Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Arab study claims that the average Arab read only a quarter page a year.

Arab study claims that the average Arab read only a quarter page a year.

Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab study claims that the average Arab read only a quarter page a year.

Reading is just one part of it - there are still plenty of people (particularly in Saudi) who don't even recognise the concept of time. Huge numbers there wouldn't even begin to understand what a clock face is telling them.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab study claims that the average Arab read only a quarter page a year.

Originally Posted by seven seas
Just one of the reasons why it's a civilization in trouble. A lot of effort is being made to get them reading. I hope it's not too late.
I just find it very hard to believe the study's claimss .Surely they read more than a quater page a year; who is buying all the Khaleeji Arabic language newspapers then?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:08 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Norm - What was that hotel called in Abu Dhabi that a few of us met in for a soiree once?

The bar was on the top floor (Not 49ER'S) was it The Onyx?
Oryx Hotel...that's going about about four years methinks.

N.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I just find it very hard to believe the study's claimss .Surely they read more than a quater page a year; who is buying all the Khaleeji Arabic language newspapers then?
While the studies claims can be disputed it is a fact that the Arab world has low literacy rates and poor rates at which books are translated into Arabic from other languages.

Last time I was in Beijing I went to three different book stores (which were all busy) before finding one that had English books, and then it was a small section. When I asked I was told you can buy most foreign books in Chinese so no need to sell the English versions.

Go to a book store in the UAE and the Arabic section is usually a small island in a sea of English books, and the majority are religious and praise the leaders type of books.

That's a telling sign when book shops in your own country stock more foreign language books than your own language.

N.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Oryx Hotel...that's going about about four years methinks.

N.
It was Norm, the first time I came over here!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
While the studies claims can be disputed it is a fact that the Arab world has low literacy rates and poor rates at which books are translated into Arabic from other languages.

Last time I was in Beijing I went to three different book stores (which were all busy) before finding one that had English books, and then it was a small section. When I asked I was told you can buy most foreign books in Chinese so no need to sell the English versions.

Go to a book store in the UAE and the Arabic section is usually a small island in a sea of English books, and the majority are religious and praise the leaders type of books.

That's a telling sign when book shops in your own country stock more foreign language books than your own language.

N.
There is a big one on Wangfunjin St(Sp?) in Central Beijing selling English books including most of the "classics"
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
There is a big one on Wangfunjin St(Sp?) in Central Beijing selling English books including most of the "classics"
There are places to buy English books but my point was the Chinese don't even need to learn English in order to read foreign books because so much is translated into Chinese, just as we can read up on Lao Tze, Confucious, Mao, Deng, or whatever we like without learning a word of Mandarin. And our bookshops are not 80% foreign language like they are here.

Next time I'm in Beijing I'll be too busy stuffing my face and getting plastered to read anything civillised...

N.