Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

another rental increase- rant

another rental increase- rant

Old May 21st 2013, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default another rental increase- rant

Honestly my landlord is an utter bastard- every year my rent has been put up, I just called to see what it will be for the next year and it has gone up again to 75 k a year on 4 cheques. When I said I was going to check with RERA he turned round and said if you don't like it you can move out as the building is popular so they can charge what they want. Such a rude little shit as well, honestly since when do people have to be so agressive- utter cnut grrr!
Old May 21st 2013, 12:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another rental increase- rant

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Honestly my landlord is an utter bastard- every year my rent has been put up, I just called to see what it will be for the next year and it has gone up again to 75 k a year on 4 cheques. When I said I was going to check with RERA he turned round and said if you don't like it you can move out as the building is popular so they can charge what they want. Such a rude little shit as well, honestly since when do people have to be so agressive- utter cnut grrr!
Welcome back to Dubs KC...
Old May 21st 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

It might help us to empathise with your predicament if you told us what it went up from! Most of us are not clairvoyants, sweetie.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Your LL is wrong. He cannot evict you and he can only raise the rent by the amount which it states in the RERA Rental Calculator. If you need more info or extracts from the relevant laws, thanks to other members of this site, I have them all at my fingertips.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Your LL is wrong. He cannot evict you and he can only raise the rent by the amount which it states in the RERA Rental Calculator. If you need more info or extracts from the relevant laws, thanks to other members of this site, I have them all at my fingertips.
That might make a handy wiki too...don't know what there is on this subject in there but it seems to come up a fair bit.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That might make a handy wiki too...don't know what there is on this subject in there but it seems to come up a fair bit.
Bob I'm with you, I've been intending to make my lazy arse do an FAQ on the subject because it comes up time after time in the FB pages where I live. One day I'll do it. Inshallah.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

All the laws on renting and housing: http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/...gulations.aspx

The first law on renting, number 26 of 2007: http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/english/...s/Law%2026.pdf

The amendment to the first law, number 33 of 2008:
http://www.dubailand.gov.ae/english/...s/Law%2033.pdf
Old May 21st 2013, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Britexpat landed this morning so feelinga bit zombiefied today.

Mentalist- guess what I'm thinking...

when I moved in I paid 60, then 62, then 65, then 70- this will be my 5th year in the same building and has gone up to 75.

Mikewot it currently isnt working so I have emailed them although the stubborn arse I spoke with seems to think it's not a problem, honestkly if we were in the uk I'd send someone round to pay him a visit. arseholes!
Old May 21st 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking around. You can probably get a nice 2-bedder for 70K somewhere.
We pay 85K for a 3-bed villa with detached maids quarters.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Mikewot it currently isnt working so I have emailed them
It won't work if you put in a date more than 3 months hence.

He cannot evict you.

Article (9
1. Landlord and tenant must specify rent value in the tenancy contract. If both parties have not specified the same or if it becomes impossible to prove their agreement then rent shall be as per the similar rent.
2. The Committee shall specify the similar rent in accordance with the standards of specifying the rent increase percentage applied by the Agency and in accordance with the general economic circumstances in the Emirate and pursuant to the property status the similar market rent in the same area and in accordance with any valid legislation in the Emirate regarding properties rent and any other factors the Committee may decide.
Article (13
For the purpose of renewing tenancy contract, landlord and tenant upon expiry of the tenancy contract may amend any of the contracts terms or review the rent whether by increase or decrease. If the parties do not reach an agreement regarding this, the Committee may decide fair rent considering the standards referred to in Article No. (9) of this Law.
Article (14
If either party of tenancy contract wishes to amend any of its conditions pursuant to Article 13) of this Law, then he must notify the same to the other party not less than 90 days prior to expiry date, unless both parties agreed otherwise.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just reading through previous posts before I spit my dummy out at my **** of a landlord. Couple of points that I may need to consider.

He is givingme more than 90 days notice.
I may not have registered my wotsit with RERA.

According to the claculator if I change the date to be within 3 months it says;

• The rent for a One bedroom apartment in Tecom is in the range 60000 to 70000 AED per year.
• Your rent is less than or equal to 25% of the average similar rent in the area.
• So you are not entitled to any increase of rent.

Does this make a difference to my rights? Have I shafted myself by not registering?
Old May 21st 2013, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

You only need to worry about being registered with Ejari if you're going to go to the rental committee (RERA give advice, Rental Committee are the legal part) as they're unwilling to help if you've not registered. But it's not too late to register, you need:
a) Copy of the title deed
b) Copy of the tenancy contract
c) Copy of the landlord’s passport
d) Copy of the tenant’s passport and visa page
e) DEWA number of the property
195 Dhm for the typing centre to do it for you.

I suggest you quote the law at your LL, quote what the RERA Rental Calculator says, tell him thats all your paying and if he doesn't like it then he needs to open a case with the Rental Committee and explain to them why he believes he's entitled to more rent than RERA say his is entitled to under the LAW of Dubai. It'll cost him 5% of the rent to open a case and he will lose because the law is very clear.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your landlord wants to evict you he has to give you 12 full months' notice from the END OF YOUR CONTRACT, not the three months before the end of contract. As it is, you have every right to stay in your flat for the next 3 months plus one full year. Makes sense?

Why do I know this? Another friend went through something similar with a POS landlord. Quoted RERA, emailed a copy of the laws to the landlord, and the LL backed down.

Kitty, I believe you agreed to rental increases in the past when the landlord wasn't legally entitled to any. Don't be a muppet again. He thinks you're a pushover.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ethos83
If your landlord wants to evict you he has to give you 12 full months' notice from the END OF YOUR CONTRACT, not the three months before the end of contract.
Correct and there are only 4 legal reasons he can get you out.
In Dubai the tenant is very well protected, if only everyone knew, and used, the law.
Old May 21st 2013, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you Ethos, Yes I am a muppet- I am utterly shit at this sort of stuff.

Mike- I've PMed you

I must admit I'm reading the linkybits that Mikewot posted earlier and really does read like jibber to me- not sure which bits I should be quoting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.