Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK living costs versus Australia costs

UK living costs versus Australia costs

Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:55 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK living costs versus Australia costs

As we're returning to the UK next year, we've been comparing costs. I thought others might find this an interesting topic.

Income tax is 20% in the UK, it's 28% here.

There is no VAT on basics like food and clothing, there is GST on some foods and clothing here.

Food is much more expensive here than in the UK because options are far more limited.

Despite bananas being grown here, this week they were more expensive per kilo than Sainsbury's.

I am currently being charged $360 a year for hosting my web site. After a dispute with the hosting company, I've just signed upto a hosting company in the UK for less than $100 a year.

Internet connection is much more expensive.

So is satellite and digital TV.

Interest rates are at 7.25% here, in the UK they are 3%.

Depending on what you do for work, wages are similar but the cost of living here is more expensive.

Seeing a doctor here costs you $48 every visit. Seeing a doctor in the UK is free.

There is little competition in the way of energy companies so they are far more expensive than the UK.

It costs more in air conditioning than it does in heating in the UK.

Rates bills include, ambulance, street cleaning, park maintenance and additional costs to maintain a location that is nowhere near where I live so i don't use it.

Electricity bills include anbulance cover so it seems we get double charged for this just in case we get hit twice in one day i guess.

When we're told to save water and we have to abide by the current severe water restrictions, the council forget that they won't be able to charge us the normal levy for water rates. Hence they double our rates for everything else to cover any shortfall.

In Australia, our weekly outgoings are currently $1474.

In England, they would be $965.

These figures are based on the following;

Mortgage
Private health cover
Food
Petrol
Rates
Trauma Cover insurance
Telephone
Internet
Car
Satellite TV
Electricity
Body Corporate Insurance
Boat
Going out.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:05 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all
Default Re: UK living costs versus Australia costs

Not cost of living but travelling is also cheaper - a short haul flight in the UK can be had for at least half as much as the same in Oz, & in Oz you will still be in Oz after your flight whereas in the UK you can be in one of a dozen different countries!

I'd also say clothing is cheaper in the UK cos of the range available, including supermarket ranges & the fact ebay is used much more. On the other hand, you need less clothing in Oz as the climate is effectively the same all year round.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:13 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I go through a lot more clothing because it's so hot. A few washes and it gets thrown out because it's all out of China and doesn't last.

Amazing difference in costs. It's a good exercise for anyone leaving the UK or returning. I am pleasantly surprised. Wait till the next person grumbles in my ear that the UK is fat too expensive a place to live.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:18 pm
Banned

I forgot to add......something else just to compare.

A loaf of Tesco's own white bread is 79 cents. A loaf of Coles own white bread is $1.79.

Plus Tesco's loaf weighs 800 grms. Coles bread weighs 600 grms.

A bit nit picking i know but it's the marginal things that will make a difference to hard up family doing it tough. 200 grms is a lot.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I forgot to add......something else just to compare.

A loaf of Tesco's own white bread is 79 cents. A loaf of Coles own white bread is $1.79.

Plus Tesco's loaf weighs 800 grms. Coles bread weighs 600 grms.

A bit nit picking i know but it's the marginal things that will make a difference to hard up family doing it tough. 200 grms is a lot.
I think the reality of actual living costs versus predicted living costs may shock you. I was whinging to my stepmum yesterday about the price of stuff here and how much things had gone up and she said her shopping for 2 adults was now at least 100 quid a week. Her gas had just gone up from 37 GBP a month to 80, her electric from 50 quid to 95 quid. Her council tax for a 4 bed detached in Cambridgeshire was now 1500 GBP. It is certainly a lot more expensive to live in the UK now than it was when I left 3 years ago, just like things have gone up here. I did a theoretical shop on tesco.com with things I used to buy 3 years ago. I used to spend about 90 GBP a week, similar stuff was now 125. Similar rise to my shopping bills here.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

As we're returning to the UK next year, we've been comparing costs. I thought others might find this an interesting topic.

Income tax is 20% in the UK, it's 28% here. The basic rate is 22%

There is no VAT on basics like food and clothing, there is GST on some foods and clothing here. Adult clothes do carry VAT, so does served food

Food is much more expensive here than in the UK because options are far more limited. Disagree, we eat better in Aus and its cheaper

Despite bananas being grown here, this week they were more expensive per kilo than Sainsbury's. Agreed

I am currently being charged $360 a year for hosting my web site. After a dispute with the hosting company, I've just signed upto a hosting company in the UK for less than $100 a year. Agreed

Internet connection is much more expensive. Agreed

So is satellite and digital TV. Agreed, but its still crap

Interest rates are at 7.25% here, in the UK they are 3%. rates are higher, but you get more house for your $ over here. Our house in the UK is half the size of its equivalent in OZ

Depending on what you do for work, wages are similar but the cost of living here is more expensive. Our $ goes much further here than our sterling in the UK

Seeing a doctor here costs you $48 every visit. Seeing a doctor in the UK is free. What about National Insurance payments you make even if you dont visit the doctor ?

