned into somewhat of a racist.
Then after another while I became angry and just wanted "out".
That's when I understood that the only thing I can actually change is me, and to become happy and content I had to make a concerted effort to actually control what I think and not let the negative (or what I perceive as negative) intrude. Basically you have to be happy to be happy.weird but true.
So I think living abroad with all its trials and tribulations has, by now, made me into a stronger (better? ) person.
My life plans? Well, yes, they have somewhat changed, I now have a vague idea where I actually Want to live.

I am not British, so blighty is not an option, but I am not planning to live in my home country again.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:59 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
Hmmm, I have learnt that I am interested in other cultures...and ,at first seem to adapt to them well. After some time living with them, I became fed up and biased...turned into somewhat of a racist.
Then after another while I became angry and just wanted "out".
That's when I understood that the only thing I can actually change is me, and to become happy and content I had to make a concerted effort to actually control what I think and not let the negative (or what I perceive as negative) intrude. Basically you have to be happy to be happy.weird but true.
So I think living abroad with all its trials and tribulations has, by now, made me into a stronger (better? ) person.
My life plans? Well, yes, they have somewhat changed, I now have a vague idea where I actually Want to live.

I am not British, so blighty is not an option, but I am not planning to live in my home country again.
ace post... where is home for you though?

becoming an expat has simply done one thing for me... made me less certain of my future and what I want to do with (and get from) my life
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

that I'm not the tree hugging lefty liberal idealist I thought i was and can be as racist as the next man when confronted by an Egyptian who uses too many Zs and has pointy shoes

and that newcastle suporters are twats the world over

but that 99% of people no matter their nationality or religion are absolutely sound
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:37 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post
that I'm not the tree hugging lefty liberal idealist I thought i was and can be as racist as the next man when confronted by an Egyptian who uses too many Zs and has pointy shoes

but that 99% of people no matter their nationality or religion are absolutely sound
canny game last week eh?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:42 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post

Slight contradiction there, I find 99% of geordies ok as well
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:24 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Both my expat stints have helped me understand and define who I am. I think expanding your horizons should be mandatory for everyone - or rather, I don't think anyone should be allowed an opinion about something unless they have experienced it.

They've helped me work out what my priorities in life are, what I'm willing (or not) to tolerate, who I have time for and an awareness about how different cultures operate.

Being here has also made me realise how lucky I am and has taught me to appreciate what I may have taken for granted in the past... and for that, I'm grateful.

Saying that, the flip-side of the coin is that it's also hardened me up, having opened my eyes to hitherto unthought-of levels of greed, arrogance and general taking the mickey. Give people the benefit of the doubt? Orly?! o_O

Yeah, I'll go back to the UK... and gladly, when my time comes. I value the ability to truly settle more than I'd care to admit, but that again is a side-effect of being an unwilling expat at a young age.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:52 am
IOGM

Spikus will become famous soon enough

Hey bored,

Kitty
xxx
Will not be going back to UK. Left 30 years ago and every visit since has affirmed that it is not the country for me.... I do not recognize or relate to anything and feel like an outsider. Left with a thirst for adventure and still drinking.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:20 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bored,

well i wont be returning to blighty, but to the republic next door.

I have spent a few years prior to the middle east knocking about in europe, australia, the US and travelling about in asia and south america and til now that didnt reveal much to me about myself, i suppose the cultures were reasonably similar in attitude.
really the middle east is the first total change for me, and i found it very easy to get sucked into the racial generalisations here. or much quicker to judge the person on his nationality before knowing the individual.
but i have adjusted a lot not to care anymore, my expectation of production or quality is low now so if i get anything else its a bonus.
its a different way of life and getting worked up about it wont overturn thousands of years of this culture...so i don't

i am glad i have experienced life here, it has opened my eyes to a lot of the worlds inequalities and tier system (and will continue to do so) but it mostly confirms that my stay here will be short term.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:58 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt how important people are, in everything.

How important including exercise in a daily routine is. (And how difficult it is to do this in the sandpit, annoyingly - I guess if I moved to the Palm I could swim to work, but that's about it.)

How going out and finding new hobbies is neither as easy nor as fun as it sounds. And that not being able to enjoy old ones is nasty.

How I don't need an anchor, and could live if I had to flee the Middle East with an hour's notice - but how wrenching that would be for other people.

How I actually am a really tight b*****d - and that my wife appreciates it. Except when it comes to bags and shoes.

How myopic discussions within the UK about the state of the nation are.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:19 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Hey bored,

Kitty
xxx
no difference. Life is the same. "expat" is a wierd tag that people overuse..
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

having given this due thought I have come to the conclusion that I am not a real expat
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:23 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
having given this due thought I have come to the conclusion that I am not a real expat
same here, no maid, porsche, attitude towards indians, etc.

Can someone (without simply Cutting and pasting from a dictionary) the defination of 'expat'
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by commander View Post
same here, no maid, porsche, attitude towards indians, etc.

Can someone (without simply Cutting and pasting from a dictionary) the defination of 'expat'
I guess it is someone who has left their home country? that is different to domicile, I heard some bint talking about that on the radio

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.