British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Baby with cancer cured through marijuana? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/baby-cancer-cured-through-marijuana-804984/)

Irishbeekeeper Aug 3rd 2013 8:02 pm

Baby with cancer cured through marijuana?

Is this true and if yes then wow!
I myself would try ANYTHING!
Kudos to the parents!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...na-father.html

UKCityGent Aug 3rd 2013 9:48 pm

Re: Baby with cancer cured through marijuana?

Its got nothing to do with marijuana - perhaps the chemo did what it said on the tin

Why do people believe that marijuana has magical properties ?

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10833821)

http://i.imgur.com/qbB7RdF.jpg

Have 3 guesses why.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 6:09 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10834089)
http://i.imgur.com/qbB7RdF.jpg

Have 3 guesses why.

They listen to the music of a mixed race man with a white father who hated his white side so much he spent his career telling everyone he was black and writing songs against 'the man'?

I think it's because people like the idea that something that makes you feel good may actually be good for you.

N.

shiva Aug 4th 2013 6:30 am

The above are all valid but there is some serious research and some promising early results in canabinoids. There are some indications that there may be some efficacy in treating cancerous cells. Lots if mays at this stage though.
As an adjunct to chemo though that is already well proven in its efficacy and there is no medical reason not to use it only residual fear from the 50's and 60's fear campaigns.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 6:40 am

Its got nothing to do with marijuana

How do you know that?? :confused: THC in marijuana has for centuries been used to treat a variety of ailments in a similar way to hundreds of other natural products.

I'm not saying it's magical, however, why are you so adamant that it doesn't have any healing properties? :confused:

At the end of the day, you probably believe that Aloe Vera has beneficial healing properties so why can't marijuana? :confused:

No one is saying it's a wonder plant but there are many documented cases where people have tried all the different commercial drugs with no relief only to try marijuana and found it to work. I'm not saying that everyone should head out and 'spark a fatty' but THC can be ingested in several different forms with little or no side effects. So if it helps then wheres the problem?

The only reason marijuana was made illegal is due to lobbying by the paper and cotton industries back in the day, as hemp had the potential to be such a versatile product and these industries were set to lose out on a lot of cash.

Even as a recreational drug marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol and cigarettes and far less addictive than coffee.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 4th 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834176)

I think it's because people like the idea that something that makes you feel good may actually be good for you.

N.

well there a lot of things out there that make you feel very very good and are good for you ;)

case in point : your signature :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834198)
How do you know that?? :confused: THC in marijuana has for centuries been used to treat a variety of ailments in a similar way to hundreds of other natural products.

I'm not saying it's magical, however, why are you so adamant that it doesn't have any healing properties? :confused:

At the end of the day, you probably believe that Aloe Vera has beneficial healing properties so why can't marijuana? :confused:

No one is saying it's a wonder plant but there are many documented cases where people have tried all the different commercial drugs with no relief only to try marijuana and found it to work. I'm not saying that everyone should head out and 'spark a fatty' but THC can be ingested in several different forms with little or no side effects. So if it helps then wheres the problem?

The only reason marijuana was made illegal is due to lobbying by the paper and cotton industries back in the day, as hemp had the potential to be such a versatile product and these industries were set to lose out on a lot of cash.

Even as a recreational drug marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol and cigarettes and far less addictive than coffee.

UKCityGent Aug 4th 2013 8:04 am

jam25mack - read what i wrote again

My retort was that the baby wasnt "cured" of cancer by injecting marijuana. The marijuana helped with the pain relief and as a stimulant for pain relief it is one of the best (and natural cures).

There were a couple of tests done (one by Harvard) on the effacy of using pot as a cancer cure but it only got as far as rats/mice (from memory).

Do you doubt that the chemo wasnt an active measure ?

Personally i would legalise pot, purely for the tax to go to the government and standardisation of the quality, rather than criminals.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10834201)
well there a lot of things out there that make you feel very very good and are good for you ;)

case in point : your signature :thumbsup:

No argument there. Weed has been used in medicine for millennia - not sure if smoking it is so good for the body though). It's interesting to see how in the Victorian era (an age of widespread innovation and social change) most drugs were readily available. Today we are told we are safer and have more freedom but are not allowed to decide for ourselves what we can put in our own bodies.

