Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:49 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Desperate to leave Australia and go back home? Yes ain't that the truth. I cannot wait, thank you very much.

Oh and BTW this part of the forum is called MOVING BACK TO THE UK.
You go Beedubya...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:24 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
You've clearly missed the point! I am comparing my experience to Spain where I currently live to that of the Uk - have you lived in Spain, do you know what it's like to find work here, no, I didn't think so. This is why I said what I said, I too am going back with no work yet it's so utterly miserable over here it's still the better and more hopeful option, until you've lived here and tried to survive here it's impossible for you to give your comments. Here in Spain if you lose your job you get some assistance for a few months then it runs out totally, the UK offers more help to those out of work. I also know that the other poster is married to a British guy so it's not as if she's going into the unknown, which would be stupid.
I am Spanish living in Spain, having returned a few years ago after being brought up in the UK since the age of 7.
I am doing well here in Spain, but I know what pain in Spain and Sergia are getting at.
There is a lot of slagging off the UK from expats in Spain, the UK is a hellhole and such.....I would rather be skint in the sun etc etc.

They dont know what they are talking about, the hoops you have to jump through to get a job in Spain is unbeliveable.

Some spend their life going from one bad job to another (Guatamala to Guatapeor)
There is really no long term support for the unemployed so you have to suck it up and spit it out.

No matter how black things seem in the UK at the moment, they have a long way to go to equal Spain.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
intresting (quote ' jobs exsist for accountants") I returned home for 7 months and struggled to find work I was too qualified otr the post was already filled advertised as a formality, I wanted to say but could not live on my savings for ever!
jobs exist for PARTLY and NEWLY qualified accountants, I reiterate!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS
I am Spanish living in Spain, having returned a few years ago after being brought up in the UK since the age of 7.
I am doing well here in Spain, but I know what pain in Spain and Sergia are getting at.
There is a lot of slagging off the UK from expats in Spain, the UK is a hellhole and such.....I would rather be skint in the sun etc etc.

They dont know what they are talking about, the hoops you have to jump through to get a job in Spain is unbeliveable.

Some spend their life going from one bad job to another (Guatamala to Guatapeor)
There is really no long term support for the unemployed so you have to suck it up and spit it out.

No matter how black things seem in the UK at the moment, they have a long way to go to equal Spain.
Yes JLFS, you know what it's like in Spain and like me you have a long experience with both here and the UK to be able to give a balanced view. Like I've said many times before, I am sick of the Brits here who slag off the UK and those in the UK who wrongly assume there's a better life elsewhere (which of course, sometimes there is) but it's so much part of our genetic make up to be negative and dismissive and big up everyone else except ourselves - of course if you are a proud Brit who loves their country you are labelled a fascist racist pretty quickly, maybe this is partly the reason for the way we've become.

My father left Spain in the early 60's after he met my English mum on the Costa Brava he couldn't wait to leave as he knew he'd have more opportunity in the UK. He didn't always have it easy though and I remember growing up my father constantly speaking about his country and how much he wanted to go back, my love for Spain came through him and this is what drove me to move here. Of course, what many don't realise is that things always look different from a distance, I was shocked with so many things after moving here and the UK began to look a much better alternative.

As you say, I've gone from one bad job to another and with each one have taken a much lower salary till it just can't go any lower, in my last job I was on 1000 euros per month, I was sacked in favour of keeping a girl who didn't have papers to work here and her pay was all cash, I've come up against this situation many times. I was lucky to have had a so called indefinite contract for 6 months (before that I too was paid cash) and this entitles me to 420 euros per month benefit for 6 months after which it is withdrawn completely. Since moving here 8.5 years ago I've been out of work every 6 to 18 months and often haven't had any benefits due to having had to accept unofficial salaries as there was no alternative. I've had to live on my savings for nearly half of the time I've lived here.

The UK is suffering at the moment, I am very informed on current affairs but would rather be back in London looking for work than here as quite frankly I've well and truly had enough!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

deborahjg is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the reasons we are heading back to Perth is the job situation for my hubby is better in Perth than in the UK. He was made redundant here and has had no luck at all on the job front. At 46 years old he doesn't want to wait any longer here as it's proving hopeless.

Looking on the job sites in Perth there are jobs there in his line of work to go for and he just wants to get back as soon as possible and start working again.

We live in the South-West but know another family who moved back and live in Kent and have been unemployed here ever since.

They are moving back to Perth in the Summer.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Sergia is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read that UK unemployment has risen. It is 7.9% and after reading everything here I am getting more and more worried. We want to go back to the Northeast in summer cos neither of us (my husband and I) have a permanent job. I sounds bad everywhere! However, unemployment rate in Spain is 20%.