Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bahtatboy's Blubber-Slashing Blog

Bahtatboy's Blubber-Slashing Blog

Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:03 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahtatboy's Blubber-Slashing Blog

Originally Posted by commander
according to the extensive aero testing i have done recently with professionals, i beg to differ...id post my results however they are top secret.
Not regarding the fitness, I am sure you are very fit. However I mean you are in the normal BMI range, not close to the obese range as you mentioned before.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:45 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling fine—more energy and focus. Digestive system working fine (and better than before).

Not thinking about food 24/7, merely conscious that need to eat every 2 ½ - 3 hours, mixture of protein, good fats and low carbs; all planned, therefore easy to stick to and—so far—no temptation to deviate. Definitely not torture: each meal is an opportunity to eat correctly and move closer to my goals. Food intake must be strictly controlled because I need to shift fat and have sufficient protein intake to maintain / build muscle (especially when I start the serious resistance training next week). Strict control is easy by planning. I don't intend to be this strict after I've got where I need to be—this is change, not maintenance.

I'm trying to establish an eating pattern whereby I never feel hungry and never feel full, with sufficient intake of healthy sources of macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat). This regulates insulin levels, which stops cravings, inhibits fat storage and promotes fat utilisation. So far so good.

Overly complicated? No, its simple. I'm putting a lot of effort into establishing a strict regime—do something (or refrain from doing something) for 10 days, and it becomes a habit. And its only strict in that I plan what to eat (and its all good-tasting, healthy stuff), and eat only that. The tin of chocolate biscuits on the fridge in the office kitchen? They're not on my plan, therefore I will not put one in my mouth.

Simple food, easy to have to hand.

Family is with me now, and they're supportive (and that's why I was up at 1:30 last night—just got back from the airport). We'll eat out, but its really not that difficult to eat out and still stick to the game plan—clean protein, no unhealthy fats, low GI carbs. Will probably have one free meal when we go out for a curry. We'll also go out for Iranian, Korean, Japanese and probably Italian: lean meat, grilled poultry, grilled and raw fish, steamed or boiled or raw veg, salad, olive oil, small amounts of rice, no bread. It ain't that difficult (says he who's failed often before).

Thanks again everyone for the advice and support.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Apr 5th 2012 at 1:48 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:15 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Feeling fine—more energy and focus. Digestive system working fine (and better than before).

Not thinking about food 24/7, merely conscious that need to eat every 2 ½ - 3 hours, mixture of protein, good fats and low carbs; all planned, therefore easy to stick to and—so far—no temptation to deviate. Definitely not torture: each meal is an opportunity to eat correctly and move closer to my goals. Food intake must be strictly controlled because I need to shift fat and have sufficient protein intake to maintain / build muscle (especially when I start the serious resistance training next week). Strict control is easy by planning. I don't intend to be this strict after I've got where I need to be—this is change, not maintenance.

I'm trying to establish an eating pattern whereby I never feel hungry and never feel full, with sufficient intake of healthy sources of macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat). This regulates insulin levels, which stops cravings, inhibits fat storage and promotes fat utilisation. So far so good.

Overly complicated? No, its simple. I'm putting a lot of effort into establishing a strict regime—do something (or refrain from doing something) for 10 days, and it becomes a habit. And its only strict in that I plan what to eat (and its all good-tasting, healthy stuff), and eat only that. The tin of chocolate biscuits on the fridge in the office kitchen? They're not on my plan, therefore I will not put one in my mouth.

Simple food, easy to have to hand.

Family is with me now, and they're supportive (and that's why I was up at 1:30 last night—just got back from the airport). We'll eat out, but its really not that difficult to eat out and still stick to the game plan—clean protein, no unhealthy fats, low GI carbs. Will probably have one free meal when we go out for a curry. We'll also go out for Iranian, Korean, Japanese and probably Italian: lean meat, grilled poultry, grilled and raw fish, steamed or boiled or raw veg, salad, olive oil, small amounts of rice, no bread. It ain't that difficult (says he who's failed often before).

