Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by Shard
This seems to have been written by a zombie. WTF do you mean?
I understood him, but I agree that the addition of zombies and cavemen to the metaphor was likely to confuse.

'Absolute poverty' is also problematic. How do you define absolute poverty?

The world average salary is just over £11,000 (worked out by the BBC from ILO figures in 2012). So, looking at today's figures published by the Treasury, the bottom centile in British society earn less than the world average.

But, if you take into account all the free stuff provided by British infrastructure, such as the NHS, education, etc, virtually nobody in Britain is poor in world terms.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really 13 million? Very high. These days the poverty of want seems to be included in the poverty of need (foreign holidays, good TV's, meals out, etc.).
I can't remember the exact figures, though 6.75 million working poor comes to mind. What I took from the programme was that there is a growth in the number of people where their paycheck barely covers the necessities and one small unexpected cost, such as needing to replace an appliance, could push them into making a difficult decision as to how they were going attain the money to cover it. Not so much living pay cheque to pay cheque as a gradual decline in their living standards.

.... or starving more slowly.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to have been written by a zombie. WTF do you mean?
Relative poverty is a nonsense.

If Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and another dozen or so billionaires all moved, kit and caboodle, to the UK, and spent their money locally, clearly there would be a lot more money around, and there would (probably) be far less absolute poverty.

Relatively speaking though, we would all be far close to the poverty line.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I understood him, but I agree that the addition of zombies and cavemen to the metaphor was likely to confuse.

The world average salary is just over £11,000 (worked out by the BBC from ILO figures in 2012). So, looking at today's figures published by the Treasury, the bottom centile in British society earn less than the world average.

But, if you take into account all the free stuff provided by British infrastructure, such as the NHS, education, etc, virtually nobody in Britain is poor in world terms.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

This is why it needs to be a relative measure. The issue is that no one fully understands what the measure is. I think a good proxy, given that healthcare and to some extent shelter can be provided by the state, would be food spending. Some multiple or % of food spend. The consumer goods and experiences are a red herring.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

and spot on.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
They don't tie them, they just throw them up - they are usually way up in the tops of the trees.

Local initiative involves spray-painting poo piles that haven't been picked up, to "raise awareness" of the problem. 76 piles of poo around the children's play area. Disgusting, lazy people give responsible dog-owners a bad name.
Stop Press: Celebrity finds poo trees.

Jeremy Paxman attacks 'dog-owning morons' for spoiling beach - Telegraph
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
He's right to speak against it. Disgusting habit.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
He's right to speak against it. Disgusting habit.
According to some people, poo trees don't exist.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
According to some people, poo trees don't exist.
Poo trees might be the softer option.

If there is one negative sentiment that I have had since returning to the UK in early August, it is towards the prevalence of dogs in pedestrianised areas/walkways with the obvious inevitability of soiling, which is simply not cleaned up at all or properly.

This often occurs right where people are sitting and eating in the open - it's simply disgusting and shows a complete absence of any sort of caring on the part of dog-owners.

I will say that this is more visible outside of areas perceived as being better residential, however any visit to rare green open spaces in this urbanised spot means that one always encounters loads of dog-owners with the obvious outcome. I wouldn't dare to walk down a public footpath unless it is well-worn with short grass.

In all honestly I have developed a look-down posture for fear of treading in something. I simply was not aware of the extent of dog ownership in urban areas in this country, which impacts on others as though we all live in Paris.

Thankfully, after over a month of no rain we have had two days of heavy rain to at least clean the streets up a bit.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 6th 2014 at 8:39 am. Reason: towards
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I really dont see this dog poo issue or at least no worse than when we lived in Australia. If you live somewhere there are lots of dogs then you will inevitably have some people who wont clear it up. Its the same when I hear people talk about all the rubbish everywhere, I am glad we dont live in those areas.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:09 am
Yo

Originally Posted by chris955
I really dont see this dog poo issue or at least no worse than when we lived in Australia. If you live somewhere there are lots of dogs then you will inevitably have some people who wont clear it up. Its the same when I hear people talk about all the rubbish everywhere, I am glad we dont live in those areas.
Me too. So much of one's perception of Britain relates to the small geographic area in which they live, and many could resolve their frustrations by simply moving elsewhere in Britain.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Where I live at least 5 of every 6 houses have at least one dog. I have never seen poo on the sidewalk. Perhaps in some areas teaching your dog not to poo on concrete could rectify this.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:14 am
Banned

Me too. So much of one's perception of Britain relates to the small geographic area in which they live, and many could resolve their frustrations by simply moving elsewhere in Britain.
This is what I dont understand, I had someone on Facebook a week or so ago talk about the 'shithole' they left to go to Australia. I mentioned that I most certainly dont live in a shithole and wouldnt it have been easier to move a relatively short distance to one of the 1000's of nice areas? They lived in inner Manchester and also said the whole country was over run by Muslims so you can guess the sort of people they were and quite frankly Australia is welcome to them.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Where I live at least 5 of every 6 houses have at least one dog. I have never seen poo on the sidewalk. Perhaps in some areas teaching your dog not to poo on concrete could rectify this.
Yes same as were we live, being in a rural area the village is literally full of dogs yet no poo on the pavements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.