Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

******** unbelievable!!

******** unbelievable!!

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future
Default Re: ******** unbelievable!!

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
the whole thing smells a bit fishy tbh... I mean, wife left without him in 2005, visa and passport expired - I mean, who'd let their passport expire if they were living in a foreign country?!

Aside from that, well, what are his family doing? Shrugging their shoulders and saying that it's unfortunate?

Yes, the Consulate should help him, but I guess the "issue" is the unpaid hospital bill - a month in a private hospital is going to be expensive... and then, if he's been living in various furnished apartements without any income (or legal income), then I'm guessing there may be a few more bills to sort out.

The Consulate can't really afford to set a precedent and bail people out financially - otherwise they'd never hear the end of it.
Come on surely this is an exceptional case. Its not like we are all dying on beds in hospitals across the country. I wouldnt mind my taxes paid in UK being spent in such cases were people really and genuinely need help. Its not always about the money,.... we are human at the end of the day.

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:23 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

There are probably hundreds of similar old British guys in Thailand, the Philipines, Kenya and other countries popular with single male expats living on the breadline. Should British taxpayers finance their repatriation too? Most knew what they were getting into beforehand. As for this particular case, he seems to have been living here illegally for ages. Why did he not renew his passport earlier? It just seems a little fishy to me, the BE sceptic.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

Ok lets look at it another way...

What about the taxes he paid before the 30 odd years he spent ouside the country. I am assuming he was a good citizen in the UK and contibuted to society one way or another. His country lets him down in his final years? This is what pisses me off.

Money? **** the money man.... stupid materialism always comes in the way.

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
There are probably hundreds of similar old British guys in Thailand, the Philipines, Kenya and other countries popular with single male expats living on the breadline. Should British taxpayers finance their repatriation too? Most knew what they were getting into beforehand. As for this particular case, he seems to have been living here illegally for ages. Why did he not renew his passport earlier? It just seems a little fishy to me, the BE sceptic.
Well we dont know the full story so we are commenting based on the facts we have. He could have been ill, he didnt have a job so i dont know how he paid for the furnished apartments, ... i dont know how he paid for anything.... all I know is that the consulate should give this case more attention.

If its a serious problem and there are many people in his situation in other countries,... well the government needs to put a system in place to deal with them. Do they just let them rot there?

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:54 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae
Well we dont know the full story so we are commenting based on the facts we have. He could have been ill, he didnt have a job so i dont know how he paid for the furnished apartments, ... i dont know how he paid for anything.... all I know is that the consulate should give this case more attention.

If its a serious problem and there are many people in his situation in other countries,... well the government needs to put a system in place to deal with them. Do they just let them rot there?

Inv.
perhaps the consulate could point the chap in the direction of a charity/alternative organization if they're incapable (for whatever reason) of helping? that would be at least something.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:57 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
perhaps the consulate could point the chap in the direction of a charity/alternative organization if they're incapable (for whatever reason) of helping? that would be at least something.
they normally refer them to Helping Hands, I am trying to get in touch with the Organiser to see if she is aware of this. HH is busting at the seems at the minute trying to help people who have lost their jobs
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:19 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
they normally refer them to Helping Hands, I am trying to get in touch with the Organiser to see if she is aware of this. HH is busting at the seems at the minute trying to help people who have lost their jobs
out of curiosity, when it comes to ppl being out of work and the consulate referring to HH, is there any quid pro quo going on? that is, are the embassy staff helping out with particular information or just pointing ppl towards HH and washing their hands of the situation?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

out of curiosity, when it comes to ppl being out of work and the consulate referring to HH, is there any quid pro quo going on? that is, are the embassy staff helping out with particular information or just pointing ppl towards HH and washing their hands of the situation?
the latter
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the latter
This is where I didnt want it to get to.... avoiding all or some responsibility by the consulate.

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:00 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

No Taxation = No representation.

Any Brit expat who expects or believes they will get any consular/embassy help when needed is sadly deluded. The British Government doesnt give a rats ass for expats and probably never will.

If you want that then become an american citizen.

This guys been here for over 30yrs I'm pretty sure he knows he aint getting consular assitance.

sad story yup, worth fretting over, nope
he's just the one you heard about today, what about the dozens you didnt????

n.b I was in Thailand a couple yrs ago during the coup, phoned the embassy to find out what was what, only to get an answer machine message saying they were closed due to the coup, that pretty much sums up what to expect from the british governemnt when the shit hits the fan.
If you dont have a backup/shit hits the fan plan as a brit expat then tough shit its your own fault
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:28 pm
Concierge

right the Embassy are aware of this man and are involved in his case, he has had a very severe stroke. Someone will be visiting him tomorrow to assess his situation and then decide what plan of action to take.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:42 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

If he's lived in the UAE for the past 33 years he should have saved up a few pennies or at least been smart enough to buy himself some critical illness insurance years ago when he was young and it was cheap to pay out a nice lump sum to cover just this sort of thing.

However it seems he's lived a dodgy existence here, being sponsored by relatives and not working (or likely working without sponsorship)...seems fishy because he's been able to afford living in furnished apartments for years.

The consulate or his family/friends will need to check if he has any money to pay the bills...if he hasn't they'll have to get him out but I know for a fact they don't help quickly or easily in most cases.

We have rubbish consular services that cost way more than many countries. I'd hate to be in his position.

N.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
he should have saved up a few pennies or at least been smart enough to buy himself some critical illness insurance years ago when he was young and it was cheap to pay out a nice lump sum to cover just this sort of thing
Oh come on, Norm - we're not all like you!

Although I don't believe the British Consulate owe him a duty of care, nevertheless I still think they should help him. Poor old sod.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
Oh come on, Norm - we're not all like you!

Although I don't believe the British Consulate owe him a duty of care, nevertheless I still think they should help him. Poor old sod.
I should hope you're not all like me - there's enough sordid alcoholics around as it is! That aside I don't know what the excuse would be for spending 33 years in the UAE and not having saved something, anything or having friends or family who could help.

I would not expect anyone but family or very close friends to help me. I pretty much hate and distrust the UK Government so would only go to them as a last resort.

N.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I should hope you're not all like me - there's enough sordid alcoholics around as it is! That aside I don't know what the excuse would be for spending 33 years in the UAE and not having saved something, anything or having friends or family who could help.

I would not expect anyone but family or very close friends to help me. I pretty much hate and distrust the UK Government so would only go to them as a last resort.

N.
I think - from what I've read - that this guy lived on the fringes of society. I imagine Critical Illness Cover was way down his list of priorities. I also don't imagine his friends (if he has any) are that wealthy, either. As I said, poor old sod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.