You know your in the UK when .....

Old Oct 26th 2013, 3:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in the UK when .....

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, but the regional web site, not the main one. There are specific psrts of the BBC site that are for regional news, stuff that wouldn't make the nationals and local reactions to national stories, how the locality is affected.
There was a link to it from the main page at the time, and it also is still one of the main stories on the "Business" section, so not entirely tucked away on a regional site.

One could say that all the BBC stories are not on the main site - they are almost all hosted on some sort of sub-page (Scotland, Your Money, etc.). This was clearly a big enough story to be put on the "front page" yesterday. All of the national news happens somewhere local, after all.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

This talk about what constitutes national and/or local news on the BBC news website sounds like a Friday conversation to me. We're no longer in Pedantry Land - lets just agree that all staff in every single UK supermarket are rude to customers.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
This talk about what constitutes national and/or local news on the BBC news website sounds like a Friday conversation to me. We're no longer in Pedantry Land - lets just agree that all staff in every single UK supermarket are rude to customers.
No! I don't want to. I've never ever witnessed rudeness in a UK supermarket to me or anybody else. Always smiles and helpfulness, even under stress. No such luck in Monoprix in Paris.

Maybe there was something about Sabina that strangely gave rise to the staff member thinking they were entitled to pass comment in some fashion.

When the article was 'reprinted' (credit was given to the BBC for a picture) in the Daily Mail there are multiple comments on there that also want to jump all over Sabina - what can I say?

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 26th 2013 at 8:01 pm. Reason: multiple
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:08 pm
Next chapter awaits

HighCaper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
No! I don't want to. I've never ever witnessed rudeness in a UK supermarket to me or anybody else. Always smiles and helpfulness, even under stress.
I completely agree Pistolpete2, I too find the supermarket staff to be polite, friendly and in most cases couldn't do enough to help. I would go so far to say that I haven't yet found any staff member in any UK retail environment to be anything but friendly and helpful. In my opinion there's never smoke without some sort of fire no matter how small the flame is.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity, how old should a child be before it's reasonable to take them out in public?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just out of curiosity, how old should a child be before it's reasonable to take them out in public?
They can go out from day one, presuming all is well. They ( the babies ) are unlikely to touch anything and the only way they can contract anything is from other people and that can happen at anytime from day one till the end of days.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCaper
I completely agree Pistolpete2, I too find the supermarket staff to be polite, friendly and in most cases couldn't do enough to help. I would go so far to say that I haven't yet found any staff member in any UK retail environment to be anything but friendly and helpful. In my opinion there's never smoke without some sort of fire no matter how small the flame is.
We commented on that when we first arrived here, we were assured that they would all be rude and surly but have found the exact opposite. How this example of a single comment by one individual became newsworthy is beyond me.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:54 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm thinking about 27.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I'm thinking about 27.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We commented on that when we first arrived here, we were assured that they would all be rude and surly but have found the exact opposite. How this example of a single comment by one individual became newsworthy is beyond me.
It is because most are friendly and polite, that the odd one stands out and makes the news.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:18 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
It is because most are friendly and polite, that the odd one stands out and makes the news.
Yes you are right, still not really newsworthy even on a slow news day, surely there was a cat stuck in a tree somewhere
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You know you are in ENGLAND when they serve you warm beer and it is not a mistake.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:22 am
Banned

Actually real ale in the UK is served at cellar temperature so is rarely warm. You arent a closet Aussie are you?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

.......... a gentle breeze rolls in off the south coast and the country goes into panic mode.

Devastated my brothers back garden.
Attached Thumbnails You know your in the UK when .....-chair.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2013, 11:41 am
Banned

Noone went into panic mode, alerts were issued and some places were hit hard by it. As with any sort of weather it cant be reliably predicted, better to be warned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.