The libertarian in me says that any adult should be allowed to buy and consume any drug he or she can afford if so inclined. Provided no harm comes to others (in the same way we stomp on drunk drivers and violent drunks, sack people who come to work plastered and take a dim view of people who smoke around non-smokers without permission etc) who cares what people do?

I think there's a lot of potential tax revenue being lost with drugs for sure. Governments love to intrude on citizen's lives given half a chance. Reminds of the Judge Dredd comics where sugar and coffee are class A drugs because they aren't good for you and smoking is only allowed in one building in the entire city...sounds a bit like London in 20 years :sneaky:

N.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 8:11 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10834298)

My retort was that the baby wasnt "cured" of cancer by injecting marijuana. The marijuana helped with the pain relief and as a stimulant for pain relief it is one of the best (and natural cures).

There were a couple of tests done (one by Harvard) on the effacy of using pot as a cancer cure but it only got as far as rats/mice (from memory).

Personally i would legalise pot, purely for the tax to go to the government and standardisation of the quality, rather than criminals.

Agreed. That applies to most recreational drugs I think. The individual can decide if they want to use them, and will know they are not funding crime and terrorism by doing so.

N.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 8:27 am

OK, I did, and from what you wrote and how it came across I stand by my response, however, I now get what your trying to say. ;)

I'm a bit mixed on legalisation of drugs to be honest. I agree that weed should be legal or at least decriminalised, however, I am not convinced when it comes to harder drugs such as crack and smack. You can give up weed in a heartbeat where as harder drugs take a lot more time and effort and severely change a persons personality with no added benefits. They can severely f**k you up!

mikewot Aug 4th 2013 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834305)
Agreed. That applies to most recreational drugs I think. The individual can decide if they want to use them, and will know they are not funding crime and terrorism by doing so.

Uhuh, and what about those that induce dependence and addiction. In my job we are zero tolerant to illegal drugs (and even some prescribed medicines) and there are random checks for drug taking. Long may that continue, I do not support your position.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834334)
Uhuh, and what about those that induce dependence and addiction. In my job we are zero tolerant to illegal drugs (and even some prescribed medicines) and there are random checks for drug taking. Long may that continue, I do not support your position.

OK, but I assume this is the same for say... alcohol which is legal.

I think Norms point is that just because it is legal doesn't mean that everyone will be in work stoned out of their tits, similar to where being hammered in work is generally frowned upon...... there should be some degree of self regulation.

mikewot Aug 4th 2013 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834363)
OK, but I assume this is the same for say... alcohol which is legal.

Yes of course.

I think Norms point is that just because it is legal doesn't mean that everyone will be in work stoned out of their tits, similar to where being hammered in work is generally frowned upon...... there should be some degree of self regulation.

And what about flashbacks etc? Alcohol works it's way out of your system, drugs ***** with your mind.

Theseus Aug 4th 2013 9:08 am

Legalisation and regulation of the manufacturing and supply of recreational drugs should happen.

Canabis has benefits for sufferers of certain diseases (MS for example) and needs further testing to find out what other benefits it could have. However the levels of THC in the current supply available in the UK are through the roof and I "believe" this is responsible for a number of mental health issues within young adults in the UK. Regulation of the supply could go a long way to stemming this problem.

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834176)
They listen to the music of a mixed race man with a white father who hated his white side so much he spent his career telling everyone he was black and writing songs against 'the man'?

N.

No because they smoke it :) The smoker was incidental, the action was what I wanted to show

http://i.imgur.com/LJwtrZo.jpg

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834327)
OK, I did, and from what you wrote and how it came across I stand by my response, however, I now get what your trying to say. ;)

I'm a bit mixed on legalisation of drugs to be honest. I agree that weed should be legal or at least decriminalised, however, I am not convinced when it comes to harder drugs such as crack and smack. You can give up weed in a heartbeat where as harder drugs take a lot more time and effort and severely change a persons personality with no added benefits. They can severely f**k you up!

