Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

******** unbelievable!!

******** unbelievable!!

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future
Default ******** unbelievable!!

Is this how our consulate is suppose to treat its citizens here? :curse: This poor man has no family here and his visa and passport both expired. He is already suffering in Kuwaiti Hospital yet our consulate ignores this case. When asked to comment the official from british consulate goes "confidentiality" cant discuss it sorry. :curse:

What do you guys think? How would u feel if you were in his shoes?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10297501.html

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ******** unbelievable!!

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae View Post
Is this how our consulate is suppose to treat its citizens here? :curse: This poor man has no family here and his visa and passport both expired. He is already suffering in Kuwaiti Hospital yet our consulate ignores this case. When asked to comment the official from british consulate goes "confidentiality" cant discuss it sorry. :curse:

What do you guys think? How would u feel if you were in his shoes?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10297501.html

Inv.
has he paid income tax or national insurance contributions for the last 33 years he has lived outside the UK?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if we can find out how much the hospital need we could get Helping Hands to repatriate him?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon View Post
has he paid income tax or national insurance contributions for the last 33 years he has lived outside the UK?
I can see your angle, but what relevance is it now?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

You think if this is true, they are legally allowed to ignore him? I thought what matters is that he is a british citizen, thats all. There are ppl in UK who are gettin help, they are not paying taxes, taxes are paid to them....

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

You think if this is true, they are legally allowed to ignore him? I thought what matters is that he is a british citizen, thats all. There are ppl in UK who are gettin help, they are not paying taxes, taxes are paid to them....

Inv.
and I don't think that is right either..
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of spongers in the UK that receive all sorts of benefits but pay nothing in return, but that is a whole different situation.

Whilst this guy has been out of the country for a long time, the fact is that he's still a British citizen and as such should receive full consular assistance.

Without knowing the facts it's very difficult to comment any further, but his family don't seem to want to know, so he needs help from somewhere.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

and I don't think that is right either..
Ah ok, so you were giving an opinion earlier. I thought it was a fact... legal matter.

I still believe he is entitled to get help from the consulate of his home country. If you were dying on a bed in Kuwaiti Hospital with no family around you and no one else to help but the consulate who totally friggin ignores u, am sure you will have a different opinion.

All he needs is a new passport and send him home. This is the job of the consulate.

Inv.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:55 am
Concierge

it isn't as straight forward as that, he will have fines that are oustanding that will need to be paid. I have rang Helping Hands to see if they can help him. It all comes down to money. I am guessing we will need to raise 20,000 dhs to get him out of here.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

All he needs is a new passport and send him home. This is the job of the consulate.
I completely agree. That's the least one would expect from the consulate of a civilised country. In fact, such things wouldn't even have been an issue 20 or 30 years ago - the traditional FCO staff would have dealt with all of it discretely and professionally. Now, just like any other public sector body back home, they seem to spend more time and money doing 'diverstiy awareness trainings' then anythnig useful. These buggers make enough money (AED 800++ just for a birth registration!) here in Dubai to afford decent consular services for the Brits here, especially in emergency/hardship cases like this. Am pretty sure the septics would behave differently if this was one of their own...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:58 am
Concierge

The Embassy here is only here for foreigners, not British Nationals. It's a one stop visa shop.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
The Embassy here is only here for foreigners, not British Nationals. It's a one stop visa shop.
The Embassy doesn't even arrange visas though! The bulk of the work is done through some third-party outsourcing company?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:03 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

the whole thing smells a bit fishy tbh... I mean, wife left without him in 2005, visa and passport expired - I mean, who'd let their passport expire if they were living in a foreign country?!

Aside from that, well, what are his family doing? Shrugging their shoulders and saying that it's unfortunate?

Yes, the Consulate should help him, but I guess the "issue" is the unpaid hospital bill - a month in a private hospital is going to be expensive... and then, if he's been living in various furnished apartements without any income (or legal income), then I'm guessing there may be a few more bills to sort out.

The Consulate can't really afford to set a precedent and bail people out financially - otherwise they'd never hear the end of it.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:09 am
Concierge

that's the problem, if they do it for one they will end up doing it for all. They will probably issue a passport free of charge but that will be it. I wonder if this guy even has anywhere to go? I was involved in a similar case last year, and the guy in question went to a place for homeless people in Spain, sadly he died not long after.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
They will probably issue a passport free of charge but that will be it.
They should do passport and one-way air ticket home, that's all. Everything else should be local charities etc. or the hospital might just cancel the bill if that's what it takes to free up the room/bed and get him out of there...for the hosp, its better that he leaves now, and doesn't stay in the hospital for another month and racks up yet more hospital bills which they can never recover.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.