What makes Britain Great?

Old May 25th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain Great?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What makes Britain Great. I suppose I should wait until I'm living there permanently to comment, but I've had quite a few visits of up to 3 months a time, so I'll say what I loved about it. To be precise, about Liverpool because I was only a tourist in other parts

I love how people interact with their neighbours. They're not in each other's pockets all the time, but everyone on one street seems to know everyone else and there's always a 'good morning' or a bit of banter as you're walking by. That's not so common in Australia, the suburbs are still mostly fully detached houses, people seem to move frequently.

Public transport - love the buses. You're never far from a bus stop.

The climate! I realize that this is very much a personal preference, but I'm well and truly over the sweltering, burning summers here. Scouse's family think I'm mad when I say I prefer a cooler climate to the Oz sun, but I do. To my mind, it's far more pleasant to rug up and go out than be stuck indoors in the airconditioning to avoid the furnace outside.

The travel opportunities, both within the UK and further afield. That's important to me because we love to travel and have done the nearby Asian countries to death. We take lots of short trips here but you need to drive a long way if you're holidaying in WA. For example, we visit friends in Albany a lot, which is a 5 hour drive each way. A flight to Melbourne or Sydney is 4-5 hours and hellishly expensive. For what we pay for a week in Melbourne, we could probably have a 4 week B&B driving holiday around the UK or a 5 star, 2 week all inclusive holiday in any European capital.

History, old buildings etc. Europeans have only been in Oz for around 230 years. The history of indigenous Australians is of course far, far longer. But Aboriginal history, in the sense of seeing and touching, isn't very accessible to wajelas (white fellas). It's primarily an oral history, although there are of course some amazing artifacts and early rock paintings.

Whenever I'm travelling in the UK and see old buildings, preserved or ruins, I like to put my hands on them and imagine the lives of all the people who've lived there. Which makes me a pretty embarrassing travel companion 3 of my grandparents were born in England and Scotland, that's where most of my family history is.

And - um - bacon and sausages
It's the travel opportunities and history that lure me, too - as well as the culture, public transport and the fact it's home.
Old May 26th 2014, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sadie It sure is a huge move you're making, especially after 43 years in the US. Don't be shy about taking any help that's offered from friends! I hope a flat becomes available for you soon, and that your return home goes smoothly
thanks ..sos.....my family and a good very old friend will help me, but still have to do all this end by myself..its overwhelming, so taking it one day at a time. reading on here helps too!!
Old May 26th 2014, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
I am going back after 37 years in the USA.

It sounds as if you have a senior flat lined up. How were you able to do that while living in the USA?
hi ws I have visited my family for the third yr in succession this yr...and while there looked for a snr place nr to my family and my niece got the application for me and I applied.....its probably because all my family are in the area...they ask that on the application, but I do have to wait for a flat to become available, meanwhile im trying to clean my house out and then may take my fur girls to stay with my friend until I get a flat, then come back to sell my house...yikes...overwhelming thinking and writing it...but i.m determined to think positive...not easy at my age?!
Old May 27th 2014, 10:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What makes Britain Great. I suppose I should wait until I'm living there permanently to comment, but I've had quite a few visits of up to 3 months a time, so I'll say what I loved about it. To be precise, about Liverpool because I was only a tourist in other parts

I love how people interact with their neighbours. They're not in each other's pockets all the time, but everyone on one street seems to know everyone else and there's always a 'good morning' or a bit of banter as you're walking by. That's not so common in Australia, the suburbs are still mostly fully detached houses, people seem to move frequently.

Public transport - love the buses. You're never far from a bus stop.

The climate! I realize that this is very much a personal preference, but I'm well and truly over the sweltering, burning summers here. Scouse's family think I'm mad when I say I prefer a cooler climate to the Oz sun, but I do. To my mind, it's far more pleasant to rug up and go out than be stuck indoors in the airconditioning to avoid the furnace outside.

The travel opportunities, both within the UK and further afield. That's important to me because we love to travel and have done the nearby Asian countries to death. We take lots of short trips here but you need to drive a long way if you're holidaying in WA. For example, we visit friends in Albany a lot, which is a 5 hour drive each way. A flight to Melbourne or Sydney is 4-5 hours and hellishly expensive. For what we pay for a week in Melbourne, we could probably have a 4 week B&B driving holiday around the UK or a 5 star, 2 week all inclusive holiday in any European capital.

History, old buildings etc. Europeans have only been in Oz for around 230 years. The history of indigenous Australians is of course far, far longer. But Aboriginal history, in the sense of seeing and touching, isn't very accessible to wajelas (white fellas). It's primarily an oral history, although there are of course some amazing artifacts and early rock paintings.

Whenever I'm travelling in the UK and see old buildings, preserved or ruins, I like to put my hands on them and imagine the lives of all the people who've lived there. Which makes me a pretty embarrassing travel companion 3 of my grandparents were born in England and Scotland, that's where most of my family history is.

And - um - bacon and sausages
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Sushipie is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading so much it makes me want to come home so bad!
I miss
The pubs
The banter
The English humour
The tv
Family
Friends
Gorgeous towns and villages
Architecture
Countryside
M&s food
3 for a tenner wine in tesco
Friendliness
Theatre
snow days as the UK can't cope with snow is hilarious - I love it!
The weather gives me the excuse to wrap up on the couch and feel glad I'm not out.
The lake district
Beer gardens
Fireplaces...there's so much more

Last edited by Sushipie; Aug 15th 2014 at 9:37 pm. Reason: Sp mistakes
Old Aug 16th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sushipie
I miss
The pubs
The banter
The English humour
The tv
Family
Friends
Architecture
Countryside
M&s food
Friendliness
Theatre
The weather gives me the excuse to wrap up on the couch and feel glad I'm not out.
The lake district
Beer gardens
Yes to all but I think the days of the three for a tenner in Tesco are long gone
Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Sushipie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Yes to all but I think the days of the three for a tenner in Tesco are long gone
Awwww and that was what was pulling me back....might have to reconsider now!!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can always hop over the Channel with a people carrier and bring back a few bottles. I just paid less than a fiver a bottle for Mouton Cadet in my local supermarket.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Britain's 20 friendliest places to live - Telegraph

Even if you disagree with the results, there are enough photos in the link to make many a folk yearn for the old country.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Britain's 20 friendliest places to live - Telegraph

Even if you disagree with the results, there are enough photos in the link to make many a folk yearn for the old country.
Must have been written by a southerner - everyone knows the further north you get, the friendlier people are.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Must have been written by a southerner - everyone knows the further north you get, the friendlier people are.
There's a few northern towns in there!

Keswick is number 1 - I can just about pick out my sister's house in that photo - we are off to stay there in few days
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Even my northerner husband doesn't believe that one.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:49 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that link was great..... There is nothing quite like home.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sushipie
I miss
The pubs
The banter
The English humour
The tv
Family
Friends
Architecture
Countryside
M&s food
Friendliness
Theatre
The lake district
Beer gardens
Well here is one more..
The British Police do not carry guns.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:12 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

As my Canadian husband tells me, what makes Britain Great is the wonderful British humour, and our ability to laugh at ourselves. Its something that has been lost elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.