Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK living costs versus Australia costs

UK living costs versus Australia costs

Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK living costs versus Australia costs

Originally Posted by Tableland
Only they can't do that because Gordon Brown has destroyed the value of property in the UK for a generation.
Rubbish.

If the loss in value is all GB's fault then why not give him the credit for the ridiculous increases in value in the first place.

I remember the house price crash caused by the Tory's incompetence and crookery.....why single out one Labour politician?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

IMHO...they are all as bad as one another
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:32 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket

I have ignored the last few attempts you make to bring my personal finances into this, and will continue to do so. My money is perfectly safe, thanks very much, because I knew all this was going to happen six months before the BBC started reporting it.

My concern therefore is not personal, but because I am able to see what massive damage is en route due to the effect of devaluing sterling. Imports are going to go through the roof, for one thing. And all the intelligent and sensibvle people you dismiss as idiots over the prats who spent other prople's money are going to get angry and take their money out of their 0% interest accounts and invest their money abroad: even more trouble for British banks.

As for you r comment about a lot of people losing their homes - no one has lost their home because they are not their homes to lose are they? If they borrowed more than they could afford by a wild margin (and these are the people who get their houses repossessed because they took a 40k load out to swan about in a hired BMW) then they deserve to lose the bank's home.

Those who "hoard" money , i.e., sensible savers and not greedy pigs, are now in a position to pay their mortgages off and actually make theier houses their own, for real. Only they can't do that because Gordon Brown has destroyed the value of property in the UK for a generation.

In terms of the unemployed thing, you shouldn't allow the analysis of one particular sector or in this case an individual project (Olympics) to provide you with an overview of the entire economy, which is the UK's case is absolutely screwed beyond all imagination. Id this country has only 3 million unemployed by 2010 then it may count itself truly blessed.

You obviously need to have a heart to heart with Gordon Brown. Then you need to see if you can get a job with the British press so that you can actively continue to destroy any sense of optimism and faith left in the British public.
Recessions aren't new. I am 49 and have been through 3 in living memory. Things come tumbling down but then they go up again. It's just the way it is.
You just batten down the hatches, tough it out and look forward to brighter days.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

It never ceases to amaze me how so many Brits come here expecting it to be a sunnier version of their homeland. This must be a colonial reflex. The reality is Australia is a very different country and differences are getting greater over time. It's pathetic to come here, buy a VW (because that's the car I would have bought in the UK) and then get outraged that it's not as good value for money as some other makes.

Some of these posts are quite dishonest. Claiming, for instance, that a visit to the GP costs $48 and failing to mention you get $26 back from medicare. Better still, if you visit a bulk billing doctor you don't pay at all.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Claiming, for instance, that a visit to the GP costs $48 and failing to mention you get $26 back from medicare. Better still, if you visit a bulk billing doctor you don't pay at all.

I wish

My GP cost $60 a visit....I get about half of that back.

G
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:14 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

What about all those non working people in the UK, like stay at home mothers, children, teenagers, elderly, disabled, etc, etc, who don't pay anything because it's a given that they have a right to see a doctor without money being an issue??? The NHS is one of the best health care providers in the while world and it's FREE to many people.

You know what? I'm sick of all those who say I 'm not telling the truth on my sums yet not one of you has posted any figures to prove any different.
Either put your money where you mouth is or just don't bother commenting.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Rubbish.

If the loss in value is all GB's fault then why not give him the credit for the ridiculous increases in value in the first place.

I remember the house price crash caused by the Tory's incompetence and crookery.....why single out one Labour politician?
Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally, I am sick of people dissing Gordon Brown
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Rubbish. If the loss in value is all GB's fault then why not give him the credit for the ridiculous increases in value in the first place.
But the reason the economy is collapsing is exactly because he allowed it to inflate so much, so the increase in value is nothing to be proud of. He presided over an unprecedented amount of borrowing, and now he is now deliberately devaluing the currency which will ruin a lot of people.

I recall it too, but there were important differences. The main problem Labour supporters have is that the Tories ruled Britain in the 20th Century for something like 75%, and Labour/Liberals for something like 25%. Yet the great depression broke out under the Liberal management of 1919 - 1922 (sure, the war), then the next major economic crisis happened under Labour/Liberals in 1929 - 1931, then they bankrupted the country in the 1970s and we had to get bailed out by the IMF, and now the same thing again. Each time "forinners are to blame" of course, but the fact remains that while in power for only a small percentage of the 20th Century, Labour trashed the economy many times, whereas the Tories ruled for the massive bulk of the century and yet they screwed up much less (1990s crash, EMU, etc).

I am neutral in this debate and I will not vote for any of the main parties, I just look at the history.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally, I am sick of people dissing Gordon Brown
Well, he is the guy that authorised all your gold to be sold at $200 an ounce just before it jumped to over $1000 an ounce. He is the guy that stole your pension, and he is the guy that gave Britain a bigger deficit than any country in earth but six.

Applause all round, I'm sure, but in the meantime, I have a right to be dissatisfied, and I will be happy when he is booted out in the late spring of 2010. I will add though, that my contempt for him is reserved very much for the political man, and I bear him no ill will at all, personally. I understand him to be very intelligent and charming, although my wife met him and said he was a bit odd.

