Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

certificate and marrying abroad

certificate and marrying abroad

Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

seastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default certificate and marrying abroad

Many countries need a document stating that you are legally free to marry which is called 'Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage'. My question is: Is there this kind of certificate issued in St. Lucia?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: certificate and marrying abroad

No idea, you would have to ask a lawyer, I married my St Lucian husband and he did not need anything like this. Sorry cant be more helpful.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: certificate and marrying abroad

Originally Posted by seastar
Many countries need a document stating that you are legally free to marry which is called 'Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage'. My question is: Is there this kind of certificate issued in St. Lucia?
So far as I am aware, the only document that you would need to furnish in St Lucia, if applicable, would be your decree absolute papers for your divorce from a previous marriage or death certificate if you are a widow/widower. There is no banns reading which seeks to reveal an impediment.

However, the process is conducted by consulting a lawyer who prepares the marriage licence and one presumes this is to cover the absence of banns issue by addressing the legality by another route.

In addition:

Deed Poll (for those with name changes)

Evidence of Parental Consent (for persons under 18 years)

Authentic Translation (for any documents not in English)

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 3rd 2013 at 8:00 pm. Reason: In addition:.....