Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK living costs versus Australia costs

UK living costs versus Australia costs

Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: UK living costs versus Australia costs

When i went back to UK last year i was so surprised at how cheap things seemed in Tesco's. But when i lived in UK i would never shop at Tesco's or Sainbury's as i used to think they were very expensive.
Having shopped in Coles for 2half years i realise how much cheaper food is in UK. Granted the meat is much better in OZ though.

As for the rest of my living costs, most things are the same if not abit dearer. Only thing cheaper for me is petrol.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:51 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
PMSL.. personally, i would have got him to fill the case with scampi fries
In with me new knickers .... noway

The food items that will be in there is Angel Delight for the kids, Double Deckers for OH and Galaxy choccie for me mmmmmm Im dribbling at the thought
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I came back from the U.K last Tuesday and have took my stock of minstrels, revels, turkish delight 20 in fact...And double deckers 15 of them....i even took back chocolate orange snowballs yum yum....I shall have to savour them for 3 weeks till my mum and dad come out and they have another list of sweets to take out...had my fill of strawberry bon bons have to tell them to take the toffee ones...

Suzanne
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:16 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

You're not the Vicar of Dibley by any chance pretending to be someone else on the forum.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svinnes
I came back from the U.K last Tuesday and have took my stock of minstrels, revels, turkish delight 20 in fact...And double deckers 15 of them....i even took back chocolate orange snowballs yum yum....I shall have to savour them for 3 weeks till my mum and dad come out and they have another list of sweets to take out...had my fill of strawberry bon bons have to tell them to take the toffee ones...

Suzanne
35 chocolate bars in 3 weeks! Even I can't eat that much chocolate!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:19 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Suzanne
have to say, i have no idea how they make the chocolate taste so crap here.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
My wife bought some macadamia and ginger chocolate clusters from the Ginger factory the other day.

We are feeding them to the possums and scrub turkeys to try and encourage them to move on.

they could not have been for human consumption....could they?

G
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:25 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
My wife bought some macadamia and ginger chocolate clusters from the Ginger factory the other day.

We are feeding them to the possums and scrub turkeys to try and encourage them to move on.

they could not have been for human consumption....could they?

G
try a turkish delight. nasty, nasty muck. even the dairy milk tastes weird and not in a nice way. could do with losing a few pounds though, so may be a bonus
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

And I've heard the Gelato's shit in Coogee.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
35 chocolate bars in 3 weeks! Even I can't eat that much chocolate!
With kids help i hasten to add....they have to share 1 double decker as i get the whole one......haven't ate them all yet but doing a good job getting through them..
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:35 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it an incentive by Anna Bligh to help beat obesity by making it inedible? If you do manage to swallow it, it works as a laxative.

Apparantly.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sel
Galaxy choccie for me mmmmmm Im dribbling at the thought

Arghhhhh you rotter. Why did you mention that. I'm so drooling at the thought of Galaxy now I've got to go to the British shop and pay $3 for a teeny little bar I'm that desperate
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:24 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Suzanne
Terry's chocolate orange OOOOOOHHHHHHH totally forgot about those, I am emailing my dad straight away !!!!

I will have to find a better hiding place for my new stash as eldest found my old place .... my stocks will not be replenished as soon as yours ya lucky bugger !!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:27 am
sel
~~~

Originally Posted by crystal23
Arghhhhh you rotter. Why did you mention that. I'm so drooling at the thought of Galaxy now I've got to go to the British shop and pay $3 for a teeny little bar I'm that desperate
It will be worth every creamy, yummy mouthful. Just buy 4 bars and shut your eyes when you pay
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:53 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

On the whole I think the UK is much cheaper than here in Oz. Certainly with things we have had to buy.

Food is definatley cheaper with the quality and choice being much better than here. Fruit and veg is expensive here and very poor quality. Today we saw peaches at $2.50 each at IGA! Not that good either!

Drinks especially spirits are expensive.

Clothes much cheaper in the UK and again better quality even if bought in Tesco or Sainsburys it outlasts the K Mart rubbish that is sold here which is not made to last a few washes!

Having to pay for an education, booklists, uniform is more expensive as we would be going to a decent free school in the UK.

Eating out here not as cheap now. Better deals at pubs and restaurants back in the UK.

Houses too when you convert the money back are similar now. We are moving back and looking at houses and are seeing some great houses just as big as here but with a decent garden and views!

Ordered our new car in the UK already and cheaper than here with more extras included.

Electrical goods, mobiles etc all cheaper in the UK.

A few things more expensive like the petrol and car insurance but on the whole won't be any worse off there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.