Many studies show nicotine to be more physically addictive than heroin and cocaine. (http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/nicaddct.html) and it kills many, many more people than illegal drugs combined. Booze ruins people's lives too. Ever lived with a proper alcoholic (not the jolly functional type, I mean the type that has a complete and usually negative personality change after a few drinks).

There are medical uses for cocaine (original and best local anesthetic) and heroin (an excellent pain killer which also slows digestion) as with weed. The fact is even too much coffee can cause personality change. It comes down to people should have a choice and those who cannot control themselves will be punished. Despite their legality it appears millions take these drugs anyway and fund a lot of nasty criminal gangs who commit crimes and acts of terrorism - Not all users become homeless addicts who mug old ladies for their next fix just as millions of regular drinks are perfectly functional members of society. A lot of doctors are habitual drug users - no problem there as they can get the uncut medical stuff and proscribe their own doses safely.

N.

mikewot Aug 4th 2013 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10834393)
Legalisation and regulation of the manufacturing and supply of recreational drugs should happen. <snip>Regulation of the supply could go a long way to stemming this problem.

But it's the active ingredient that should be provided and available on prescription. Not just sold so people can go tripping and this wouldn't solve the issue of 'recreational' drugs.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834391)
Yes of course.
And what about flashbacks etc? Alcohol works it's way out of your system, drugs ***** with your mind.

I am most certainly not for legalising everything, certainly not drugs that stay in the system and affect judgement at a later date at random. Cannabis, Heroin and Cocaine don't do that so are candidates for legalisation. Acid does and so should remain banned for obvious reasons. It is beyond the control of a responsible user to cease and be sure he or she will not affect anyone.

N.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834403)
But it's the active ingredient that should be provided and available on prescription. Not just sold so people can go tripping and this wouldn't solve the issue of 'recreational' drugs.

The problem with recreational drugs is they are illegal, controlled by drug dealers who don't care if people get hooked and die, who promote an underground lifestyle, fund terrorism and crime and suck up police time and resources.

Some people like getting a buzz. Some do it with booze and fags, others want something different. If it doesn't harm others and can be controlled and taxed then there's no need to ban them.

N.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834334)

Nicotine is at least as addictive as heroin and cocaine, perhaps more so. Serves little purpose but is perfectly legal and increasingly banned in most enclosed spaces where non-smokers can be affected. I wouldn't dream of telling someone they cannot smoke in their own home or in public if it doesn't bother someone though.

Do you think I support people turning up to do their work off their head? I am very clear that anything that affects others should be punishable. I would and do support drugs tests for jobs where their effects can cause problems on the job even in responsible users. I know a lot of pilots who drink but none who go to work drunk for example. This rule can apply to any drug that affects judgement - if cannabis was legal it would be a crime to use it and drive or fly etc. Making things legal tends to reduce their use over time (drinking and smoking are decreasing in Europe) - banning them increases use and crime.

I am not for blanket bans which continue to fund terrorism and crime just because you or I would not do these drugs (for the record I have no interest in hard drugs). Sky diving is a legitimate hobby that is extremely dangerous - would you ban it? How about bungee-jumping? Cage diving? Hard drugs should be legal, taxed, controlled, hard to buy and illegal/extremely hard to market or promote.

Oh, and I am not asking for support of my position...if you don't like my opinion I am quite ok with that - we never learn anything from people we agree with :)

N.

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834403)
Not just sold so people can go tripping and this wouldn't solve the issue of 'recreational' drugs.

I am for legalising all drugs, it's the individuals choice if they use or not and they bear the consequences.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10834396)
No because they smoke it :) The smoker was incidental, the action was what I wanted to show

http://i.imgur.com/LJwtrZo.jpg

Understood.

My explanation was longer though...:rofl:

N.

mikewot Aug 4th 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834408)
I am most certainly not for legalising everything, certainly not drugs that stay in the system and affect judgement at a later date at random. Cannabis, Heroin and Cocaine don't do that.

