What was the final straw for you?

Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

[QUOTE=Dreamaway 10]Hi Rooksie I have just been browsing through the posts and I think I may have missed something ! Duh! on my part.
Very interesting to see you are back home.
As I can recall you left almost the same time as me.You left before me I think. I was the one who was stressing over the house sale on hindsite it was an omen not to go.Should have followed my intuition but you know what its like.Got to try it as you will always be thinking what if.,etc.
Now don't get me wrong I also noticed that you were in Caloundra we went there a few weeks ago and I have to say I was not impressed at all.
I think you just know that its not right some know straight away others take considerably longer.
Where I am is beautiful it really is but I have made my mind up and we too are coming home.
I wish I had never sold my home but I did.
At the end of the day it has been a real eye opener and I have learnt an awful lot about myself.
Just hope I do not regret it when we move back I think that could be awful.
Anyway glad to hear that you are settled now and have a little one.
I have realised that the village I used to live in has everything I want for my children and know that we can make a go of it.Makes you realise that the UK is not all bad and that's probably why there are so many people living there.[/QUOTEI too wish I had never sold my home in the Uk.We had trouble with the sale someone trying to tell us something but didn't listen.I wish I could turn back the clock but can't.I lived in a village and the one thing that has struck me is how soul less this place is.Just going into the village you would see someone for a chat.All the elderly people out in the village and the community of the place.I see them sitting on their verandahs here and the woman across the road must be 75 she some times sees no one to talk to.I have to wait a couple of years before I can get back to live but I am off in January to a wedding can't wait.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

by the seaside and your point is?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
more community not so boring???????????????????
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:56 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gasdoctor
Final straw for me was that after doing a 40hr week we were still struggling with finances and again thought wether to cut out the broadband or cable. dont get me wrong but we dont go ou, no holidays, no family a crashed up car worth 300 dols now we looking to cut back further, I am tradesman for christ sake and meant to be in demand here. we came for a better life and frankly its a nitemare. too tired to fight on
We're the same - promises of $$$$$s for trades men?? It must be a big fat ploy to get all the tradies out here. Skills shortage??? What flaming skills shortage?? There are tonnes of em all out here. All working like dogs for peanuts. I'm not sure about other industries but I work for a trade association and have been told that there are no more 4year apprenticeships for plasterers in Australia - most training will be on the job and it will take as long as it takes so a guy could be qualified in six months. Remember NVQs?

Australia's answer to the skills shortage = send a message to the rest of the world that there are mega bucks to be made so all the tradies will flock in and then we can bin off training people properly ourselves.

My husband is a brickie and we used to have several holidays a year, money in the bank to buy whatever we wanted and we went out all the time. Now we are stuck in all the time, cant pay the bills, cant go out and cant even afford a weekend away, let alone a proper holiday. I even scour Bi-Lo for the cheapest brands of everything!! Can't wait to get back home and start living again! Living here is like going back to the 80s recession days for us.

The weather's nice though
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
so am I
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:52 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rooksie I have just been browsing through the posts and I think I may have missed something ! Duh! on my part.
Very interesting to see you are back home.
As I can recall you left almost the same time as me.You left before me I think. I was the one who was stressing over the house sale on hindsite it was an omen not to go.Should have followed my intuition but you know what its like.Got to try it as you will always be thinking what if.,etc.
Now don't get me wrong I also noticed that you were in Caloundra we went there a few weeks ago and I have to say I was not impressed at all.
I think you just know that its not right some know straight away others take considerably longer.
Where I am is beautiful it really is but I have made my mind up and we too are coming home.
I wish I had never sold my home but I did.
At the end of the day it has been a real eye opener and I have learnt an awful lot about myself.
Just hope I do not regret it when we move back I think that could be awful.
Anyway glad to hear that you are settled now and have a little one.
I have realised that the village I used to live in has everything I want for my children and know that we can make a go of it.Makes you realise that the UK is not all bad and that's probably why there are so many people living there.

Hi!! only just seen this - it almost missed me. i dont regret for a minute coming home, our children are back at school with their friends and the eldest in particular is getting on great - she REALLY HATED australia and it affected her quite badly. its horrible seeing your kids like that. i know people say they adapt but it would have just been plain cruel to make her stay and i wasnt prepared to do it. we came home and are expecting our third daughter in a few weeks - Happy Days!

sorry youre not getting on well either. we also sold our house - all part of lifes rich tapestry eh!

i love torquay - its got everything i want so why did we move - d'uh!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:50 pm
Banned

Truebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the rough

Dreamaway 10, I sympathise with your position entirely. Reading your post brings back to life all my experiences of living in Australia for 12 months. My friends all tried to talk me out of it, some I even alienated because I thought they were jealous. My neighbours were also good friends and I dismissed them as interfering and didn’t speak to them very much when we left the UK.

We returned back to the UK in 2005, back to the same village, even the same street but due to a lack of cash we could only buy a much smaller property. The kids had to go to a different school as their places had been filled. At the end of the day though this doesn’t matter to me, I am much happier now and even won back the friends I managed to alienate. At the end of the day friends and family (even if slightly difficult at times) count for a lot!

In OZ my partner bought into a small computer business that cost us £40,000. This entailed supplying PC’s to home and small businesses, it was never successful like in the UK and we believe this was in part due to the anti British reception we had to endure.

When I add the cost up of what we lost it amounted to £60000. This includes the hit we took on the business and the cost of getting to and retuning from OZ. Also we dropped our house price by £15000 in the UK for a quick sale. It was a shock getting back on the housing ladder in 2005!

