Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

FrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really nice
Smile UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Having now made the decision to move back to the UK I feel very relaxed, determined and I have certainty that I am doing the right thing.

I am a bit scared on the job front though. Is it really as bad as the online media makes out? I can support myself for a about three months without any income.

Does anyone have any advice on this? What to do?

Can I claim unemployment benefit or other benefits when savings run out?

When I moved to NZ it was with the attitude that I would work in MacDonalds or Subway if I couldn't find a proper job but in reality I got a temporary office job within the first month and never looked back.

I personally don't know anyone who has lost their job in the UK.

Is mid forties considered old in the job market now?

Would love to hear of anybodys recent experiences in this area or plans to get a job!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:22 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Hey there

I too am looking to head back this Summer. I am looking for the same answers as you. I do not think the situation is as bad as it is portrayed. You just have to push the envelope as far as getting a job in the UK is conerned. Just sell yourself with all that NZ experience. Age doesn't really matter. It is all about what kind of value you can add. Hiring managers are all about the contribution you can make to the company's bottom line. Personally, I am both optimistic and anxious but confident I can find something decent. Good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK-OZ-UK -OZ HERE I COME AGAIN ! Back in Melbourne !!
McBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really nice

Hi,
When i moved back there in 2008 , i found the job scene in Cambridge, very hard, and very low paid.

Having said that , it depends on your trade?

Good luck
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

When we have been looking there seems to be loads of jobs for engineers and in healthcare. I'm hopeful anyway.

I hope you get lucky
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

I have been back from NZ since Jan and still no job we are now widening our search accross the south of the UK employers have become very picky and spec to the letter, ther are very few Mcdonalds or other jobs as I have tried this avenue as well no supermarkets within a 50 mile radius has any work I have never been unemployed more than 2 days and after 20 ywears have found this hard yes it is bad be prepared even the agencies have reported a slow down hopefully when the pantomine on the 6/5 is over things may look up!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McBaine
Hi,
When i moved back there in 2008 , i found the job scene in Cambridge, very hard, and very low paid.

Good luck
Hi McBaine,

Just being nosy...are you back in Australia now?

Also, I am hoping to move back this summer, and the only thing that worries me (big worry) is the job scene. I am a teacher and am well aware of the cutbacks in education in the UK (especially Scotland where I am from). In my unrealistic world, I move back and secure a position before the end of the summer. But, in my realistic world I worry that I will find nothing in any sector. Big worry..
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

I wouldn't say everything is peachy and rosy but it does depend to some extent on what your line of work is and where in the UK you're looking to live.

The upcoming election's probably not helping the situation at the moment but hopefully once the fun and games are over things will be heading in the right direction.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Good luck
Indeed....it depends on what you do.

My son has a very well paid job in Cambridge and has just turned down another job that he applied for to test what his options were.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK-OZ-UK -OZ HERE I COME AGAIN ! Back in Melbourne !!
McBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really nice

Hi Marmalade,
Yes i moved back to Victoria in 2009, quite a long story, but were are slowly rebuilding our lives again after ping poning a few times, LOL..

Gee, a crystal ball would be handy........

Goodluck
Old Apr 27th 2010, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marmalade,
Yes i moved back to Victoria in 2009, quite a long story, but were are slowly rebuilding our lives again after ping poning a few times, LOL..

Gee, a crystal ball would be handy........

Goodluck
Thanks. Yes, a crystal ball would help me out too...
Old Apr 27th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Work is there. I know of 6 people that have returned to the uk from spain where im currently living in the last 6 months and are all in work now. one is around 44 and she has full time now for the NHS, her husband at 50 has gone back to LGV full time, their son at 18 has found full time work too. All live in Liverpool.
Another friend has part time work but she admits she cannot be bothered looking for full time, my other friend has a job as a labourer and my ex went back and is working i think for tescos on the phones, not in the supermarket.

nothing is easy but if you look you will get work. Competition is stiffer than before granted but its all about determination. I cant understand people that have spent months looking and found nothing.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Being a qualified accountant in a specilaist area I have tried every other avenue in the south west unless I travel 50 miles for a supermarket job there is none other than standing on the street corner there is nothing hence why after 3 months I have not found anything and cast my net farther afield and will move if I have to to uprooting my family again, some people are lucky I apply for jobs every day I asaround everyday nothing here for even supermarket type jobs the first thing I get is over qualified hey I tried far more junior roles i did 20 years ago employers think I will be bored (brick wall and head come to mind) The OP friends are lucky IT DOES DEPEND WHERE YOU SETTLE AND WHAT YOUR SKILLS ARE!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Luton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really nice

I am currently working at Target in the states but when i return this june if i can get something similar, department store, supermarket, warehousing just to get in i will be ok. I can then go from there.
Old May 4th 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

FrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really nice

Ooh do keep positive everyone! With all these folks moving overseas surely they are leaving behind vacancies?

I am not sure if I need to upskill or downskill to increase my employment chances from reading all your replies! I've worked at everything from project manager to catering assistant and at most things in between.

Oh well, recessions are cyclical I guess so we must must be due to recover some time soon .........

At least the UK has benefits support - I just hope I am entitled to job seekers allowance when I move back or something similar to tide me over a bit. I've kept up my NI contributions when I lived overseas. Anyone know the qualifiers for these things?

Keep smiling ....
Old May 4th 2010, 10:39 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spainboy
Work is there. I know of 6 people that have returned to the uk from spain where im currently living in the last 6 months and are all in work now. one is around 44 and she has full time now for the NHS, her husband at 50 has gone back to LGV full time, their son at 18 has found full time work too. All live in Liverpool.
Another friend has part time work but she admits she cannot be bothered looking for full time, my other friend has a job as a labourer and my ex went back and is working i think for tescos on the phones, not in the supermarket.

nothing is easy but if you look you will get work. Competition is stiffer than before granted but its all about determination. I cant understand people that have spent months looking and found nothing.
That's a good sign of the economy. Can't be too bad if there's work in Liverpool..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.