Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What do you appreciate most about your life right now

What do you appreciate most about your life right now

Old Feb 21st 2015, 3:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you appreciate most about your life right now

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just got back from a walk across the Moor to the Stables Cafe for a bacon butty and a cup of coffee. Ah the simple pleasures in life.

that in itself is one of the joys of living in the UK
Old Feb 21st 2015, 3:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
From how you come across on the forum not2old, I don't think you would fit in to the UK anymore. 48 years is such a long time, and you will have been changed so much by your new world experiences in Canada and Oz.

I don't perceive that in your many posts. Of course it is near impossible to judge on the mere basis of forum postings, but that's my impression FWIW.
Pretty much on the button Shard.

Rather than the UK, it would likely have to be another foreign land (Malta#1, OZ, NZ, Norfolk Island) , for the reason I have realized (as you mention the 48 yrs) 'the memories of the past' the vast changes that have taken place (just like anywhere else) would disappoint us on our return.

One option is using the UK as a Holiday home, then a second place to live somewhere else would be ideal as the place to call home.

Hands are tied down at present, cos we have my FIL to look after, so its shorts jaunts, then back to the GTA till the 95 year old bugger pops his clogs & with the hope that we'll not end up to old & frail ourselves to make the dream possible.

The children want us to uproot & make the move yesterday

Last edited by not2old; Feb 21st 2015 at 3:46 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

In keeping with OP I would definitely say the weather. So manageable. I used to pine for cobalt blue summer skies in the summer, until I spent a few years under them and found them oppressive. Equally, damp grey winter can be comforting (though I have had my fill for this year). All the other positives I never lost sight of so can't say that I rediscovered them.
True and spring is on it's way. I have a friend who lives in Hawaii (Oahu) and he's starting to get sick of the weather + many other things. Many people think he lives in paradise, but when you have to work and make a living it's a complete different story. He now dreams of British summers and even a damp grey winter
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
True and spring is on it's way. I have a friend who lives in Hawaii (Oahu) and he's starting to get sick of the weather + many other things. Many people think he lives in paradise, but when you have to work and make a living it's a complete different story. He now dreams of British summers and even a damp grey winter
Well, I think I could handle Oahu! Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

island fever
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:12 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I live on an island and never get island fever.
But to be fair, this island is quite a bit larger than Oahu, we do have "seasons" (so to speak), and the mainland is a 30 min. flight, not 5 hrs.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I also live on an island (a sceptre'd one in a silver sea) but do get island fever!
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think I could handle Oahu! Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater
Well, if you have the money and can escape every now and then I suppose there are worse places. It's different on a holiday and you don't see the problems, like having to pay half a million for a shed to at least have a decent living standard, high living costs, low salaries and many people who don't care about the environment and the government isn't bothered, as long as more tourists come. Island fever is another thing that can happen after a while.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 6:28 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you have the money and can escape every now and then I suppose there are worse places. It's different on a holiday and you don't see the problems, like having to pay half a million for a shed to at least have a decent living standard, high living costs, low salaries and many people who don't care about the environment and the government isn't bothered, as long as more tourists come. Island fever is another thing that can happen after a while.
I don't know how it is on Maui, but cost of living here is a fraction of the UK, and certainly less than most of continental Europe. But jobs? Yeah, little chance.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
I don't know how it is on Maui, but cost of living here is a fraction of the UK, and certainly less than most of continental Europe. But jobs? Yeah, little chance.
Mallorca is bigger and it's easy to get to mainland and as mentioned, at least you have the seasons.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

True and spring is on it's way. I have a friend who lives in Hawaii (Oahu) and he's starting to get sick of the weather + many other things. ...
It is a bit like with seasonal fruits and veggies . Usually I am so looking forward to the seasonal fruits and veggies to appear in the supermarket thinking how great it would be if I could eat them all year round. Then agriculture somehow manages to fulfill my wishes and the magic of waiting is gone forever
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I didn't think the UK was bad before I left but I definitely appreciate it more now.

For nine years in the US I felt from low-level anxiety to panic the whole time. That disappeared when I moved back, which makes a big difference to my quality of life.
I think that low-level anxiety to panic is how I feel living in NZ for the past 8 years. Probably explains why I've never been well since I've been here.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

True and spring is on it's way. I have a friend who lives in Hawaii (Oahu) and he's starting to get sick of the weather + many other things. Many people think he lives in paradise, but when you have to work and make a living it's a complete different story. He now dreams of British summers and even a damp grey winter;)
Sounds like heaven to me (I'm in Florida)
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I think that low-level anxiety to panic is how I feel living in NZ for the past 8 years. Probably explains why I've never been well since I've been here.
Same. Can't seem to fit in, even after 30+ years
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:29 pm
Banned

I think that's a "British" thing. Most Brits have difficulty adjusting to a distinctly "not British" lifestyle here too (notwithstanding those in the British expat areas of course, which I reckon accounts for most). The Germans, Scandinavians, Dutch, French... for the most part seem to settle and blend in like natives. Most speak Spanish, few complain about food...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.