Last edited by Tableland; Nov 16th 2008 at 7:08 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he is the guy that authorised all your gold to be sold at $200 an ounce just before it jumped to over $1000 an ounce. He is the guy that stole your pension, and he is the guy that gave Britain a bigger deficit than any country in earth but six.

Applause all round, I'm sure, but in the meantime, I have a right to be dissatisfied, and I will be happy when he is booted out in the late spring of 2010. I will add though, that my contempt for him is reserved very much for the political man, and I bear him no ill will at all, personally. I understand him to be very intelligent and charming, although my wife met him and said he was a bit odd.
You have every right to your opinion as I have mine.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
They are right for me in my circumstances based on what I own and earn.
It wasnt you I quoted, it was Stu.

I agree with you, and your standpoint, I argued for a long time that MY financial circumctances in the USA were considerably down on what they would be in the UK. And I was told by many, many people how wrong I was, and how stupid and blind I was for not seeing I was wrong just because you could get 2.1 dollars for a pound. It pissed me off for an even longer time, now, I couldn't give a flying kcuf.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; Nov 16th 2008 at 9:46 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:49 pm
Banned

Your negative attitude is what causes a recession. It's based on bitterness, resentfulness and fear. You are making a bad situation worse simply by blaming an easy target and exploiting the current crisis to propel your anger at a situation that most people, while frustrated by it, are dealing with relatively calmly.
If we all took on the attitude of blame, anger, resentment and fear, we'd all be facing a great deal of difficulty. But, personally, I believe that as long as world governments are now working fast to fix the damage, then we all have to get on board and help this process along. The alternatives aren't worth thinking about.
Britain does not have 3 million unemployed, that's a number that's been inflated by the press. But we haven't got into this situation yet so as they say, the show aint over till the fat lady sings.

You remind me of why living in Britain is so frustrating and this always creates a dilemma for me returning. You are negative and full of doom and gloom as are the media. It's no wonder Britain is enduring such a hard time.
Australia is having just same problems economically but the mood is much more upbeat and optimistic. This in turn is creating a sense of hope and where there is hope, there is progress. People here have faith that their country will ride through the storm and come out OK.

I am dismayed at your attitude and how you belittle and betray your own country and government. GB might not be your choice of leader but he is THE leader of Britain at the moment and I for one would rather back him and help him pull Britain out of the mire than attack him and watch my own country sink.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
It wasnt you I quoted, it was Stu.

I agree with you, and your standpoint, I argued for a long time that MY financial circumctances in the USA were considerably down on what they would be in the UK. And I was told by many, many people how wrong I was, and how stupid and blind I was for not seeing I was wrong just because you could get 2.1 dollars for a pound. It pissed me off for an even longer time, now, I couldn't give a flying kcuf.
Sorry Tootsie. Got carried away at the wrong poster. Humble apologies.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your negative attitude is what causes a recession. It's based on bitterness, resentfulness and fear. You are making a bad situation worse simply by blaming an easy target and exploiting the current crisis to propel your anger at a situation that most people, while frustrated by it, are dealing with relatively calmly.
If we all took on the attitude of blame, anger, resentment and fear, we'd all be facing a great deal of difficulty. But, personally, I believe that as long as world governments are now working fast to fix the damage, then we all have to get on board and help this process along. The alternatives aren't worth thinking about.
Britain does not have 3 million unemployed, that's a number that's been inflated by the press. But we haven't got into this situation yet so as they say, the show aint over till the fat lady sings.

You remind me of why living in Britain is so frustrating and this always creates a dilemma for me returning. You are negative and full of doom and gloom as are the media. It's no wonder Britain is enduring such a hard time.
Australia is having just same problems economically but the mood is much more upbeat and optimistic. This in turn is creating a sense of hope and where there is hope, there is progress. People here have faith that their country will ride through the storm and come out OK.

I am dismayed at your attitude and how you belittle and betray your own country and government. GB might not be your choice of leader but he is THE leader of Britain at the moment and I for one would rather back him and help him pull Britain out of the mire than attack him and watch my own country sink.
Same here in the US. Optimism does help in situations like this. I also do not like the type of negativity that is attached to some British people. It is so off-putting to say the least
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Your negative attitude is what causes a recession.
Wrong. Mismanagement by government and greed causes recession. People who think you can "talk your way" into a recession know nothing about economics.

But, personally, I believe that as long as world governments are now working fast to fix the damage, then we all have to get on board and help this process along.
Governments are working hard to save a debt-based global economy based on a fractional reserve banking system which represents the interests of the wealthy and leaves the bottom of society struggling for air.

Britain does not have 3 million unemployed, that's a number that's been inflated by the press.
Wrong again. This figure comes from the CBI, not the press. They are trying to warn people, but you show that some people simply have their fingers in their ears.

Australia is having just same problems economically but the mood is much more upbeat and optimistic.
It hasn't hit Australia yet, You are several months behind. When you're losing 15% off house prices in a year watch the cheer disappear.

I am dismayed at your attitude and how you belittle and betray your own country and government. GB might not be your choice of leader but he is THE leader of Britain at the moment and I for one would rather back him and help him pull Britain out of the mire than attack him and watch my own country
Despite Labour's best efforts, Britain is still, just, a liberal democracy, and therefore I can criticise the PM if I want to. In this case, supporting the PM is only making things worse, as his are the policies that have destroyed the nation. No true British patriot could support Gordon Brown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.