You did look at the link I posted on the study? " 'a transitory recurrence of emotions and perceptions originally experienced while under the influence of a psychedelic drug'.1 Flashbacks are usually associated with LSD, DOM and cannabis use."

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10834422)
I am for legalising all drugs, it's the individuals choice if they use or not and they bear the consequences.

I'd stop at things that can cause flashbacks and don't leave the system...then again I suppose a test can be devised to stop people who have that in their system from every working in any kind of critical profession or operating machinery.

N.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 4th 2013 9:33 am

there should be some degree of self regulation.

self regulation comes with age mate, and even then to some it never comes :)
the newly 'of-age' with any form of paying job tend to go nuts when they are allowed to pub it and some of them end up either jobless, or in accidents etc

if you legalize pot, your throwing another variable in there

I say legalize the drug (only pot, nothing heavier) only AFTER you hit 38 and can show a good credit and job history along with a nice bank statement.
Sort of like applying for a visa, walk in to a government controlled / regulated office with your papers and say 'Hello, I would like to buy some pot please'
Go through the membership process and get a valid Membership card which can be used to buy from local pot-shops
We might be on to something here! :amen:

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834430)
I'd stop at things that can cause flashbacks and don't leave the system...then again I suppose a test can be devised to stop people who have that in their system from every working in any kind of critical profession or operating machinery.

N.

Flashbacks are a myth for the typical user, unless you a Timothy Leary type. I must have piled through a ton of acid and mushrooms in college (along with others in my class) and none of us have ever suffered this.

Anecdotal evidence is the best :D

mikewot Aug 4th 2013 9:45 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10834439)
Flashbacks are a myth for the typical user, unless you a Timothy Leary type.

"Studies generally show that roughly a quarter of LSD and cannabis users experience some kind of flashback."

mikewot Aug 4th 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10834422)

Ah yes because society doesn't have to bear any consequences for heroin addicts who commit crimes to feed their habit.

shiva Aug 4th 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834454)
cannabis users experience some kind of flashback."

Balderdash

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834463)
Ah yes because society doesn't have to bear any consequences for heroin addicts who commit crimes to feed their habit.

Society (and the individual) bears the consequences in general for all actions be they illegal or legal.
The point is that the effect or outcomes are the same regardless of the legality.

Addict steals due to his addiction is it any worse if he is addicted to legal alcohol or illegal heroin? Making it illegal has not solved this problem.

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834454)
"Studies generally show that roughly a quarter of LSD and cannabis users experience some kind of flashback."

Flashback seems ill defined here.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834391)
Yes of course.

Some do, some don't.

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10834393)
Legalisation and regulation of the manufacturing and supply of recreational drugs should happen.

Canabis has benefits for sufferers of certain diseases (MS for example) and needs further testing to find out what other benefits it could have. However the levels of THC in the current supply available in the UK are through the roof and I "believe" this is responsible for a number of mental health issues within young adults in the UK. Regulation of the supply could go a long way to stemming this problem.

Yes and no. I do agree that very potent types of weed can have a negative effect but this generally tends to be only in the case of people who are prone to mental illness. Weed doesn't cause it but it sure as hell adds to the problem.

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834397)
Many studies show nicotine to be more physically addictive than heroin and cocaine. (http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/nicaddct.html) and it kills many, many more people than illegal drugs combined. Booze ruins people's lives too. Ever lived with a proper alcoholic (not the jolly functional type, I mean the type that has a complete and usually negative personality change after a few drinks).

I'm not convinced on that to be honest. I know plenty of folk who have either had a cigarette and never touched on again or folk who are weekend smokers. Where as I have also seen people go down the smack route and it very quicky take hold of them and decimate their life.

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834429)
You did look at the link I posted on the study? " 'a transitory recurrence of emotions and perceptions originally experienced while under the influence of a psychedelic drug'.1 Flashbacks are usually associated with LSD, DOM and cannabis use."

