Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

****** and ******** - is shooting too good for them?

****** and ******** - is shooting too good for them?

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ****** and Partners - is shooting too good for them?

Originally Posted by UAEORACLE
Yes I gather their commission's are paid upfront as the plans they sell are front-loaded; the client's premium's paid during the initial period cover the costs of the plan, including the broker's commission.

I don't know of an ethical firm with the right individuals or the infrastructure/support to offer a full holistic FP service, not in the UAE anyway. It's such a shame.

Broker's do bounce from firm to firm. The MD of One International is ex-DV&P and GE, so he's learnt plenty of tricks along the way I'm sure.

I think it is the environment, 100% commission jobs must be hard to bare....

The labour-attrition rate is an excellent indicator of a company's ethical stance. High turnover is not good at all, the average client will most likely be switched from broker to new broker as the former leaves and the latter inherits the client and so on.

No visa = No work. If they get caught, then they are going to be shut down and the individuals are heading home. Do the authorities impose fines on firms that break employment law in the UAE?

Can't someone just set-up a decent FP practice and do the expats justice by offering a decent service. There's enough to go around without being greedy and doing a crap job isn't there? Surely you guys agree! Who the hell wants a 25 year savings plan?
Best-UO!
As I keep saying, some of us do exactly that.

I have never arranged a long term savings plans like that and whole-heartedly agree that to do so is wrong. Most so-called advisers here don't have any qualifications and have no understanding of tax issues that apply to expats so are mis-selling on that issue, let alone anything else.

At the company I am linked to all advisers are now qualified and on proper visas. Staff tend to leave as they are no good and cannot cut it. This is a tough market with most positions being self-employed. Whilst you are given time to write business, anyone who has done nothing after a few months is asked to leave as it is, after all, a business. It is compnay policy to never cold-call anyone. Admittedly this wasn't always the way, but it is now. As we have little in the way or regulation or compliance, individual ethics and professionalism come into play and whilst not all of us need a rule book in order to do things correctly, I'd love to see a much tighter regime, especially as numerous well-known firms are operating without proper licences right now.

Whilst qualifications are not everything, I fail to see how anyone can claim to be any sort of adviser without them. I find it quite amazing that people who do nothing more than switch companies every few years as it never quite works, flog a few saving schemes, have no concept of taxation and do not understand holistic planning have the nerve to claim to be an adviser.

-
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ****** and ******** - is shooting too good for them?

Just a note - had a cold c all from some knobhead yesterday asking me questions like who do you work for etc. I stopped him and asked
a) Why do you want to know?
b)What company do you work for/

His answer

a)I'm a financial advisor
b) I work for PIC

Guess who PIC are affiliated to - no prizes by the way. Gave him short shrift, wish I had made the never ending appointment now - could have been fun.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

His first answer was wrong. He's a salesman.

-
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:14 am
Just Joined

UAEORACLE is an unknown quantity at this point

Meow has it in one, he's a Salesman. Ignore those chimps, as I said before apply chimp-reppelent!!!

Best-UO.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Dear all,

DV&P have recently launched an interactive fund platform. Could this encourage unsophisticated investors to take short-term views over medium to long-term investments? Day trading is not for the inexperienced and it really isn't suitable given the USP they punt into the market; medium to long-term investment, pertaining to retirement, etc,..

Again the client is assuming ALL of the risk and DV&P are unaccountable. I cannot see how the FMs are going to let policyholders trade in and out of funds without imposing a hefty B/O spread or other associated transaction costs. Can anyone shed some light on this topic? Are they trying to broker funds instead of equities?

What is the catch here?

Any thoughts both positive and negative would be well appreciated.

Best-UO!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Can I name an IFA I have met to get anyone's opinion on whether he's reputable or not ?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Mogs,

Yes please do. Hopefully it'll be a professional from a reputable firm.

Best-UO!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

His name is Simon Naylor from One International
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

he kept mentioning that he was registered in UK and had xx years experience.

Sounded genuine, but I'm very sceptical as I know little to nothing about offshore schemes (QROPS, etc)

Also met someone from Globaleye a year or two back - didn't do anything with them.

Both companies cold-called
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

One International are not an IFA. Does that help?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

It was probably the same person who has your contact details. Half of One Int are ex-GE. Just steer clear.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks UO - any recommendations for a genuine IFA in Dubai ?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Yes Mogs,

(1) Holborn Assets-Dubai. (2) Acuma Wealth Management-Abu Dhabi.

The reason you may not have heard from either of these two firms is quite simple, they do not cold-call and they do not need to aggressively pursue business.

Best,UO!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:48 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Mogs
Me! Highly qualified, experienced and never cold-called in my life. I even work with one of those firms mentioned.

-
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:56 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
Yes speaking to Meow would be a good step in the right direction. I only know of a few individuals not working for those two companies who know what they are doing. Definately steer clear of other companies if you are looking at something serious like your pension...

I work for one of the two companies mentioned, not the same one as Meow though....it's nice to see someone is doing things properly

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.