There is little competition in the way of energy companies so they are far more expensive than the UK. UK has the most expensive energy in the developed world

It costs more in air conditioning than it does in heating in the UK. No Chance

Rates bills include, ambulance, street cleaning, park maintenance and additional costs to maintain a location that is nowhere near where I live so i don't use it. Rates (Council Tax) are extortionate when you consider what you get for your money

Electricity bills include anbulance cover so it seems we get double charged for this just in case we get hit twice in one day i guess. ???? Ambulance cover on your leccy bill ?

When we're told to save water and we have to abide by the current severe water restrictions, the council forget that they won't be able to charge us the normal levy for water rates. Hence they double our rates for everything else to cover any shortfall.water rates are about 600 sterling even if you dont turn the tap on, water meters are also very expensive

In Australia, our weekly outgoings are currently $1474.

In England, they would be $965. If this includes your mortgage, do you live in a tent ?

These figures are based on the following;

Mortgage
Private health cover
Food
Petrol
Rates
Trauma Cover insurance
Telephone
Internet
Car
Satellite TV
Electricity
Body Corporate Insurance
Boat
Going out.

I dont get this

Stu
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So far we are finding life in Brisbane far more expensive than in Derbyshire.

G
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:16 am
Banned

Stu, these are my findings based on how we live on the Gold Coast against how we would live on returning to the UK.

The Gold Goast, as most people find when they move here, is very expensive. The UK is much cheaper in comparison.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
I dont get this

Stu
Me neither ..if only it was so......
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:21 am
Banned

Oh and the much bigger house you get compared to the UK? It costs far more to run and maintain.
I've lived in the big 4 bedroomed, sparkling pool, big yard and yep. Definately costs more than the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and the much bigger house you get compared to the UK? It costs far more to run and maintain.
I've lived in the big 4 bedroomed, sparkling pool, big yard and yep. Definately costs more than the UK.
My house here is smaller than my house in the UK and cost 40% more.

It is expensive to live in a decent area.

G
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
My house here is smaller than my house in the UK and cost 40% more.

It is expensive to live in a decent area.

G
I agree Grayling. I've moved to a smaller townhouse from my 4 bedroomed larger house. The bills are not much less than before. My house is in a very good area but it costs a fortune to live here. In 5 years of being here, costs have only gone one way and kept going. Upwards.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:41 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

it is all swings and roundabouts. personally I am always amazed here at how much money we have left over at months end. you also have to compare apples and apples. quoting $ 43 for a docs visit without mentioning paying in the region of 60-70 quid every week for nat ins, and that medicare gives back a portion of the fee for example.
claiming that either place is cheaper really depends on a huge amount of factors and no one is in the same boat.
I don't doubt that some of you may find oz more expensive but not everyone would agree
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:55 am
Banned

It does depend on where you are in your life, your needs, expectations and current lifestyle. When I left the UK, I had a large 4 bedroomed house in a good area. My townhouse here in Australia is a third of the size and has recently been valued at what i sold my 4 bedroomed house for in the UK 6 years ago.
Having said this property on the Gold Coast is expensive because it's in demand.

Today I wouldn't want another big house. I don't need it and i don't want the housework, gardening or maintenance that goes with it. I want to do other things like following my passion. Neither do I want a big gas guzzling car again.

In this case, I can afford to go back to the UK and live very differently to how I lived there before because I don't want or need as much. My expectation is different.

All I'm saying is that if anyone is moving here because they think the UK is expensive, and I strongly dispute that it is, bear in mind that the perceived 'better lifestyle' and the 'much bigger than in the UK house' costs big money.

I am in touch with friends and family every day in the UK so I have spent the last few months comparing living costs in both countries. I've done this based on my own needs and lifestyle. Personally, I think the UK is cheaper but other people will have different needs and expectations therefore they will have different priorities on how they spend their money and how much their living costs are depending on how they live.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:57 am
Bitter and twisted

4 bedroomed houses in this area are selling for over a million dollars.....you could buy a similar house in most parts of the UK for that.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.