Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

another rental increase- rant

another rental increase- rant

Old May 21st 2013, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another rental increase- rant

Responding to you now.
Old May 21st 2013, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

ta Mike!
Old May 21st 2013, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

As a landlord I am sure you are aware of the Laws of Dubai regarding renting property. First set up with LAW NO. 26 Of 2007 Regulating Relationship Between Landlords and Tenants In The Emirate of Dubai. This was later amended by law number 33 of 2008.
The law is very clear on rental prices and I quote the relevant law to you:
Article (9
1. Landlord and tenant must specify rent value in the tenancy contract. If both parties have not specified the same or if it becomes impossible to prove their agreement then rent shall be as per the similar rent.
2. The Committee shall specify the similar rent in accordance with the standards of specifying the rent increase percentage applied by the Agency and in accordance with the general economic circumstances in the Emirate and pursuant to the property status the similar market rent in the same area and in accordance with any valid legislation in the Emirate regarding properties rent and any other factors the Committee may decide.

Article (13
For the purpose of renewing tenancy contract, landlord and tenant upon expiry of the tenancy contract may amend any of the contracts terms or review the rent whether by increase or decrease. If the parties do not reach an agreement regarding this, the Committee may decide fair rent considering the standards referred to in Article No. (9) of this Law.

I do not agree to your rent increase demand and I have consulted the RERA Rental Increase Calculator http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/english/...alculator.aspx

The calculator gives the answer that “The rent for a One bedroom apartment in Tecom is in the range 60000 to 70000 AED per year. Your rent is less than or equal to 25% of the average similar rent in the area. So you are not entitled to any increase of rent.”
Since I am already paying at the top of the range I will not pay more. We shall continue the rental agreement exactly the same as before. If you wish to enter into a dispute then you will know how to raise a case with the Rental Committee (for a fee of 5% of the rent) and then you can explain to them why you feel you are entitled to a rent rise higher than RERA state you’re entitled to.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:04 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Kittycat1 - the others posters are right. Your LL is trying it on and is in the wrong. I only wrote about this law yesterday for my next column.
Old May 21st 2013, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Kittycat1 - the others posters are right. Your LL is trying it on and is in the wrong. I only wrote about this law yesterday for my next column.
Did you have to write this from scratch or have you got to utopia of rehashing old articles while collecting the original fee?
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Did you have to write this from scratch or have you got to utopia of rehashing old articles while collecting the original fee?
It's different every time as I respond to readers' questions.
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Try looking around. You can probably get a nice 2-bedder for 70K somewhere.
We pay 85K for a 3-bed villa with detached maids quarters.
Mind telling me where you got a deal like that?

I'm in the process of finding a 3br place as we've got a new landlord who is wanting to move in, and also a new baby in the family.

Finding most places have jumped 20-30% in last 12 months for exactly the same place.
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:51 am
Just Joined

magmaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have gone through the rent committee and won the case without Ejari. From my experience, as of now, Ejari is only really important to apply for or renewal of the residence visa.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You may find this of interest, but very annoying too.
http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...ents-1.1187296
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
You may find this of interest, but very annoying too.
http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...ents-1.1187296
This is what I am finding. Rera is only useful for existing contracts (obviously) vacant premises are the target of agents now, prices are getting crazy.

I called an agent the other day about a property he had listed on Dubizzle that day for 130k 3br, and he laughed and said, "you wont find that anymore, all 170k" . Dirty feckers posting linkbait on Dubizzle and don't even hide their contempt.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Help! We have just received Notic to Quit from Dubai Court as our new LL wants to move in with his family.

Can he do this? Doesn't he have to give us 12 months' notice?
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Help! We have just received Notic to Quit from Dubai Court as our new LL wants to move in with his family.

Where did I read recently that this is a common excuse to get you out? When you're out they suddenly say they'be changed their mind about moving in, then rent out again at a rental value they pluck from thin air.
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

yup 12 months notice required. And he must occupy the place himself or else you claim expenses if he were to change his mind and say rent it out again to someone else
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

it's ok - someone will come to save you ...
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:23 am
Just Joined

magmaggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Was you contract non-renewable? I think that is the only exception, but not sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.