Al Ain airshow

Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Al Ain airshow

I took mini to the airshow today. Very good indeed and much better than I expected - well recommended. Get their early though and mark your territory - there wasn't enough seats.

Last edited by Millhouse; Feb 4th 2011 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:32 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Ain airshow

Went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Stayed the night afterwards at the Rotana and returned home to Dubai via Jebel Hafeet and lunch time snack at the hotel at the top. Us in thermal fleeces and a coach load of tourists in swimwear around the pool.

Well worth a visit even if you're not that into to aerobatics. The air show is great and it.'s a good excuse to visit Al Ain if you haven't been yet. Hope the road works on the al Ain road are done now?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Stayed the night afterwards at the Rotana and returned home to Dubai via Jebel Hafeet and lunch time snack at the hotel at the top. Us in thermal fleeces and a coach load of tourists in swimwear around the pool.

Well worth a visit even if you're not that into to aerobatics. The air show is great and it.'s a good excuse to visit Al Ain if you haven't been yet. Hope the road works on the al Ain road are done now?
Sadly the road works are not yet finished... pretty uncomfortable driving for some of the way.

I also recommend the Zoo down there - although I do prefer the one at Sharama.

I am now sporting 'air show face' - looks like I've been skiing
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:30 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you got to see something. It looked pretty much like it might be cancelled with the high winds etc.

When will they ever get the roadworks finished, huh?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

We had a great day at the Air Show, totally random as ever, first off getting in free as some guy was giving away his extra tickets. We left mid-afternoon to hed over into the dune - much better view of some of the displays as they fly right overhead. Rounded off by a huge bbq with random locals - a good day had all round really.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JulesinDXB
We had a great day at the Air Show, totally random as ever, first off getting in free as some guy was giving away his extra tickets.
That must have been quite common then ... happened to us as well!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
That must have been quite common then ... happened to us as well!
From what I can gather they were just letting people walk in anyway as the first day or so was cancelled due to bad weather, so I think they were just happy to have people there.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

We paid but it was brilliant. Much much better than expected. It was surprising to see the F-16 and Mirages make an appearance too.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
We paid but it was brilliant. Much much better than expected. It was surprising to see the F-16 and Mirages make an appearance too.
what about the jet truck?! awesome!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
what about the jet truck?! awesome!
Possibly the most ridiculous and random thing i've ever seen - but brilliant. We were on the grass patch basically right behind it. It was hilarious. All the kids started screaming and crying whilst the dads were just wetting themselves with laughter.

As for the motorbike that jumped over the plane? Wow!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Possibly the most ridiculous and random thing i've ever seen - but brilliant. We were on the grass patch basically right behind it. It was hilarious. All the kids started screaming and crying whilst the dads were just wetting themselves with laughter.

As for the motorbike that jumped over the plane? Wow!
We too were on that grass behind it. I was holding mini up over the fence at the time the thing blasted - I just had to run!

And the bike - plane thing was amazing. I've never seen anything like this in the UK (where Health and Safety standards apply).

for those interested:

bike jumps over plane:
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterkil.../2/FMwAYQd4tGU

jet truck:
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterkil.../0/mqEDXr1HViQ
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

That's actually what the stuntmen said in the interview. They said that had the HSE (or whoever) gotten so much of a sniff of that stunt they'd have been shut down straight away.

My other favourite bit was the turkish airforce that did a crossover stunt thing right over our heads. Again, mass hysteria followed.

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out later.