Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

****** and ******** - is shooting too good for them?

****** and ******** - is shooting too good for them?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about
Default ****** and ******** - is shooting too good for them?

Bloody ****** and ****ing Partners, financial advisors or, more accurately, cold-calling salespeople of financial products, got hold of my phone number from a work colleague. The resultant phonecalls generally happen about 2 hours after I fall asleep following a night shift. B*stards is too kind a word to describe these cretins, who always start with "hi XXXXX, how are you?" as if they may be some friend I'd forgotten to call for a while. They hold off for a while before mentioning who they work for....

Yesterday, I got to sleep after work at about 8am. At around 10am, the phone rang. Yup, DePrick and Partners. I stated in no uncertain terms that they should NEVER call me again, and I should be removed from their lists. So....at around 3pm another DePrick called with no knowledge of the first call. Today, I got another call from them, this time from a woman who hounded me for weeks back in the spring. I had already told her then never to call me again.

What is it with these people? What right do they assume they have to waste peoples' time, and why on Earth do they think any professional person in the UAE doesn't have some clue what to do with their money without resort to salespeople???

I can't be the only person here who has had the misfortune to hear of ******. What can be done about endless unsolicited calls, especially when I've already told them NOT to call me???
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ****** and Partners - is shooting too good for them?

Originally Posted by Clay Buster
Bloody ****** and ****ing Partners, financial advisors or, more accurately, cold-calling salespeople of financial products, got hold of my phone number from a work colleague. The resultant phonecalls generally happen about 2 hours after I fall asleep following a night shift. B*stards is too kind a word to describe these cretins, who always start with "hi XXXXX, how are you?" as if they may be some friend I'd forgotten to call for a while. They hold off for a while before mentioning who they work for....

Yesterday, I got to sleep after work at about 8am. At around 10am, the phone rang. Yup, DePrick and Partners. I stated in no uncertain terms that they should NEVER call me again, and I should be removed from their lists. So....at around 3pm another DePrick called with no knowledge of the first call. Today, I got another call from them, this time from a woman who hounded me for weeks back in the spring. I had already told her then never to call me again.

What is it with these people? What right do they assume they have to waste peoples' time, and why on Earth do they think any professional person in the UAE doesn't have some clue what to do with their money without resort to salespeople???

I can't be the only person here who has had the misfortune to hear of ******. What can be done about endless unsolicited calls, especially when I've already told them NOT to call me???
I've had many of those calls.

I usually say things like "that sounds really interesting, tell me more"... then I put my phone on my desk and go back to whatever I was doing.

I suppose they talk to the air for a while...
They eventually hang up.

Give that a try.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:00 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Treat them as obscene phone callers and blow a whistle down the phone...

Or ask them to call you back on your mobile and do what BurpusMe suggests...that way it costs them money...

Or buy something from them and you'll never hear from them again.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

are you referring to DV and partners? real nuisance aren't they
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the pleasure of speaking to them before too - they seem amazed when you tell them you don't want to meet with them to discuss your finances.

They even asked me what I had to lose from meeting them! Several wasted hours of my life followed by several more hours of irritating phone calls I would imagine.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough

They even asked me what I had to lose from meeting them! Several wasted hours of my life followed by several more hours of irritating phone calls I would imagine.
And a shed load of hard earned money on one of their punted rip off 'investment' plans no doubt
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

easy- organise a meeting, and then don't show up.

After a couple of those, they will give up.

If not, call Etisalat and complain.

Or you could block their calls on your phone...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
easy- organise a meeting, and then don't show up.

After a couple of those, they will give up.

If not, call Etisalat and complain.

Or you could block their calls on your phone...
Report them to Al Ameen!!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't believe their employment practices............ those 'cold callers' have to rent their desks and phones from the company, and provide their own PCs.

The company pays commission three months in arrears, and if you resign, you simply forfeit those three months of commission. I know two people (both as honest as the day is long) who were seduced into working for them, and neither came out on top, financially, despite bringing in reasonable business volumes.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

I've had a good experience with these guys.., no pressure or strong arm tactics
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:44 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid, avoid, avoid! Few of their so-called adviser have decent qualifications and they sell rather than advise.

TM-LB - I bet they sold you a long term savings plan.

-
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I met one of these jokers in '04.

I rec'd a random phone call and the chance to meet and discuss a financial plan with NO OBLIGATION.

Met the guy and he asked me a few details and showed me a few things...how much i need to retire, how much I could save over 'x' years and how much they could make those savings grow.

The meeting ended with me having some info to look over and him promising to forward me a 'financial plan tailored to my needs and situation'.

That evening I read the info and discussed with a few others and decided not to go ahead with it.

The guy emails my 'tailor made plan' and I review that also.

Next day the guy calls and I say that I decided not to go ahead and man, was he not happy about that.

him: "I thought we had an arrangement!?"
Me: "no - it was no obligation - i didn't promise anything"
him :"but we had 3 guys working 7 hours each on this" (yeah right)
me :"what to you want me to do?"

It ended there luckily....but then last year I had a call....said I might be leaving dubai...."oh - I will call again in 3 months just to see if anything has changed.

3 months later I say the same thing, he says same thing....it's happened every 3 months. I must be about due for my quarterly call.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I met one of these chaps after a 'recommendation' from a colleague (we have since fired this bloke)

Chappy came into the office - I finally met him after his third visit and try.

He took some details and produced his 'tailor made plan'

His recommendation was a long term savings plan.

He fell to apart when I questioned his fees, the proceeds on early redemption and the tax position should I go back onshore.

For some reason he never called me back once he realised I was also qualified Financial Planner that decided to never enter the industry as it basically involves very dim people trying to sell snake oil...

I actually love dealing with these people - shame they don't come in the office more often.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
Avoid, avoid, avoid! Few of their so-called adviser have decent qualifications and they sell rather than advise.

TM-LB - I bet they sold you a long term savings plan.

-

Tailored long term savings plan
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
Tailored long term savings plan
Really?? Tailored in that they picked a few funds. That company never put together decent portfolio. I have had to fix far too many.

Hardly anyone out here should have a plan that is long term as offshore schemes are not suitable when you return to the UK. The longer the plan term the more the commission to the salesperson.

I'll make another guess. They told you you could cancel it after 18 months. (That's nonsense by the way.)

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.