Assisted Suicide

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Question Assisted Suicide

What are your thoughts on this? should it be legal in the UK ?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assisted Suicide

Yes- absolutely
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Why should we have to dispose of all of those old people coming from abroad to die? It's bad enough having to process the nuclear waste - think of all those false teeth in landfill.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:44 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Yes- absolutely
could you do it ?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Millhouse
In all seriousness - it kind of happens anyway. My nan died from a massive morphine dose not long after we requested that she was made more comfortable.

We all knew what was happening.
I am not talking about elderly old folk passing on sooner than they should due to natural causes etc, but young people who have been severely disabled due to accidents and want to die (Emmerdale story line).
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
could you do it ?
I could, but only once.
Concierge

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I could, but only once.
to someone else!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:48 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

could you do it ?
That's a difficult one. I think I'd be willing to do it to myself when the balance tips, and I think I'd be able to do it to a loved one if s/he had no or very little mental faculties left, but I'm not sure I could do it if s/he was still compos mentis...
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's a difficult one. I think I'd be willing to do it to myself when the balance tips, and I think I'd be able to do it to a loved one if s/he had no or very little mental faculties left, but I'm not sure I could do it if s/he was still compos mentis...
it is very much down to the situation at the time, but if someone wanted to end their life and needed your assistance ....
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

there was a really interesting programme on last week with terry pratchett looking at this very question, as he has alzheimers...it followed two men going to the clinic in switzerland in order to die (one was in his late 70s i think and had parkinsons, the other only early 40s with motorneuron disease)...

it was done with great dignity, and both men seemed to be fully at peace...the really sad thing was that both were dying before they wanted to/needed to...the issue is that anyone doing it has to be of sound mind and be able to administer the poison themselves, and both wanted to die whilst they could still do this, and before it was too late...

not sure i'd be strong enough to let/give my blessing to a loved one to do it, but i do think people should have the choice when their quality of life has become untenable due to illness etc...

MM, xx
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

it is very much down to the situation at the time, but if someone wanted to end their life and needed your assistance ....
What, other than a couple of current bored members?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bluecat-

Ok I appear to opening up to the world today, my mum is terminally ill - a slow progressive illness and we have had this converstaion and it is a converstaion I wish noone else to have to have and until you are in the situation it is impossible to decide what you would do.

So, Yes, If I had to I would do it, as much as it would break my heart. My brother feels differently to me but at the end of the day my mum knows her limits. She was diagnosed the year I was born so has had a lifetimes worth of struggling so when she feels she has had enough I think you have to respect that no matter how hard it is for those left behind. Her mental state is kosher and will remain so as much as anyone elses.

Every case is individual and should be treated as so.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Bluecat-

Ok I appear to opening up to the world today, my mum is terminally ill - a slow progressive illness and we have had this converstaion and it is a converstaion I wish noone else to have to have and until you are in the situation it is impossible to decide what you would do.

So, Yes, If I had to I would do it, as much as it would break my heart. My brother feels differently to me but at the end of the day my mum knows her limits. She was diagnosed the year I was born so has had a lifetimes worth of struggling so when she feels she has had enough I think you have to respect that no matter how hard it is for those left behind. Her mental state is kosher and will remain so as much as anyone elses.

Every case is individual and should be treated as so.
I won't comment on your situation because I can't and couldn't comprehend how hard that must be.

My question is for the last bit, who should make the decisions? Court of Law? In slow progressive illnesses someone can make the decision early, but in an accident where 'quality' of life is lost and the person is deemed unable to make their own decision, then who should get to?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
there was a really interesting programme on last week with terry pratchett looking at this very question, as he has alzheimers...it followed two men going to the clinic in switzerland in order to die (one was in his late 70s i think and had parkinsons, the other only early 40s with motorneuron disease)...

it was done with great dignity, and both men seemed to be fully at peace...the really sad thing was that both were dying before they wanted to/needed to...the issue is that anyone doing it has to be of sound mind and be able to administer the poison themselves, and both wanted to die whilst they could still do this, and before it was too late...

not sure i'd be strong enough to let/give my blessing to a loved one to do it, but i do think people should have the choice when their quality of life has become untenable due to illness etc...

MM, xx
can you remember the name of the programme? will download it

edited, found it, downloading it now

Last edited by Blue Cat; Jun 22nd 2011 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

can you remember the name of the programme? will download it
It was Panorama on BBC1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.