Another Cyclist Killed

Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Cyclist Killed

My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:31 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

The good ones go early!
Rest in peace Roy!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 6:24 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Local?

I very bad taste that Emirates 24/7 has a pic of the crash site and the bike.
Nepalese according to the National.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Nepalese according to the National.
Driver was Emirati. Victim was Lebanese.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:42 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
Commander, my heart goes out to you and the rest of the cycling community.

I used to work with a girl who was at the top of the sport in Dubai and once had the honour of going to NAS and Academic city to photograph them on a Friday morning in all of their glory. These guys are truly atheletes in the greatest sense of the word.

When I saw them riding they had support vehicles and I felt that they were taking as many precautions as possible so how someone managed to interfere and murder on of them (in my mind drunk driving is tantamount to planning to murder) is beyond me.

May god look after him and and his family. Dubai sinks to another low :-(
Thanks, I was probably out on the same ride. I used to go with the Roadsters most weeks, but since the cycle path is on my doorstep at Al Qudra, I do all my training there.

You are correct, the groups here are very well organized and have numerous safety vehicles. These vehicles don't just sit in behind the groups they also drive ahead at slip roads and warn vehicles coming onto the road that there are cyclists coming. It works very well and even though this is a tragedy, they majority of drivers are extremely courteous and enjoy seeing a group of Athletes out on the roads.

To be honest, I was given more abuse in a week back in Scotland riding with my mate than I have ever had here in years.

As most cyclists know, Dubai is NOT a dangerous place to cycle compared to pretty much anywhere else...

Saying that, I did see a guy a few months back on a pretty top end road bike, cycling on SZR near interchange 5 without any helmet. What an absolute idiot. That is the absolute exception not the rule.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Driver was Emirati. Victim was Lebanese.
National newspaper says driver was Nepalese and taken into custody.
Surely they couldn't print an untruth.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:38 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
National newspaper says driver was Nepalese and taken into custody.
Surely they couldn't print an untruth.
GN said he was "Asian" in the headline, and Emirati in the text.

I'm thinking the latter.

Anyways, nationality isn't really an issue, the fact that a pissed up driver killed someone and injured others is.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Utterly tragic. Condolences to his family, friends and training pals.

I had no idea that some of the routes have safety cars, I'm sure 99.9% of the time they are effective in letting drivers know what's going on and keeping the cyclists as safe as possible. Unfortunately they can't do much about ****tard pissed drivers and I agree that it's tantamount to murder.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:19 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends has only just come out of hospital (here in Oman) having had his legs, pelvis, and spine put back together. Stupid driver in 4WD Porsche pulled out of a side road straight into him (going along main road), over him, and then drove off. Never caught.
My friend was not going fast as he was just returning from some errands along a 500m stretch of road whilst his car was in for a service. Literally you could see his house and the supermarket in a straight line from each other.
In Europe I loved cycling, even though i had a tendency to break collar bones and arms from mountain biking a bit too agressively. I don't cycle here, at all. Even with all safety precautions there are too many careless arrogant tw*ts around - and yes that includes all you who drink and drive whatever your nationality.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:38 am
banned

Originally Posted by Kix
GN said he was "Asian" in the headline, and Emirati in the text.

I'm thinking the latter.

Anyways, nationality isn't really an issue, the fact that a pissed up driver killed someone and injured others is.
Okay, I may be wrong, I have got this from third hand information (friends) so if I am factually incorrect about the nationality (not that it matters I guess) I wholeheartedly apologise.

Wherever the arsehole is from, I hope he rots in jail.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:40 am
banned

Originally Posted by Scamp
Utterly tragic. Condolences to his family, friends and training pals.

I had no idea that some of the routes have safety cars, I'm sure 99.9% of the time they are effective in letting drivers know what's going on and keeping the cyclists as safe as possible. Unfortunately they can't do much about ****tard pissed drivers and I agree that it's tantamount to murder.
exactly. yea, pretty much all the rides have safety cars.

Every year, we ride (about 5 of us) from Dxb to RAK along the 611 and then some back roads. We always have a vehicle sitting in behind us. It doesn't make you bulletproof though, but offers some protection from a truck driver falling asleep or a speeding/texting idiot.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:48 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Every year, we ride (about 5 of us) from Dxb to RAK along the 611 and then some back roads. We always have a vehicle sitting in behind us. It doesn't make you bulletproof though, but offers some protection from a truck driver falling asleep or a speeding/texting idiot.
Is it really worth it?

I'm with Original here, I don't think it is.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I do not want to belittle the tragedy of the story - it is a mess.

But... you ride on the 611? with or without a support car that's stupid in my opinion. You wouldn't take your bikes on a motorway in the UK (in fact it is illegal) Why on Earth would you do it here?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:56 am
banned

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I do not want to belittle the tragedy of the story - it is a mess.

But... you ride on the 611? with or without a support car that's stupid in my opinion. You wouldn't take your bikes on a motorway in the UK (in fact it is illegal) Why on Earth would you do it here?
because at 5am there isn't a car in sight on a Friday morning. We have support and its safe, notwithstanding some act like last week. Here there are massively wide roads and huge hard shoulders that they just don't have in the UK. I would wager that you are safer cycling on the 611 than cycling down Al Wasl Road.

You can call it stupid, that is your opinion. I risk assess everything I do in my work and life. Cycling and triathlon is a huge part of what/who I am. I wont stop. I the outcome of my risk assessment was negative, I wouldn't do it.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:58 am
banned

Originally Posted by Kix
Is it really worth it?

I'm with Original here, I don't think it is.
drinking and smoking too much will likely kill you. Is it really worth it?

As I stated above. its a huge part of my life and who we are. I'm not going to stop cycling because one day a pissed driver may smash into me. he could also smash into me whilst I walk down the road on the pavement. Yet, you wont stop walking in public.

I recognize the risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.