Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of any jobs going?

Anyone know of any jobs going?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:16 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone know of any jobs going?

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
have been given a months notice. they said its up to me when I leave as I'm owed 3 weeks holiday. initially said i would work until end of week but will tell them that I will work until end of notice period as that 3 weeks holiday pay will cover the rent for 2 months.

f#uck knows what we are going to do. can't even just shift back to UK as the mrs needs a settlement visa for that and that takes up to 3 months to come through.
inse, with the settlement visa, which embassy and where are you doing it through? UK high comm in oz did it in a week for a mate of mine, so don't always think it will take 3x months. have a chat with them and explain the situation and see what they can work out.

haz saeed
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
inse, with the settlement visa, which embassy and where are you doing it through? UK high comm in oz did it in a week for a mate of mine, so don't always think it will take 3x months. have a chat with them and explain the situation and see what they can work out.

haz saeed
I agree, be pushy Ins, don't take no for answer, the rules are changing
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
After the announcement, go back to your desk, log out of the computer, preferably with someone you trust watching. Clean out your desk. Take only what belongs to you. Leave stationery, pens, paper clips, and so on as they are. Say your goodbyes and leave quietly. As for turning over unfinished business to a trusted colleague, let them figure that out for themselves. Redundancy means 'we do not require your services any more'. Take that literally.

If somebody asks you to stay and you'd prefer sooner rather than later, point out that if you are redundant, then by definition your presence is not required. If it is required, you're not redundant. Point out also that since you are no longer required to be loyal to the company, you do not feel it ethical to come onto the premises. Hint at possible dark deeds. Make them pay you to stay away.

Make the person who has made you redundant feel uncomfortable: go up to them and shake their hand. Tell them its been a pleasure working for them and wish them, and the department well.

Request an exit interview and take the opportunity to say all the things you've always wanted to about rubbish managers, or really compliment those of your colleagues that remain; they'll need friends on the inside

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A956315
Letter of the law and what you actually do, depends upon the individual situation.
as Bangle says, if the company is being generous over and above the provision of the law, then you adhering to the letter of the law could quite easily make the company do likewise.

Acting in an unprofessional manner merely placates your employers decision, particularly if they are genuinely trying to cushion the blow.

If your being shafted, then its a different deal, depending on your country of employment..
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

if you work your months notice, then have two months left of rent it's possible she'd get the settlement visa by then. You may even get something else before then but its worth putting in for it straight away.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:22 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

As of today I am the latest casualty of the recession!
life really does f#cking suck big time!!!
That's shit news, man. Hope you find something real quick. What line of business you in?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read this Inse.

Good luck with getting matters sorted. x

-
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
That's shit news, man. Hope you find something real quick. What line of business you in?
I'm a Shipbroker but If we go back to the UK I could possibly also find something as a Legal Exec/Legal assistant as I have my full legal quals too.

and thanks for those who advised on Settlement Visas. Its good to know.
we will have to do it here in Singapore. if we get there without expending too much here we have savings enough to last up to a year if we live a frugal life.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:39 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

damn...that completely sucks
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:43 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Shipbroker but If we go back to the UK I could possibly also find something as a Legal Exec/Legal assistant as I have my full legal quals too.

and thanks for those who advised on Settlement Visas. Its good to know.
we will have to do it here in Singapore. if we get there without expending too much here we have savings enough to last up to a year if we live a frugal life.
take it shipping is on a massive downturn even in singapore? i thought that of all places would be ok.

Any other companies in Sing that you could go work for?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
take it shipping is on a massive downturn even in singapore? i thought that of all places would be ok.

mcdonalds...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:54 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
mcdonalds...
actually they are a pretty good company to work for.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:57 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

actually they are a pretty good company to work for.
I couldnt work with a company with the letters 'Mc' in front of them......sounds too Scottish to me
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

there are rumours of some companies who may be employing so will be contacting them.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

there are rumours of some companies who may be employing so will be contacting them.
Good luck inse hope something comes along for youxxxxx
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:08 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

in person Ins, with a CV in hand and a smile on your face

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.