Alcohol during ramadam

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol during ramadam

Originally Posted by housewife
well, yes I could go to my room but then I first have to get dressed and go al the way to my place and then back again.
So I just don't fancy that.

Where did I say that I struggle because of no booze?
I do not struggle at all.
That is not the point.
I have here drinks if I want but I won't take it.
I prefer to be in a bar, have a chat and a drink and meet new people.
And I won't meet them in my room!

Comprènde?
Gosh - how rough!

This is the Middle East - just get a grip and deal with it without whinging. You aren't suffering and observing a few rules is no hardship. Surely, by this point in your life, you realise that you cannot have everything you want and the rules won't change for you?

The rest of us just get with things. In fact many of us work for a living, rather then lying by a pool all day.

-
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:47 am
W10

Where did I say that I struggle because of no booze?
It was this bit I think

Wright, let's go back to the alcohol topic.
How do you people survive during Ramadan.
Just went to the restaurant here in the hotel.
Was there at 06.30 pm but had to wait for half an hour before they start serving alcohol.

Last edited by W10; Sep 3rd 2008 at 8:49 am.

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

housewife is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
it must be such a hard life being you. I mean there are guys in my place who are spending 12 hours a day (even now) lifting big heavy cables around oil rigs for 400USD a month.

Ill pass on to them that you are sooo traumatised by the fact that its affecting your swimmimg and shopping routine...

get a grip

comprende?
Well aa, I am not traumatised, so don't worry about me.
It is irrelevant to bring up the guys in your place and there work/life.
They are used to the heat,but feel free to tell them about me if you feel like.
Tell them then also that they are lucky that they work here and not in S.E. Asia, there they earn less then half what they earn here.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them then also that they are lucky that they work here and not in S.E. Asia, there they earn less then half what they earn here.
Are you for real?

It's those sort of comments that give expats a bad name. Sensitive and considerate soul aren't you?

-
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Alcohol during ramadam

Originally Posted by Meow
It's those sort of comments that give expats a bad name. Sensitive and considerate soul aren't you?
I was thinking just the same thing as her TBH (though I'd have been more subtle about the way I said it) .

Seriously they chose to go and work, it's not like you step off the plane and go "No one told me it was hot, I thought you sait it was going to be like Norway. I brought my knitted jumper and all!".
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

actually they are romanians, south africans and a few Russians.......

retort??
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

housewife is an unknown quantity at this point

actually they are romanians, south africans and a few Russians.......

retort??
Weird Romanians then, in Europe they can make much more money for less hours.
Anyway, shall we go back to the subject "Alcohol during ramadan" or do you want to go on?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:30 am
W10

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I was thinking just the same thing as her TBH (though I'd have been more subtle about the way I said it) .

Seriously they chose to go and work, it's not like you step off the plane and go "No one told me it was hot, I thought you sait it was going to be like Norway. I brought my knitted jumper and all!".
The choice is:

1, Starve and watch my family live in utter poverty
2, Leave my family behind for years at a time and work in the heat to provide them with a regular income and stability

Yep, they should think themselves lucky...

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Weird Romanians then, in Europe they can make much more money for less hours.
Anyway, shall we go back to the subject "Alcohol during ramadan" or do you want to go on?
actually some of them cant, thats why they are here. Dont believe everything you hear at your hotel poolside
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Alcohol during ramadam

Originally Posted by W10
The choice is:

1, Starve and watch my family live in utter poverty
2, Leave my family behind for years at a time and work in the heat to provide them with a regular income and stability

Yep, they should think themselves lucky...
We forget how lucky we are as people to have these oppertunities, compared to starving though working in 50 degree heat sounds like the option to go for. It was still a choice though, subsistence farming isn't outsourcing yet so they do make choices. I'm sure they could have moved to a city and driven a taxi/rickshaw/whatever to make ends meet instead even if they could not farm, what I'm really getting at is that they have choices.

I'd be a hypocrite if I said "Don't use Indian/Paki/Whatever workers", not to mention cruel and immoral to deny them some of the limited options they have in life. Sorry, but I view this as a mutually beneficial agreement when it comes to low wage workers.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

actually some of them cant, thats why they are here. Dont believe everything you hear at your hotel poolside
Maybe the accept the massive paycut from what they can get at home, just so they can top up their tan and have some Asian waiting staff bring them their 'sundowner' by the pool after their 12 hour day.....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:05 am
W10

Originally Posted by Charismatic
We forget how lucky we are as people to have these oppertunities, compared to starving though working in 50 degree heat sounds like the option to go for. It was still a choice though, subsistence farming isn't outsourcing yet so they do make choices. I'm sure they could have moved to a city and driven a taxi/rickshaw/whatever to make ends meet instead even if they could not farm, what I'm really getting at is that they have choices.

I'd be a hypocrite if I said "Don't use Indian/Paki/Whatever workers", not to mention cruel and immoral to deny them some of the limited options they have in life. Sorry, but I view this as a mutually beneficial agreement when it comes to low wage workers.
So essentially you agree with me then.

It is a choice technically, it isn't a choice in reality. I hope you've spent some time in India/Pakistan and seen these situations first hand.

There is no work..nothing...millions move to the cities for 'hope' and end up even worse off, begging, living on the streets. They don't really have choices.

I would class it as beneficial to one side and survival to the other.

I have nothing but enormous respect for these workers, they are doing what it takes. Sacrificing everything to make a better life for their family. And then arrogant Westerners come along (not having a go at you, talking generally) with superiority complexes...

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:27 am
Truth is the safest lie.

All the information I have on India comes from friends who are from there, so it's second hand.
Originally Posted by W10
I would class it as beneficial to one side and survival to the other.
Better to survive at a subsistance level than starve though...IMO.

Still most Indians do have choices even if limited as to what they can do.
Originally Posted by W10
And then arrogant Westerners come along (not having a go at you, talking generally) with superiority complexes...
Different, not better or worse.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:46 pm
W10

You're trying to define 'choice' using a literal/technical way. Using your logic, almost everybody has a choice over everything because ultimately all human beings have freedom of thought.

There is a difference between having a choice, and having a choice.

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

My god, the way people actually think..... Phenomenal!

Dont be disrespectful, these poorly paid workers are here like most of us, make money and go home!

They arent a piece of shit on anyone's shoe, they are human and it p!sses me right off to see people treat and speak to them like sh!t. Granted some of them are lazy and completely annoying... but still human!

Housewifey, nowt like a bit of tanning but with regards to Ramadan, you get to live in this country and you are welcomed and life is easy because you are a muslim, westerner or married to one. Its one month out of the year that maybe you should participate in the culture? Afterall it is a fricken muslim country?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.