Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Alcohol License Question; can an employer do this?!

Alcohol License Question; can an employer do this?!

Old Jul 12th 2015, 2:11 pm
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alcohol License Question; can an employer do this?!

hi guys,

I have a friend who has a problem getting an Alcohol License , he thought tht it would be just a routine thing but he was surprised that it requires an NOC from his employer, so he told his employer and the employer said "NO" because he :"cannot condone this behavior! Ffs !

I told my friend that he cannot get the Liquor License unless his employer approves and gives him a letter but the employer rejected that categorically

What to do in that situation?
Old Jul 12th 2015, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

phoenix2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alcohol License Question; can an employer do this?!

When I lived in Oman I never got a license. I was lucky enough to have friends who had a license and 10% of their monthly salary meant a lot of booze! They would buy for me when I asked. Could your friend not do something similar? Are you in a position to help? Doesn't seem worth the aggro with his employer. I'm sure more experienced expats will be along to advise accordingly.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 2:45 pm
"The Seeker"

He does not know many expats over here , and I doubt that he will impose on others like that , its just eye brow raising that he got that reply !
Me too to be honest!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 4:27 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

We were able to write our own NOC but it still had to be translated into Arabic before we could submit the application to the ROP. We had to visit NINE translation offices before we found one who was willing/prepared to do the translation for us. Sorry for your friend but I'm afraid that's just how it goes. If your friend's employer believes that drinking alcohol is haram he is within his rights to refuse to issue an NOC.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 4:37 pm
"The Seeker"

Originally Posted by hnd
We were able to write our own NOC but it still had to be translated into Arabic before we could submit the application to the ROP. We had to visit NINE translation offices before we found one who was willing/prepared to do the translation for us. Sorry for your friend but I'm afraid that's just how it goes. If your friend's employer believes that drinking alcohol is haram he is within his rights to refuse to issue an NOC.
Nine ! Lol WTF !
Ummm..... Can I inbox you about something? I just wanna get it through you if u don't mind .

That while thing aint right! Why the employee has to suffer ?!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

just go to barracuda!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
just go to barracuda!
Crossing the border back to Oman might be a wee bit tricky....
Old Jul 21st 2015, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Crossing the border back to Oman might be a wee bit tricky....
good point! hadn't noticed he lived in Oman
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:05 am
"The Seeker"

For the life of me , I can never understand how a sponsor can do this and I never heard of such a thing , in most companies they offer you to have a license .

I know , I know , cultural differences and all but this is nonsensical to me .
There are bars all around Muscat that sell all types of alcohol but they are crazily expensive plus , you'll have the ROP monitoring who gets out and drives his car back home .

I appreciate your replies to this topic , still waiting for out-of -the- box ideas

Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:07 am
"The Seeker"

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
What a bummer. In Abu Dhabi you only need a salary certificate from your employer so they don't even need to know what it's for. All scanned and uploaded online and you choose which booze shop to collect the license from. Brilliant idea - even though I have never been asked for it when buying in the capital.
that is brilliant indeed , I wish things were as easy here in Oman ....