Thanks again everyone for the advice and support.
Sounds like you are giving this a good go. Well done and keep the updates coming. The offer of a jog is there if you want to..
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:55 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Sounds like you are giving this a good go. Well done and keep the updates coming. The offer of a jog is there if you want to..
Thanks Commander--unfortunately I can't run: bad knees (and I never enjoyed it). I'd love to cycle, though, but unfortunately my knees prevent that too. I really need to see a chiro...

Thanks for the support
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:56 pm
Hit 16's

Preparation Week: Day 4
No exercise this morning—didn't get home till 1:30 am after picking up some of the family from the airport. But managed to go at 6pm: upper body workout (chest, back, shoulders, arms).

Meals / Snacks
07:30 Meusli with skimmed milk
10:00 Small handful of nuts
12:00 Small handful of nuts, glass of skimmed milk [should have had some sardines instead]
15:30 Rotisserie chicken (small portion) and salad
20:00 Koreana Restaurant: kimchii, spinach, beef, chicken, small amount of Bibimbab (rice, egg and veg)

Successful day, despite going out to dinner—kept the portions fairly small, and all good, fresh food.

I highly recommend Koreana Restaurant, Al Barsha. Excellent Japanese and Korean food, fine service, nice and clean, good prices (AED500 for 5 of us, and we ate well). Near Ibis Hotel, beside Hacker German Kitchen: 04 392 9918.

What I Did Well Today
 Did a workout despite a very late night
 Clean food, despite eating out
 Plenty of water
 No booze

What I Should Do / Do Better Tomorrow
 Just keep it up: make sure being out all day doesn't create a problem with eating
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Meals / Snacks
07:30 Meusli with skimmed milk
10:00 Small handful of nuts
12:00 Small handful of nuts, glass of skimmed milk [should have had some sardines instead]
15:30 Rotisserie chicken (small portion) and salad
20:00 Koreana Restaurant: kimchii, spinach, beef, chicken, small amount of Bibimbab (rice, egg and veg)
Hey BB

Looks good - i couldnt do meals every 2/3 hours - its a pain searching for something suitable hence why fasting suits me.

are you eating enough to stop feeling hungry or just extending the hunger ?

personally i would skip the museli - the nuts at 10 & 12 would be a snack for me - i could easily eat a whole chicken in one sitting and thats me done for another 16-24 hour (im not too keen on veg)
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:28 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Hey BB

Looks good - i couldnt do meals every 2/3 hours - its a pain searching for something suitable hence why fasting suits me.

are you eating enough to stop feeling hungry or just extending the hunger ?

personally i would skip the museli - the nuts at 10 & 12 would be a snack for me - i could easily eat a whole chicken in one sitting and thats me done for another 16-24 hour (im not too keen on veg)
I make sure that I've got the right food on hand--it's all simple stuff, so doesn't need must prep.

Yeah, meusli's only during this week--too much sugar in the dried fruit, and not enough protein. Will switch to eggs, fish or protein shake from Week 1.

I'll be working on the principle that frequent, small meals do two things: keep the metabolism going, and keep insulin levels stable (provided they're low carb).

Don't feel particularly hungry--maybe calorie intake is too low when I ramp up the exercise. I'll see how I feel.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:56 am
Hit 16's

Preparation Week: Day 5
First Friday for a long, long time that I haven't woken up suffering from the booze the night before. Jet skiing and kayaking in the mangroves planned, so had to have an early start. Got up early, and did 25 mins HIIT on the Concept2—put some real effort into it. 2 hours kayaking was also a good workout, and good fun.

Meals / Snacks
08:30 2 slices turkey breast, tomato and cucumber
13:00 Fudruckers (the kids wanted to go): Cajun chicken breast (half portion), steamed veg, 1/3 of a baked potato
16:00 Small portion of fruit salad (courtesy of the kayaking organisers)
18:00 Handful of nuts, small bottle of milk
20:00 Lebanese (from Al Hallab, Mall of the Emirates): grilled chicken, beef and lamb, hummous, moutabul, 1 piece of felafel, salad. Resisted the beers my boys were having and the wine my wife had.