Well you learn by your mistakes? I don’t think much of OZ nowadays. Still a good holiday destination though but then again I love a good Spanish holiday. How funny, I couldn’t stop talking about OZ 2 years ago to friends, god I must have sounded boring!

Anyway pack your bags Dreamaway 10 and come back HOME you are making the right decision. Send ALL your friends (good or bad) a post card informing them you will be back soon, tell them you have lived the dream and should have listened to them all, you will be surprised how everyone will rally round you…. Kids & I love being back with our friends and family, can’t wait for another good old fashioned British Christmas and those winter frosts, followed by the summer heat wave that reminds me of OZ.

All the best
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:06 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truebritt
Dreamaway 10, I sympathise with your position entirely. Reading your post brings back to life all my experiences of living in Australia for 12 months. My friends all tried to talk me out of it, some I even alienated because I thought they were jealous. My neighbours were also good friends and I dismissed them as interfering and didn’t speak to them very much when we left the UK.

We returned back to the UK in 2005, back to the same village, even the same street but due to a lack of cash we could only buy a much smaller property. The kids had to go to a different school as their places had been filled. At the end of the day though this doesn’t matter to me, I am much happier now and even won back the friends I managed to alienate. At the end of the day friends and family (even if slightly difficult at times) count for a lot!

In OZ my partner bought into a small computer business that cost us £40,000. This entailed supplying PC’s to home and small businesses, it was never successful like in the UK and we believe this was in part due to the anti British reception we had to endure.

When I add the cost up of what we lost it amounted to £60000. This includes the hit we took on the business and the cost of getting to and retuning from OZ. Also we dropped our house price by £15000 in the UK for a quick sale. It was a shock getting back on the housing ladder in 2005!

Well you learn by your mistakes? I don’t think much of OZ nowadays. Still a good holiday destination though but then again I love a good Spanish holiday. How funny, I couldn’t stop talking about OZ 2 years ago to friends, god I must have sounded boring!

Anyway pack your bags Dreamaway 10 and come back HOME you are making the right decision. Send ALL your friends (good or bad) a post card informing them you will be back soon, tell them you have lived the dream and should have listened to them all, you will be surprised how everyone will rally round you…. Kids & I love being back with our friends and family, can’t wait for another good old fashioned British Christmas and those winter frosts, followed by the summer heat wave that reminds me of OZ.

All the best
Brilliant post. It's so good to hear how, after your bad experiences you have come through it all and are now so happy again . We will most likely be returning after only 12 months here as we just can't justify staying longer (financial reasons). Its reassuring to know that you can go back and settle into life again quite quickly - we are really worried that we will miss our life here, it's such a huge upheaval again and one I'm really worried about. It's certainly been an experience coming out here and we've seen some lovely places and met some great people but it's been a very costly adventure. Good luck and well done!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Truebritt

All the best
Thankyou so much!!!
I have sent you a pm.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:34 pm
Banned

Truebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the roughTruebritt is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou so much!!!
I have sent you a pm.
Thank you LouiseD and Dreamaway 10; your compliments and posts are of great comfort to me also. Please just bear in mind that in terms of years and compared to the rest of your lives this is just a small chapter, if you are not happy now it could bring the rest of your family down too. You have to do what your heart tells you, forget the cost!

Dreamaway I have sent you a PM.

Both of you take care and whatever decision you make I am sure it will be the right one....
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

My final straw (in NZ) was getting a stomach ulcer and being very ill, going back to the UK (and Europe in general) for a couple of months and realising I didn't have to take my tablets (which I'd been on about 8 a day of for 18 months) after about two days. I returned to NZ and was back on the tablets within a couple of weeks. I also realised that the personality I had arrived in NZ with had completely disappeared but started to return during my two month trip back to Europe. It wasn't that i missed the Uk so much (I now live in Italy), just that I couldn't bear (and nor could my stomach) being in NZ.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
My final straw (in NZ) was getting a stomach ulcer and being very ill, going back to the UK (and Europe in general) for a couple of months and realising I didn't have to take my tablets (which I'd been on about 8 a day of for 18 months) after about two days. I returned to NZ and was back on the tablets within a couple of weeks. I also realised that the personality I had arrived in NZ with had completely disappeared but started to return during my two month trip back to Europe. It wasn't that i missed the Uk so much (I now live in Italy), just that I couldn't bear (and nor could my stomach) being in NZ.

Interesting point about your health, amazing what stress can do.

We initially looked into Italy if we didnt get our visas for Oz, but were a little worried as we dont speak the language and were concerned about jobs.

How have you found Italy?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Interesting point about your health, amazing what stress can do.

We initially looked into Italy if we didnt get our visas for Oz, but were a little worried as we dont speak the language and were concerned about jobs.

How have you found Italy?
Italy is great! Good food, wine, people, language, culture.

learning the language is a challenge - but a good one! I feel very proud and intelligent everyday when i learn a new word.

I teach English and do proofreading so jobs not a problem for me here (and boyfriend an aircraft engineer so work for him good and plentiful too).

Negative: bureaucracy, but even that makes me chuckle.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:50 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Italy is great! Good food, wine, people, language, culture.

learning the language is a challenge - but a good one! I feel very proud and intelligent everyday when i learn a new word.

I teach English and do proofreading so jobs not a problem for me here (and boyfriend an aircraft engineer so work for him good and plentiful too).

Negative: bureaucracy, but even that makes me chuckle.

Ive been to Bellagio and loved it, gorgeous place and I couldnt believe how beautiful it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.