Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What do you appreciate most about your life right now

What do you appreciate most about your life right now

Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you appreciate most about your life right now

Just wondering if there are many people who had to leave the UK, to actually realise that the UK isn't that bad? Maybe you moaned about the weather before and now love it, or you never really visited other parts of the country and do it now. There are so many places to see (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands etc.).
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you appreciate most about your life right now

Living in a stone house, in a village that is mostly hundreds of years old. Footpaths and access to the countryside - with my dog. Churches. Stately homes. Having an intelligent conversation. Bantering. Radio 6. Never having to do long haul flights again unless I want to. Proper pubs. Being away from the same expat questions that everybloodybody asks. Being able to visit family easily. Amazon. Waitrose. Chip shops. Good cheese without a mortgage! France a short hop away. I could go on all day.....
Old Feb 18th 2015, 3:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not having to work lo live.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Being retired, especially as my husband is too! My first UK winter for many years during which there have been so many sunny, lovely days. Lots of lovely food available...too much in fact! Seeing the bulbs sprouting heading the approach of spring. Seeing my children and grandchildren regularly now. I am just filled with happiness being here.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think the UK was bad before I left but I definitely appreciate it more now.

For nine years in the US I felt from low-level anxiety to panic the whole time. That disappeared when I moved back, which makes a big difference to my quality of life.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just wondering if there are many people who had to leave the UK, to actually realise that the UK isn't that bad?
whinging Pom post ...

I never 'had to leave' the UK, I made it a choice to get the hell away.

Of course time heals & here we are 48 years later 'thinking' it might not be so bad to move back to live, yet - be total strangers, foreigners in our 'homeland'. From reading the threads, it would seem 'the longer one is away' the less likely it is to remember what was all wrong with Britain of the days you left

Compared to where we live today, (anyone can pick at things) looking at the mess, the violence, peoples attitudes & outlook on life in 'little Britain' - I don't think that (for now) we could settle back there.

I suppose we could give it a go, try it out, see how it feels, then likely have a good old whinge about all that is wrong with the UK.

For today, knowing we can get a quick fix visit, is as good as it gets
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Living in a stone house, in a village that is mostly hundreds of years old. Footpaths and access to the countryside - with my dog. Churches. Stately homes. Having an intelligent conversation. Bantering. Radio 6. Never having to do long haul flights again unless I want to. Proper pubs. Being away from the same expat questions that everybloodybody asks. Being able to visit family easily. Amazon. Waitrose. Chip shops. Good cheese without a mortgage! France a short hop away. I could go on all day.....
Happy for you, really happy.

It all sounds so.... 'what is it - I just cant put the words together'

there have to be a few things that don't go down well for you living in the UK & things that you miss from where you left to return back home?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Happy for you, really happy.

It all sounds so.... 'what is it - I just cant put the words together'

there have to be a few things that don't go down well for you living in the UK & things that you miss from where you left to return back home?
Thanks! And oh, of course, nowhere is perfect, and we take ourselves with us wherever we travel

I miss the clear skies, the ocean and wild swimming. I miss proper sushi. I miss the cleanliness that comes from having a lower density of humans.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! And oh, of course, nowhere is perfect, and we take ourselves with us wherever we travel

I miss the clear skies, the ocean and wild swimming. I miss proper sushi. I miss the cleanliness that comes from having a lower density of humans.
It's good to hear that you're enjoying life and indeed nowhere is perfect.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

whinging Pom post ...

Of course time heals & here we are 48 years later 'thinking' it might not be so bad to move back to live, yet - be total strangers, foreigners in our 'homeland'. From reading the threads, it would seem 'the longer one is away' the less likely it is to remember what was all wrong with Britain of the days you left

Compared to where we live today, (anyone can pick at things) looking at the mess, the violence, peoples attitudes & outlook on life in 'little Britain' - I don't think that (for now) we could settle back there.

I suppose we could give it a go, try it out, see how it feels, then likely have a good old whinge about all that is wrong with the UK.

Wow you sound like a riot, do you do children's parties?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:23 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Wow you sound like a riot, do you do children's parties?
only in 'Mendip'
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

only in 'Mendip'

The Mendip shut down some years ago but now it's making sense.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not quite so idyllic or pastoral as some other responses, but at this particular point in time, I really appreciate the UK's flexible and generous tax treatment of investments such as pensions and ISAs (thank you coalition government - never thought I'd hear myself say that).

The US doesn't come near it for my particular life and career stage. Roll on retirement, 5 years earlier than it would have come if I were still in the US. As my best friend's daughter would say, "Thank you baby Jesus"
Old Feb 19th 2015, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

whinging Pom post ...

Violence?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 1:20 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a stone house, in a village that is mostly hundreds of years old. Footpaths and access to the countryside - with my dog. Churches.
I'm far from qualified to comment on "Life in the UK" (it's been a long time), but those are sentiments I share. My village was thriving at the time Columbus sailed, and my house is older than the US. The countryside is just like it's been for hundreds of years. What's not to like?

If someone were "returning" from the US or Canada, I'd have to believe that would be a major attraction.

If my frequent trips to England are any indication, I'd have to agree with some of that too. I rarely feel particularly "safe" in British cities, it's certainly not particularly "clean", people's attitudes and outlook, well, not exactly "open" or enthusiastic, but generally pretty closed-minded and pessimistic.

On the other hand, I do find it curious how Brits will defend Britain's honour religiously, yet those that live there often whinge endlessly about how shite it is.

But then, Brits living here in Spain often whinge endlessly about how "un-British" it is here, so it's a confusing set of character issues to sort...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.