What I Did Well Today
 Did a workout despite having to leave fairly early
 Clean food, even though ate out. Left food on my plate.
 No booze

 Low intensity exercise in the evening (walk or swim)
 If going out, make sure to have plenty of water available
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Resisted the beers my boys were having and the wine my wife had.

What I Did Well Today
 No booze
Awesome work that.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:29 am
Hit 16's

Preparation Week: Day 6
09:30 Legs & Abs workout:: quite heavy. 5 min warm-up on the rower.

Basically following Body for Life exercise plan:
Set 1: 12 reps at medium weight
Set 2: 10 reps at increased weight
Set 3: 8 reps a increased weight
Set 4: 6 reps at a weight that makes last rep almost to failure
Set 5: 12 reps at Set 3 weight (almost to failure)
Set 6: 12 reps of a different exercise but hitting the same muscle group, at a weight such that the last rep is to failure.

Quads: Leg press / leg extensions
Hams: Straight-leg deadlifts, leg curls
Calves: Hyperextensions on the leg press, calf raises
Abs: Hanging leg raises (3 sets to failure) / crunches (2 sets to failure)

Meals / Snacks
09:20 Lemon squeezed into big glass of water
10:30 3 eggs, ½ tin tomatoes, a few dates
14:30 Grilled chicken, salad
16:30 Handful of nuts, glass of semi-skimmed milk
18:30 Grilled lamb, grilled chicken, salad

What I Did Well Today
 Good workout
 Clean food
 No booze

 Eat more frequently

Metrics
Weight : 102kg (that was on Prep Week Day 1)
Neck: 41cm
Chest: 124cm
Waist: 122cm
Hips: 115cm
Biceps: 39cm
Forearms: 33cm
Thighs: 55cm
Trousers: 38", tight, considerable overhang
Shirts: 124cm waist, and still not quite big enough…

I took some photos, but am not going to post them till there's an improvement to show: too awful on their own.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

height? you wizened dwarf
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Preparation Week: Day 6
09:30 Legs & Abs workout:: quite heavy. 5 min warm-up on the rower.

Basically following Body for Life exercise plan:
Set 1: 12 reps at medium weight
Set 2: 10 reps at increased weight
Set 3: 8 reps a increased weight
Set 4: 6 reps at a weight that makes last rep almost to failure
Set 5: 12 reps at Set 3 weight (almost to failure)
Set 6: 12 reps of a different exercise but hitting the same muscle group, at a weight such that the last rep is to failure.

Quads: Leg press / leg extensions
Hams: Straight-leg deadlifts, leg curls
Calves: Hyperextensions on the leg press, calf raises
Abs: Hanging leg raises (3 sets to failure) / crunches (2 sets to failure)

Meals / Snacks
09:20 Lemon squeezed into big glass of water
10:30 3 eggs, ½ tin tomatoes, a few dates
14:30 Grilled chicken, salad
16:30 Handful of nuts, glass of semi-skimmed milk
18:30 Grilled lamb, grilled chicken, salad

What I Did Well Today
 Good workout
 Clean food
 No booze

 Eat more frequently

Metrics
Weight : 102kg (that was on Prep Week Day 1)
Neck: 41cm
Chest: 124cm
Waist: 122cm
Hips: 115cm
Biceps: 39cm
Forearms: 33cm
Thighs: 55cm
Trousers: 38", tight, considerable overhang
Shirts: 124cm waist, and still not quite big enough…

I took some photos, but am not going to post them till there's an improvement to show: too awful on their own.
I like the way the Metrics suddenly become Imperial when it gets to your waistband........
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem with the shirts not fitting is due to them being a 124cm waist. I'm pretty sure I get mine measured to fit my neck and chest.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:46 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
height? you wizened dwarf
175cm
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:47 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by The Dean
I like the way the Metrics suddenly become Imperial when it gets to your waistband........
Coz my trousers are sized in inches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.