Not convinced about flash backs and cannabis use. After years of heavy use in the UK during Uni and knowing a lot (as in most folk I knew) who regularly smoked it I only ever encountered one person who had an adverse reaction to weed and he used to smoke heavy skunk day in, day out by the bucket load.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10834433)
self regulation comes with age mate, and even then to some it never comes :)
the newly 'of-age' with any form of paying job tend to go nuts when they are allowed to pub it and some of them end up either jobless, or in accidents etc

if you legalize pot, your throwing another variable in there

I say legalize the drug (only pot, nothing heavier) only AFTER you hit 38 and can show a good credit and job history along with a nice bank statement.
Sort of like applying for a visa, walk in to a government controlled / regulated office with your papers and say 'Hello, I would like to buy some pot please'
Go through the membership process and get a valid Membership card which can be used to buy from local pot-shops
We might be on to something here! :amen:

So that would mean that I would be ineligible for another 4 years..... really... that's a crazy idea. :thumbdown:

How can you say that someone like me who is well qualified, in a good job, very very well traveled and has lived in 6 different countries on three continents cannot be trusted to make up my own mind when it comes to having a joint or two. Lunacy! :eek:

21 maybe. ;)

Tockalosh Aug 4th 2013 3:53 pm

I am vehemently anti drugs, well except my 40 a day Marlboro habit and my love of all alcohol except Port and desert wine

I do love the way people rattle on about legalizing it and then the government can get the taxes and spend it on old peoples homes and schools for the handicapped

If they ever did go down this route and I doubt Middle England would ever it permit it, then they would tax the shit out of it. You would only be able to get some low tar equivalent so what would happen is exactly the same as happens now with fags and booze. You buy a couple of cartons or bottles from the bloke in the pub car park who has just come back from Poland.

You could down the ozzie route and let people grow the stuff in their back yards without hindrance as long as they don't flog it on. Happy days. But look at the rates of mental illness in Oz.

I'll stick with my Marlboro and Matusalem platino.

I remember chatting with a bloke in Oz who was quite open about the fact that for 2 years he was a full time cultivator with all the lights and water systems in his house etc. Was reaping crop after crop but after he had paid for his sons uni abroad he put another couple of crops through to buy his caravan and make like the grey nomad for a few years. He did say that he had to rip the inside of the house when he had finished as the smell kept coming through no matter how many times they painted it.
That shit cant be good for you

scot47 Aug 4th 2013 6:13 pm

The weedoholics will now use this dubious story to persuade us all that it should be legal.

weasel decentral Aug 5th 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10835000)
The weedoholics will now use this dubious story to persuade us all that it should be legal.

I doubt even the most optimistic pothead would be using a spurious story like this to push for legalisation.

But you should try and overcome your teaching background a little and have an open mind on some things. Hard to do I understand when you are used to learning by rote, 20 years in the desert teaching Saudis how to:
  1. The letters of the English alphabet (intermediate class)
  2. Put them in the right order (advanced class)
That's going to affect any sort of innovative mind you may have had before:blink:

Irishbeekeeper Aug 5th 2013 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834535)
So that would mean that I would be ineligible for another 4 years..... really... that's a crazy idea. :thumbdown:

How can you say that someone like me who is well qualified, in a good job, very very well traveled and has lived in 6 different countries on three continents cannot be trusted to make up my own mind when it comes to having a joint or two. Lunacy! :eek:

21 maybe. ;)

:rofl:
well I just threw that number out there since I am now 38 and feel that am in a good position for self regulation, thats all
but for serious debate purposes, 21? no way, that is way way too early mate
maybe 30
or maybe an individual interview system and the end result should be based on their answers and not on their age

the point made a while ago that why let the underworld / terrorists be the only one benefiting from the crazy profit margins of the drug trade, I totally agree with :thumbup:

UKCityGent Aug 5th 2013 9:16 am

So im still confused with the original point:

Did marijuana "cure" the kid or is it poppycock ?

mikewot Aug 5th 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10835732)
Did marijuana "cure" the kid or is it poppycock ?

As 'Cashy' died on 14th Nov 2012 there was obviously no cure.